• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Android or iphone for docking/car use etc. (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Similar to MSA (previous poster) I am about to upgrade my phone. To my knowledge.....(in previous years)......only iphones could work on docking stations. So.........
Is this still the case ?

I am also thinking of changing my car to a more modern one (say 2/3 years old) and most of them seem to have USBs etc for phones.so............
Does anyone know if these work with both iphones & androids ?

Thanks

It depends on the car! Most cars with USB ports only use them as a drive to access music files. You could get a USB stick, copy your music onto it, stick it in the car and play it. You can use this with a phone, if your phone mounts itself as drive when you plug it into your computer. Most Android phones do, but iPhones do not. Some cars do come with an iPhone connection but what the car does with it varies. Most will simply let you play audio that you control from the iPhone, flashier cars will let you control the iPhone from the car controls. Most cars now come with Bluetooth connections that can not only take phone calls but play music over. You will need to check car/phone compatibility as there are several versions of Bluetooth, and manufacturers don't necessarily stick to the standards.

It is a very mixed up field!

I have changed cars twice recently. Both cars (3 to 4 years old) have a 3.5mm jack socket for audio. I play stuff to the car via a lead from the device's headphone socket. This would work for anything with a headphone output.
I might try my bat detector hooked up lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back