• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lacie External Hard Drive HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

shezza

Not sure if this is the right section BUT I have just plugged my Lacie into the usb on my panasonic recorder (freeview) to view some pics but nothing happened. Now when I plug the Lacie into my computer it doesn't open up!!! HELP I have mountains of stuff on it.

If the computer doesn't recognise it at all it is often a sign that the problem is with the control electronics rather than the disk itself. It may be possible fo mount the disk in a new caddy and all the data will stil be there.

Indeed, it's rather early to call in data recovery people. When you connect the drive, can you hear it spin up (or are there lights that should come on/flash)? Try different leads, try different machines. There's another hard drive thread active on this forum right now which contains a lot of info that isn't specific to the make of the device that you could try. On a Mac there's a disk utility program that would give you more information about what's going on (ie, can it detect the drive at all) - not sure what the options are for Windows.

If none of these work, then indeed, the next step is to use a new enclosure. I had a hard drive failure in a laptop (just as I was backing up the entire drive), and putting the old drive into an enclosure allowed me to pull off a lot of stuff.

Andrea

Thanks for all your replies, I have tried it on another pc also tried different cable but still nothing, although I can hear the disc.

Go to the start button , right click on " computer " then select " manage " double click on " storage " then the same on " disk management " , does the external disk show up there , if so what does it say ?

Ashley

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back