• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD+ owners thoughts. (1 Viewer)

Is anyone able to comment on the nature of the field curvature and size of sweet spot between the 7x and 8x Ultravid HD + models? I would anticipate that the 7x has a slightly smaller sweet spot and more curvature but I have no real clue....

Never mind....missed it on page 1

Last edited:
What is the close focus distance of the Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42?

The response will be more valuable if you have actually measured this, rather than if it is only an impression, also, if your vision was normal at the time, that is, either, it needs no correction, or if it does it was corrected by glasses or contact lenses.

For some time I have been thinking of this fine binocular, but have been put off by the close focus figure given by Leica themselves of 3.3 m, that is, 10.8 feet (which is really not quite close enough for me).

Also, has it ever been a problem to you personally in actual use, in trying to look at a bird or a butterfly, etc., and finding that you wished it focused closer?

Gilmore Girl, Torview, CloseFocus, John Frink, hgalbraith and coolhand68 have already very kindly replied to this query conveyed by PM at one time or another.

In their replies, several have said or implied that closest focus as measured or estimated is about 2.8 m, 9.2 feet, (which will do for me) or a little bit less, others seem to estimate it at 10 feet, that is 3.0 m, or more.

Is it possible that in some individual instruments it is as much as that, or even the 3.3 m, 10.8 feet, that Leica states? I might not be able to try out the instrument before I get it.

I added in my PMs that from previous experience I would prefer not to post on the open forum. After my return I have been using PMs to help out and, like this, receive help from other members. One contacted yesterday on the present matter responded that using PM for this is "counter to the whole ethos of the community" (so indeed refused to reply to my query, and said that he is "blocking" me). I see his point, hence this post.

Thank you!

Hi Adhoc,

Nice to see you posting, I felt I should try again on this subject, so I`v measured it very carefully, and its actually 3.08m for me today, well within spec.

I certainly have`nt found it a problem, I`v never been in a situation where I could`nt take a step back, and a butterfly or flower is still nicely detailed at 7x from 3 and a bit metres.

It certainly would`nt put me off buying this wonderful binocular.

In fact I have`nt used my EII since getting a 7x42, and rarely use my Meostar B1, except those times or locations where I may not wish to have the Leica with me.

John.

3.2m is about it for me. The close focusing distance has never been an issue for me, but trying to look at Lepidoptera has not been a going concern for me. The UVHD+ 7x42 has been my 'if I could only have one' binocular.

p.s. - the PM blocking was tongue in cheek. I wouldn't know how to do that if I actually wanted to.

Pics: UVHD+ 8x42 and 7x42; UVHD+ 10x50 and 8x42; UVHD+ 7x42 and 8x42; UVHD+ 7x42; Zeiss Mariners; UVHD+ 8x42

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 159
  • FullSizeRender 4 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4 copy.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Just did a measurement I get just under 11 feet with mine. FWIW, my Nikon EDG II 7x42 got down to approx. 9 feet. However, I prefer the size and overall view of the Leica.

What is the close focus distance of the Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42? Thank you!

Here are some 7x42 near-focus distances, with my -2.25 diopter eyeglasses -

Zeiss Victory TFL 7x42 = 1.6m
Nikon EDG II 7x42 = 2.0m
Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42 = 3.0m
Swarovski SLC 7x42 = 4.0m
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42BGAT = 4.5m

John Frink, post 147,
I came to the following close focus distances, measured with a calibrated electronic ruler:
Swarovski SLC 7x42B (2004): 3,9 m
Leica Ultravid HD-plus 7x42 (2015): 3,3 m
Zeiss Victory FL 7x42: 2 m
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42B/GA T*: 3,8 m
Meopta MeostarB1 7x42: 2,6 m

Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back