• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

WOW!! That is great! Conveying water is difficult and those waves look so real! And the composition is exciting.

Elina

This one's a real stonker. I love the rolling action of the wave and the bouyant little bird masterfully riding the air. Excellent work.

Mike

Just got back from a week in Spain. So here's the low down and dirty from my sketch book. Also got some nice habitat photos of agaves, olive trees, prickly pears etc as the basis for some paintings in the pipe line.

Attachments

• Web SNV30328.jpg
    Web SNV30328.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 38
  • Web SNV30329.jpg
    Web SNV30329.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Web SNV30330.jpg
    Web SNV30330.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32
and the rest....

Attachments

• Web SNV30332.jpg
    Web SNV30332.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Web SNV30327.jpg
    Web SNV30327.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Web SNV30331.jpg
    Web SNV30331.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 45
You don't need me to tell you that the bee-eaters are spot on and the landscapes conjour up the feeling of dry and hot places - excellent.

yes, the bee eaters are going to be great in a painting. Plus the poses of the cetti's are full of character, sharp jerky lines showing a staccato bird (hear the beer talking, big words!) Great sketching.

Already??? It's an hour later here! (perfect excuse). Went to get a selection of fancy beers for a mate's birthday present and ended up spending nearly as much on myself.

cheers!

Joining you all in a Rucklestones old dirridgable or somesuch...

Love the bee-eaters, I'd love the opportunity to see them for real. Looks like you had a great time so now's the best time to transfer the good times to paper or canvas. Go paint bee-eaters!

Mike

This is what I've worked up from my Bee Eater sketches and some habitat photos I took on my Spain trip earlier this month.

It's in the Alpujarras in the south of Spain. The Bee Eaters were hunting in front of heavy rain clouds which must have been concentrating the insects. There were something like 100 or so Bee Eaters, which is fairly typical just prior to migration. I was sheltering from the storms under chestnut trees which make great umbrellas.

A few minor tweaks still to do, but nearly finished.

Attachments

• Web_SNV30334_2.JPG
    Web_SNV30334_2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 76
This is great Des - love the very subtle shadow from the tree which really helps the feeling of bright sunshine. Birds are super too. Very nice indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back