• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Hi Frank,Your observation of the 8x30EII being significantly better optically than a Nikon Venturer 8x42 [this is the LX model right?] is not what I found using a very good friends Nikon 8x30 EII and Nikon 8x42 LX.The Nikon 8EII is very nice but not the equal of the Nikon 8x42LX that I tried,sample variations maybe?Glad you like the 8x30 Yosemite.
Regards,Steve

mooreorless said:
Hi Frank,Your observation of the 8x30EII being significantly better optically than a Nikon Venturer 8x42 [this is the LX model right?] is not what I found using a very good friends Nikon 8x30 EII and Nikon 8x42 LX.The Nikon 8EII is very nice but not the equal of the Nikon 8x42LX that I tried,sample variations maybe?Glad you like the 8x30 Yosemite.
Regards,Steve

It could be but then it could also be in reference to what I was calling "better". I know each has its strong points and that each person tends to prefer different aspects of image quality. The edge distortion was considerably worse on the EII and in that regard the LX was clearly superior. I thought color representation was more neutral in the EII, perceived sharpness seemed fairly equal with maybe a slight nod to the EII. The wide field of view coupled with the 3D effect and the more neutral color representation gave me a more noticeable effect than the LX's sharper edges. Like I said it could be just the specific characteristics I was looking for or, it could be, as you mentioned, sample variation.

Yosemite 8X30

[Frank,
I really appreciate your taking the time to post about your brief experience with these bins. I have been wanting to get something smaller and lighter like the Yosemite's, and these sound like they hit that sweet spot. Where I am in Texas, I often need the 8X so I looked around the net, but was unable to find any in stock so far. I don't know anyone in Dallas area that has rec'd any so I left a message with a large internet distributor- and they promised to call me when they receive their next stock.

I am definitly going to give them a try. I might even order the 6X30's as well, but I am undecided about those - and I honestly believe I need the 8X most of the time.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Last edited:
Hi Frank,I didn't get to use these side by side but was going by using resolution charts [USAF 1951 chart] and memory.I do agree that Nikon should of never quit making the 8x30EII and that it is a excellent binocular and one that I will get some day,I hope.
Regards,Steve

Steve,

And there you have it. If you were using resolution charts then the actual resolution might have been better on the LX while the EII might have just given the impression of a sharper image possibly because of the color representation. I hope Nikon someday reconsiders the EII design and updates it.

Lynn,

Glad I could help. I bought my 8x30 Yosemites at.....

http://www.shootersmart.com/site/index.php?do=display&pid=LP62525

The last I checked they still had one in natural color left.

Next up on the review block, the Vortex Razors. ;)

8 X 30 Yosemite

Frank,
I checked that site - sold out!
I left a call-back request at Eagle Optics, since I assumed they would be getting some soon. They called me today. They only got in like 2 pair in the Black, so I ordered one of them today. They were very nice to call me up like that, and hold one for me.

I'm having high hopes for these. I had ordered a Celestron Outland LX recently that were heavier, but pretty compact, only to receive them totally out of collimation. After reading some other hair-raising threads on this forum about those - I returned them for a refund.

The Yosemite sound more promising in just about every respect, but guess we will see soon. I especially like the sound of 18 ozs vrs about 28-30 ozs for many other porros of this general size.

Thanks again for your earlier postings,
Lynn

Hi Frank,I forgot to say thank you for all your binocular buying and letting us know what you think about them.Including the Vortex.Also your binocular selling.:) You sure make this forum interesting.:)
Steve

Steve,

Its my job. No thanks are required. :)

Seriously though I get a great deal of enjoyment out of trying out new binoculars. I make no attempt at hiding the fact that I am a hunter in addition to a birder. I was like this with archery equipment for about 10 years. I finally weened myself off of it. Binoculars are even more addicting. So many models, so many different avenues to explore and learn about. Very exciting.

Lynn,

I am glad I could help. Buying a $100 pair of porros and trying them out isn't a major issue. I make use of them even if they have a fault or two. When you start getting up and above the $1000 mark then things get a bit more serious. Even now my search continues to lead me to sub $1000 bins that perform at or near the level of the much more expensive ones. I am all about getting the most bang for the buck.

The question is, whats next? Those Pentax EDs look promising but they won't be out for awhile nor the mid-sized Meoptas. Maybe I will finally give one of those Minox HGs a go.

Binocular "churn"

Frank,
I understand how hobbies can be. For years one of my hobbies has been building and playing golf clubs. To me, the research, acquisition and fine-tuning of nice equipment was all part of my enjoyment of playing golf. I have built lots of drivers especially, looking for that "silver bullet".

Now I am a casual amateur astromomer and I lurk the forums like Cloudynights.com. Some of those guys buy just about any astro product released that looks remotely promising. Talk about expensive. :eek!:

I have been on a casual quest for some inexpensive, light weight binos for nature walks and birdwatching - so I have hopes the Yosemities will meet that requirement. The high-end stuff is out of my budget, and I don't require "perfect" performance. Just decent will be o.k. with me. Only light weight ones I have at present are some Pentax 8X21, and I wanted something just a little more robust, yet rugged.

Lynn

....fine-tuning of nice equipment
That is a nice way to put it. I should explain it that way to my wife. I thought we were just equipment junkies. That is the way they see us and some hunters at equipment shows. The camper who has four tents and goes camping once a year.

