• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch 2014 (2 Viewers)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Hope you all have a good Garden Birdwatch I'm doing mine tomorrow couldn't log in because of a tech issue on the website.

08.45 - 09.45 - in order of appearance

Collared Dove 2
Blue Tit 3
Magpie 1
Blackbird 6
Chaffinch 3
Starling 1
Woodpigeon 2
Greenfinch 3
Robin 1
Dunnock 1
Jackdaw 3
Coal Tit 1
Carrion Crow 1
Great Tit 1
Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 2
Lesser Redpoll 2

and website still down

It's still down at 3.45 this afternoon. So much for all this "advanced tech" . Back to snail-mail for me, at least that still works!!:C

Here's ny result from 11.20am-12.20pm

Woodpigeon 5

Feral Pigeon 1

Magpie 2

Blackbird 6

Blue Tit 1

Would have liked to have seen more small birds but it was just too wet but still enjoyable. Looking forward to Big Garden Birdwatch 2015.

This afternoon, I could see the birds queuing up on the end of the branches, and looking into my window, so I went out into the back garden to replemish the bird food. Great I thought time for the the Garden Bird Watch listing.

I went outdoors to replenish the feeders, it went really dark, and the heavens opened. The rain and hail came down hard, and all the birds went back into hiding once more - even my favourite Mr Blackbird did not want to ge this feathers wet.
Then it rained so hard I had to escape indoors, and left the feeders on the grass - then a huge gust of wind happened as I shut the back door. The wire guard for the ground feeder flew up into the air, and shot of to the back of the garden. I heard the plastic lid break in two in too. The extra water dish did the same thing like a flying saucer in the air. Help me auntie LOL

The wire guard is still useable, but the food on the lawn is not so waterproof - OH will have to get his tool kit out and get another lid for the ground feeder to keep the food dry.

Talk about the carry on films - there should be one for feeding birds in the high winds.

I will do my listing tomorrow now!

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Here's my list from St. Agnes in the Isles of Scilly. 12:00 to 13:00

4 Song Thrushes
4 Blackbirds
2 Redwings
4 Starlings
1 Blue Tit
1 Chaffinch
1 Dunnock
2 Robins
3 Collared Doves
1 House Sparrow
2 Wrens

Not bad for a garden with no feeders (and alas no White's Thrush which appeared in this garden in October!)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back