• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alan Dalton-Birdart from the Basement (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

A new thread to mark my finding a new studio to paint and develop my fieldwork in, it has taken some time to find a suitable space at a reasonable price..
The studio is a small space in a basement apartment at Hägerstensåsen in souther Stockholm, which is five stops on the tube for me, about 17 minutes door to door, so very convenient indeed. The apartment consists of two large rooms, a small kitchenette and a small toilet area. The two rooms are occupied by eight artists, a corner each, basically. There is, in fact, ample room to work within. There was a basic desk and small chair present already, I will endevour to find a drafting table, some shelving, a rack of some sort for canvases and drawers for sketches, paints, art supplies etc. This will take time, for the moment I will make do with what is there...
Having spent the last few days dragging over supplies, easels etc. in my free time, today was my first full day free and I decided to spend it painting. Not an easy decision with the chance of Hawk Owl near the airport in Stockholm!
The day went well and I spent the first hour priming a few canvases with gesso, whilst they dried I decided to do a quick painting on a small panel I had already prepared at home. I didn't give this a great deal of thought, a few quick thumbnails and off I went, nothing too technical and I kept it loose and added paint quickly. The gesso on the panel was soon dry and I began on a largish canvas of a subject I have wanted to paint for some time, Great Grey Owl. I saw a few earlier in the year and they made a big impression on me. Here's the work from today, very nice to be painting in this manner again. There's something off with the owl, I think it's the position of the eye on the left, which will need a tweak...
Being able to simply clean my brushes and walk out the door was a real pleasure, leaving everything set up and waiting for my next session. Another huge plus at the studio is the lack of distractions, no TV, no internet, phone or nagging choirs. Very nice to be surrounded by other artists too, there are four painters, a textile weaver, a printer and a sculptor.
My immediate aim is just to paint what I want, with no distractions. Hopefully the winter will result in a good body of work, which will hopefully lead to a show. I have so much field material to work with from the past few years that there will be no shortage of ideas for paintings...

Goosanders; Acrylic on Masonite Panel (40cmx30cm)

Great Grey Owl; Acrylic on Canvas (Work in Progress)

Attachments

• Hägersten.jpg
    Hägersten.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Woods around Studio.jpg
    Woods around Studio.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Studio space.jpg
    Studio space.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Goosanders acyrlic.jpg
    Goosanders acyrlic.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 183
  • GGO process 1.jpg
    GGO process 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Wish you the best with your new studio Alan!
These Goosanders looking fantastic and GG Owl very promising too..
My best wishes to your new thread too!

Paschalis

Your excitment is zinging through the intro here!! Wonderful to see the new studio + what you are working with + on, really interests me as I'm trying to set things up here, blushes!!
The owl is looking great, really good to see how your workingon this piece.
The mergansers are lovely, one of my favs, esp to watch, such characters - as you show.

Oh yes - this is quite clearly the way forward for you. And if these first imaes are to be the founds for what's to come, then you (and we) can look forward to some very exciting times to come.

Oh yes - this is quite clearly the way forward for you. And if these first imaes are to be the founds for what's to come, then you (and we) can look forward to some very exciting times to come.

I must have misunderstood your previous postings- thought you were going offline for months, maybe even years to paint..but here you are already. Great looking atmospheric Scandinavian artists kommune!

I must have misunderstood your previous postings- thought you were going offline for months, maybe even years to paint..but here you are already. Great looking atmospheric Scandinavian artists kommune!

Not quite Ed, though will have to discipline myself not to go charging out birding on every day off and get to the studio instead. Easier said than done at times, though the winter should see a few hundred hours painting time easily enough. There is a Hawk Owl invsion here at the minute and I will have to allow myself to catch uo with a beast or two of that species, for artistic purposes you understand...
Spring will be more of a challenge, though I hope to start painting in the field in earnest in 2013 and use the studio to build on this work too. The lack of distractions at the studio is a major plus, all there is there are the basics and the work in front of you, should of done this some time ago..

I like Ed didnt expect such a quick thread change, The Owl looks a stunner in the making and I love the water the Goosanders are on. Thankfully you have given away secrets to excellent art. I have had no such luck producing anything worthy of this forum and now I Know why. Ive been using the wrong blady hand :-O

I like Ed didnt expect such a quick thread change, The Owl looks a stunner in the making and I love the water the Goosanders are on. Thankfully you have given away secrets to excellent art. I have had no such luck producing anything worthy of this forum and now I Know why. Ive been using the wrong blady hand :-O

Yes the change has been a bit more quick than expected. But that's probably the best way to switch threads and more importantly the best way to change direction with your work.

It looks like you've made the right decision. It reminds me of the various times I've had a separate studio somewhere, free from all the distractions. Every once in awhle I'd miss the distractions or have a hard time dragging myself, especially in winter, over to my studio, but most of the time I just got a lot more work done.

I look forward to seeing your new work. As you've said you have a wealth of material to work from.

Looking forward to the lorry loads of delights from this new thread Alan. If the goosanders and gg are anything to go by we can expect great things indeed!

Mike

I prefer the Great Grey Matt ;)

Great to've found a studio like this Al......prob could do with something like that myself to get out of this bloody unable-to-be-bothered-to-paint phase I'm currently stuck in: ideas nil, motivation nil. Working around others does get the creative juices flowing again....

Last edited:
Great Grey Owl; Acrylic on Canvas(80cmx60cm)

Apart from a few minuscule tweaks, perhaps, all done..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 116
The next canvas, a Great Grey Shrike, from a recent fieldsketch. Autumnal scene on a windy day...

Progress so far...will be careful not to overwork this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 100
Well, winter rrived overnight here and I awoke to a white wonderland. Very cold right now, minus seven or so....
A few hours at the studio to finish this piece, think I should stop here, nothing to be gained by to much detail. Happy with this one...

Great Grey Shrike; Acrylic on Canves (80x60cm)

Apologies for the coour rendition, all shot with iPhone under artificial light. In reality a good deal deeper in hue...

Attachments

• winters here.jpg
    winters here.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 92
  • ggs detail.jpg
    ggs detail.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 90
  • ggs 1.jpg
    ggs 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back