• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yosemite BX-1 8x30 (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I just got a pair of these. After some use i may do a review.

A couple of initial impressions.

The eye cups on my pair tend to not stay down (i wear eye glasses when using binos). But the cups do raise in stages, and moderate pressure is necessary to get it down. There seems to be a "predisposition" for the cup to be at the one step up position.

It is a little too easy for my tastes, to move the barrel separation (IPD).

I would not characterize the focus as "smooth". But so far, it is consistent in feel through the range, with bumps or snags.

So far, and superficially, I am somewhat impressed by the view for $79 USD.

I just got a pair of these. After some use i may do a review.

A couple of initial impressions.

The eye cups on my pair tend to not stay down (i wear eye glasses when using binos). But the cups do raise in stages, and moderate pressure is necessary to get it down. There seems to be a "predisposition" for the cup to be at the one step up position.

It is a little too easy for my tastes, to move the barrel separation (IPD).

I would not characterize the focus as "smooth". But so far, it is consistent in feel through the range, with bumps or snags.

So far, and superficially, I am somewhat impressed by the view for $79 USD.

Jay,

Have you owned/tried the original Yosemite Sam? I don't use eyeglasses with bins, so I don't know if the Sam's had the same "predisposed" eyecups.

If you have tried the originals, are there any significant differences optically btwn the new and the old models, or are the differences mostly cosmetic (Aztec motif)?

Brock

I have had the original 6x30 in pink camo for almost a year, and mine are still solid as a rock. These are one of my primary downstairs house/feeder bins, and after a year of use I figured they would loosen up, but so far haven't. My eyecups have a very good stiffness/tension which allows them to stay in an intermediate position even putting the rainguard on and off, and they have very positive click stops at the top and bottom positions, and stay locked with no wiggle. Hinge tension is a little on the stiff side as well, and they stay where put. Very seldom do I have to make adjustments and generally just take the rainguard off and flip the tethered caps down, and I'm good to go. Focus wheel tension is much stiffer than I personally like, but it is smooth thru the range with no uneveness or hitches. There is no serial number on these outstanding little budget binos.

Tom

This morning had a chance to take these for a walk. Turned out to be a convention of local wood pecker species going on which was fun.
Anyway, these are good. While i cannot yet comment on durability matters, given not having them very long, I feel i can briefly comment on the optics and a few other things.

First and foremost, I received my first binoculars when i was 5 years old. I Wish I had gotten these. These tiny things would make a really good kid's glass, that gives enough resolution and contrast to actually be useful. Also, the "klingon" pattern in the armor might help small hands use them.
My hands are medium. They are so small that I can totally cradle them with both hands comfortably. For me a very stable view.
Now, I would assume that at this price point, quality variation must be in play, and i am assuming i got a very good sample.

Light path is clean, and OK on reflections. The edge of a prism does intrude into the light path just a tad in one tube, but did not have an apparent effect on my view.

Optically, they have very good contrast, and good resolution. I am guessing they may have very good resolution for their price point.
Eye placement is very forgiving for me, though with my glasses, I loose about 1/2 of a degree of the 7.5 degree field. The "sweet spot" is good, considering again, the price. Surprising actually.
The alignment seems very good on my sample. It has that eye-comfort-feel- when starring-for-longer-than-a-glance, that i treasure.
We are having a warm fall here again, and cannot really comment on temperature and focus movement.
I would recommend, a good sample of this model:
1. For a child that exhibits above average interest in the natural world. The 6x30 version may be a better match for the young child.
2. Just for fun
3. An inexpensive back-up pair for daytime use by a nature observer, and perhaps a birder.
4. Even for a budget pair for an adult with small to medium hands taking an intro ornithology class.

Last edited:
BTW:
In my post of 11/29, I wrote "with bumps and snags". That should have been, "without bumps and snags". Oooops!8-P

This winter being warm again so far, has not allowed me to test the focusing in the cold aspect while using them. So last night i gave them the 4 hours in the freezer test.
Yep. After that cold exposure, the focus wheel would practically speaking, not rotate at all.

Late 2013 BX-1 / 8x30 update:

I turned away from Yosemite's a few years ago. The resolution was great and the
contrast was super, the color was very true....but the "squint" was bad.
That is, they were extremely sensitive to eye position. The ones I tested at REI today
were a lot more tolerant of eye placement, and the cup-down eyeglass performance
was incredible....the entire field, with old big glasses. I love the color fidelity and
contrast.

So....I bought a pair...again. They must have tweeked the eyepiece or something.
A happy 2013 reunion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back