• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting from scratch- Dryslwyn's first sketchbook. (1 Viewer)

Enjoyed the day but my field work still leaves a lot to be desired. I did lots of pencil drawings which were very useful but not really worth posting so here are a few sketches using my minature painting kit. I am not a scratch on our kindly experts on the forum but making a tiny improvement every time I get out. I don't know why it is that I can do a pretty good job in the 'studio' but go to pieces 'en plein air':'D Would like to work the coots and bullrushes up sometime.

Attachments

• coot2.jpg
    coot2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
  • coot3.jpg
    coot3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
  • coots.jpg
    coots.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 70
  • coots4.jpg
    coots4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
somelovely studies here, I particularly like the last one, they're just little blobs but immediately identifiable.

Thanks Nick- thats me done for the day. Bet you are just getting started;)

For once I think I'm going to have an early night, got a big birding trip planned for Tuesday, but I suppose I'd better get those swallows painted up. There's always tomorrow!

hmm ... difficult to say cos I think they are all great Wendy - love your ease with water colour - especially like the top left and agree, the last would make a lovely composition

I really have to disagree with you Wendy - I'm finding your fieldwork an absolute delight to look at - and to see the obvious and rapid improvement with each trip you make - remarkable. As Nick says - the last coots are spot on - no more required and when mixed in with your beautiful landscapes - they're EXACTLY the quality of well-observed birds that make the difference. Ace!

Thanks to everyone on the forum for your support. It is with regret that I am going to have to end this particular thread:-C - BUT :D-I am going to continue posting on the joint thread and will work up some of my recent sketches over the coming weeks and of course keep up with all the goings on.
The thing is as much as I would like to go out birding and paint birds every minute of every day and post regularly on the forum I am going to be very busy with the day job up to Xmas. I want this space to be fun and not to feel under pressure to do things. I hopefully will get my own thread again in the not too distant future
The May sketchathon was great fun- perhaps some imaginative person:brains: can come up with an idea for another virtual field trip that will involve everyone again soon. CheersB :)

Sorry to hear that Wendy - know how you feel though - I'm working nearly full time, studying for a Degree and have a part-time voluntary job, let alone not having enough physical energy to get out birding on the 4 or 5 days a month I do have off! Look forward to seeing your paintings on the joint thread.

Hope you do manage to find the time to give us an update now and again, and to get a bit of sketching done, but I know how hard it can be at times, my last year at Uni was spent mostly in a chip shop earning the rent or with my nose in books trying to get essays done. In the whole year I produced the same amount of work I can do in a productive fortnight, (strangely though, when I did get the timeto paint, there was so much enthusiasm that had built up, nearly everything I painted became one of my favourites!) I'll be back at work soon and so the pressure will be back on to balance all the things that need to get done. Just don't work too hard now! :)

Quite agree with you Wendy - fieldwork is hard work, as they say, and you certainly shouldn't feel pressurised ito posting work all the time - although it can become a little bit obsessive, I know. Just post what you want, when you want - it's your life and your work.
I'll miss the updates, but I can always look at the sparrow and moorhen to remind me of your brilliance til you do some more.
Good luck!

Wendy I know how you feel. Its hard trying to keep one of these threads
going but I hope to catch up with you every now and then on the
Joint Thread . Its Been a real pleasure meeting you ( Virtually anyway!)
Your work brings people alot of pleasure on here, as does everyone
elses drawings ,paintings and fieldwork.

Don't be a stranger , look in when you can:t:

That's a shame Wendy, I've been enjoying your delicate contributions a whole lot. Hope to see you back now and again.

Woody

Wendy it's been great watching your development these last few months, unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way (that's from someone who hasn't yet attempted a proper bird painting all year with one thing and another) but I remain inspired by the folk on the forum and hope you will too, I'm sure it won't be too long before we see your beautifully atmospheric work again. It's been a lovely thread, it'll always be here, just resurrect it when you feel the time is right.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back