• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to copy BWP on CD-ROM to my hard disc (1 Viewer)

seawatcher

A few years ago I got a copy of BWP on CD-ROM. It is on 3 CDs. Depending on what I intend to look up then I am asked to insert either disc 1, 2 or 3. Anybody know an easy and idiot-proof way of transferring / copying the whole lot to my hard disc to save all the hassle of trying to find all 3 CDs each time I use BWP?

Thanks, SW

Create .iso's of the CD's to your hard drive and then mount the .iso on a virtual drive to view the contents. I do it frequently on my Linux computers and have done it many times in the past with Windows.

I used to use Roxio CD/DVD creator with Windows to create the .iso and mounted them with DaemonTools or the Virtual drive in Windows that was a "Power Toy" surely Windows now supports mounting an iso on a virtual drive by now. But if you are a Mac user you'll get info from one of them on how to.

phil

Last edited:
Late to this - off the top of my head, there used to be an 'easy' way to do this prior to install - post-install, it meant changing the preferences/options or a .*.ini type file to add the paths of the folders containing the data from each CD.

IIRC, make a new folder called BWP, inside that folder create 3 new sub-folders, CD1, CD2, CD3. Copy the contents of each CD to the relevant sub-folder, run the exe/installer from inside CD1 and when/if the install routine prompts for the location of CD2, point it to the CD2 sub-folder, etc.

For your already installed solution, simply create and populate the 3 sub-folders in the existing BWP folder and modify the Options/Preferences (or was it the ini file?) and you should be good to go.

When I find my BWP CD's or old drive, I'll check.

For anyone wishing to try this with recent Windows versions (I never did install it on my G3 'book so I've no idea of how it installs on OSX), you're likely to run into a autorun/install problem with the BWP installer (incompatible 16bit Macromedia Projector part of the installer, iirc), it can be bypassed in W7 but I don't recall the exact steps I used.

3rd party virtual drives, as suggested by Phil, are a decent workaround but may lead to 'random' bluescreen crashes further down the line.

I just (re)found the official method to install it to the hard drive:
1: Install the BWP to run without the CD in the drive

To install the whole of the BWP to your hard disk, copy the contents of Disk 1 to the hard disk in a folder, e.g. C:\BWPCD1. Run the installation from the hard disk. Then copy the contents of disk 2 and disk 3 to other folders on the hard disk, e.g. C:\BWPCD2, and C:\BWPCD3. Start the BWP program and go to the FILE | PREFERENCES... menu click on the CD PATHS tab. For each CD type in the path to the data, e.g. for disk 1 the path would be C:\BWPCD1\
http://www.oup.co.uk/academic/cdromsupport/compbwp/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back