The camper who has four tents and goes camping once a year.

Hey, I resembl...uh, resent that remark. I go camping twice a year. ;)

Lynn,

I think those Yosemites will fit the bill quite nicely. I look forward to hearing from someone else that bought them at this point. I just have a feeling it was someone from here that picked up that second pair from the link I mentioned.

On a somewhat related note, I ordered a pair of the 10x42 Razors to compliment the 8x42s. If they are pleasing optically then the Meoptas will head for the auction block. ;)

Rec'd the 8X30

Just handled them a few minutes at twilight. First impressions are quite good.
I plan to take them on a walk in the park about mid-day today and check them out. Fit and finish of the product looked quite good to me, and casual views in poor light looked sharp and easy to focus.

They have a large focus wheel that feels pretty stiff, but should not be a problem. Should be pretty easy to use with gloves, as it is oversized for the relatively compact binoculars.

Later,
Lynn

Last edited:
I am glad to hear you are enjoying them Lynn. For $100 I would be hard pressed to be disappointed by their performance or design. I have continued to use them fairly regularly. They come in handy while I am walking the dog or just in general.

New Leupolds at the Park

I took the new 8X30 to the park today during lunch time. Weather in Dallas is amazing again today. High 60's F and mostly sunny. I took my Pentax 8X21 also to do some side by side comparison.

Frankly, the Leupolds are delightful. Very sharp, bright view that snaps to a sharp focus with just a little effort. I viewed a pure white vinyl clad fence and gazebo in bright sun and saw no CA that I could detect. Watched my 2 pair of Mallards again in bright sun and in shadow, and still saw no false color or fringing. Plummage of the male mallards was stunning in the sun and when they turned their head, the green head turned to a shade of blue when the light hit them just right.

I watched some large groups of pigeons at least 150 yards away and could easily see them individually very sharp, with colors of white, cream, gray and charcoal grey feathers.

My friends the brown squirrels were about and frisky as usual. I could easily see the fine grain of their fur and the glint of their eyes as clear as could ever be expected. I scanned the tops of some of the 70 ft trees and examined some of the intricate details of the branches and old bird nest etc.

These binos have nice lens protectors and a better than average neck strap that is at close to 1" wide. Comfortable to use. Case is padded vinyl and very serviceable. They are marked as having a 7.2* field of view, and that was noticeably wider than the game little Pentax which I believe is 6.2*

I am very pleased with these bins and they easily perform better than their very economical price would make one expect.

Regards,
Lynn

I wonder how much these will cut into the sales of Eagle Optics SRTs, Celestron Nobles, Minox BLs, and the like. Consider they appear to compete optically with binoculars up to the range of the Pentax SP they should do well. Being waterproof and compact helps.

Does anyone own an 8x30 and 8x32 roof in the under $500 range that they'd care to comment on the optics in compared to the Yosemite?

eetundra said:
I wonder how much these will cut into the sales of Eagle Optics SRTs, Celestron Nobles, Minox BLs, and the like. Consider they appear to compete optically with binoculars up to the range of the Pentax SP they should do well. Being waterproof and compact helps.

Does anyone own an 8x30 and 8x32 roof in the under $500 range that they'd care to comment on the optics in compared to the Yosemite?
They are not as "waterproof" as the internal focus models but it's really about advertising. The few that get returned are easily replaced.

eetundra said:

All 8x are in competition with each other in this price, even the Monarch 8x36. From what I have heard, the Yosemites may not be quite as rugged as the others. If you take them on a trip as your only binocular, that is the risk you take.

All 8x are in competition with each other in this price, even the Monarch 8x36. From what I have heard, the Yosemites may not be quite as rugged as the others. If you take them on a trip as your only binocular, that is the risk you take.

Tero,

Curious.... where exactly have you heard that the 8x30 Yosemites may not be all that rugged? Not trying to be adversarial here at all. Its just that I've done a LOT of on line reading while researching this model before deciding about any acquisition and I didn't see anything mentioned about possible fragility. There was some speculation about internal construction methods but.... Anyhow, I just acquired a pair and posted my thoughts in this forum under the "Thinking of upgrading to the Leupold Yosemite 8x32 (SIC)" thread.

--Bob
rear_tag_avitar.JPG

Last edited:
.... The Yosemite was simply one of my best, and last projects. It is something of which I shall always be proud. I hope those of you who use them enjoy them. (Criticisms, if there are any, are actually much better received than you might expect.)

Cheers,
John

Hello John, belated congratulations! I just got a batch of six 6x30s for our school today (shipped from the US), and I am very impressed. (I have written more about them in the 6x30 thread.) I am sure the students will love them too.

Greetings from Switzerland where Leupolds seem to be virtually unknown. Or are they marketed under some other name?

Tero,

Curious.... where exactly have you heard that the 8x30 Yosemites may not be all that rugged? Not trying to be adversarial here at all.

I think it was Otto McDiesel, he bought a half dozen pairs for kids. One pair had some issues.

I had a chance to compare some binoculars. I had Bushnell Legend 8x32 with me. It was sharper with wider sweet spot than the Yosemite 8x30. I also compared to Nikon Action 8x40, not EX. It was not as bright as the Yosemite but similar.

The 8x30 Yosemite reminds me most of the Eagle Optics 8x32 SRT that I still have. Sharp is the middle, sweet spot not huge, but not truly awful past the sweet spot. Both equally bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back