• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hovering Falcons ? (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
Here's a good trivia question...stems from a debate I was just having. How many world falcons regularly hover in order to catch prey.
Even better who can name them? Don't ask me for the answer, I'm still stuck on this one. 15 was the highest figure quoted so far.

JP

Hi JP,

From Lynx HBW:

1 Lesser Kestrel
2 Common Kestrel
3 Madagascar Kestrel
4 Mauritius Kestrel
5 Spotted Kestrel
6 Australian Kestrel
7 American Kestrel
8 Greater Kestrel
9 Fox Kestrel
10 Dickinson's Kestrel
(but not Seychelles Kestrel, and Grey & Banded Kestrels only rarely)
11 Red-footed Falcon
12 Amur Falcon
13 Eleonora's
14 Aplomado

4-5 others noted as hovering occasionally or rarely, inc Lanner & Saker

Michael

I have seen a brown falcon do a bit of hovering here (Sydney region) but usually only when there is a bit of a breeze blowing. Of course the Black-Shouldered Kite hovers like Kestrels .

So including Black Shouldered Kite that is 15. The friend who calculated 15 did it within two minutes............think I owe a beer.
Thanks Michael.......couldn't work out what "Lynx HBW" was that you used ??

I forgot BS Kite too, should have known that one I've seen them often enough in Portugal!

JP

mike coleman said:
Just a thought, but since when has a Black-shouldered Kite been a falcon? ;)

Oh yes :h?: ........well spotted, 14 then. Well it sort of looks like one anyway at least..........from a distance...........in the heat haze.............when it hovers..........and you can't see its tail.......it could well be a falcon, or maybe not......this bird can't even make up it's mind about it's English name. "Black-Winged"......where's it's Black wings then........calls itself an elanus......whats all that about..no wonder I'm confused. I just renamed it.....Black Wing-tipped Falconish Kite.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael.......couldn't work out what "Lynx HBW" was that you used ??
Handbook of the Birds of the World published by Lynx - if you can afford it then it it is THE book to own.

I wish I 'd kept up my subscription which I let lapse after 2 volumes - I just couldn't justify the cost - but what a book!!

mike coleman said:
Just a thought, but since when has a Black-shouldered Kite been a falcon? ;)

This side of the big drink the black sholdered kite is now called the white tailed kite. It's of the order Falconformes. Does that make it a falcon? Another of the order is the osprey that also hovers like mad.

Craig

Well, Common Buzzards can also hover come to that, but, no: I think we're meant to be discussing falconidae, not falconiformes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back