• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria or Scotland (1 Viewer)

uncle bulgaria

Hello everyone. I'm a new member to this site and I am currently transferring my time from the south west of Scotland to the South east of Bulgaria. I am setting up a holiday company for wildlife in general and Birding in particular. I cannot believe how acessible the wildlife is here in Bulgaria. I love my homeland but here in Bulgaria just takes the breath away. I am really looking forward to September and the migration of all sorts. Last Sunday I had 200 white stork, a male hobby then later a female hobby being pursued by squadrons of red rumped and barn swallows, house martins and a solitary swift. Two or three times in the day. I had a black kite, two unidentified eagles, golden oriole, bee eater, cirl bunting, one black stork and red backed shrikes. Then I thought I'd better get off the sunlounger and go bird watching. I'm in heaven. I hope to hear from lots of you and I hope to post some fantastic trip reports. Glad to be hear, I have read some great reviews of this site and the organisers are to be congratulated. Yours John Cree

Hi John,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

Sounds like a great location there. Look forward to reading more.

Wellcome in Heaven,Uncle Bulgaria! Happy birding in South East Europe. We are now neighbours, i live only 10 km away from border with Bulgaria. look at Vama Veche on map. Be ready for lesser spotted buzzards, they transit Bulgaria in September in hundreds.

callatis said:
Be ready for lesser spotted buzzards, they transit Bulgaria in September in hundreds.

Should read lesser spotted eagles, or even better Lesser Spotted Eagles.

Steve

hobby's

Good point Steve, I had the light on my side both times and both birds were less than 50 feet away affording me the best possible view. Size, colouration and facial markings were completely unhindered and given the variations in colouration and markings, my limited identification skills and hey presto that's what I came up with. Having no one to collaborate with at the time and you (quite correctly) asking the question I suppose the second one could have been a juvenile?? Hee Hee. Thanks for talking. John :h?:

I'll be here too ;) once I've figured it out I'll send you a pm with my number on it and maybe we will bump into each other. I do know you will enjoy yourself. Cheers for now

Gerard Gorman's Where to Watch Birds in Eastern Europe is an excellent source of where to go. I was in Varna in May, and had an excellent time. And wine's excellent and cheap, too, for celebrating your new species!!
David

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back