• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheater (1 Viewer)

I'll get there eventually. I'm trying these id issues without referring to a field guide at the moment, as a sort of 'field' test to see how i would have got on. Not very well by the looks of it...

Why is this not a Greenland though?

Why is this not a Greenland though?

Perhaps the default question should be 'why is it not a Northern'!? As phil says, F/1cyM Northern, and can't see anything to suggest otherwise.

August is a little early for Greenland leucorhoa imo - they don't leave their breeding grounds until August and seen on passage here Sept/Oct.

I've never personally been able to separate them with any confidence - Northern Wheatear can look very 'orange', size can overlap and posture is always a dodgy one imo!

Isabelline Wheatear For me

An Isabelline Wheatear would be a major rarity in the UK. Note the blackish centres of the lesser upperwing coverts, the dark ear coverts and the buffish tone to the frontal part of the supercilium, which rule out Isabelline Wheatear.

For anyone interested in the identification of Greenland Wheatear, there's a fine ID feature in April's edition of Birdwatch magazine. It also contains migration details and some nice photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back