• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

linnet or redpoll (1 Viewer)

spartacus mills

I've got lumps of it round the back

Whilst watching some chaffinches and bullfinches today I saw 4-6 birds that I tentativley id'ed as linnet. Having looked at the Collins I'm not sure if they may have been redpoll.
They had a small but distinctive red crown. Very noticeable streaks on the flanks and at least one of the birds had a pinkish breast (it was like a pale watercolour!). The wings were marked a little like a sparrows.
They were quite busy and agile.

So what do you reckon Santa brought me; linnets or redpoll?

Last edited:
spartacus mills said:
Whilst watching some chaffinches and bullfinches today I saw 4-6 birds that I tentativley id'ed as linnet. Having looked at the Collins I'm not sure if they may have been redpoll.
They had a small but distinctive red crown. Very noticeable streaks on the flanks and at least one of the birds had a pinkish breast (it was like a pale watercolour!). The wings were marked a little like a sparrows.
They were quite busy and agile.

So what do you reckon Santa brought me; linnets or redpoll?

I reckon Redpoll by the description

Many thanks - I was edging towards redpoll after checking my book. Nice birds to watch. I've not seen them around here before.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back