• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butcher Bird (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

Taking a personal census with a couple quick questions.

How many of you have actually seen a Shrike impale it's prey on a thorn or on anything else? Or have you ever ran across the aftermath; the Shrike's skewered kill without the bird being anywhere in sight?

I've seen neither and I gotta confess, to run across this little bit of the macabre has been a longing of mine since the first lifer tick.

Am I unlucky or is this a truly rare occurrence?

I’ve watched a Loggerhead Shrike impale a grasshopper once. I’ve seen them near the impaled lizards and grasshoppers in SE Arizona a number of times. And have seen the lizards and grasshoppers on the barbed wire fence a lot without the bird being nearby. They have a great nickname!

Nice find....!!

Although it's only been a day since the OP, I'm thinking running across either of these observation are on the rare side. Googling photos brings up about 50 with impaled kills, maybe half of which shows the bird. A number of which are doubles and the photos run out after two page loads. There's youtube vids but not many.

SE Arizona is lovely place, you're so fortunate to call it home.

Am I unlucky or is this a truly rare occurrence?

I think you'll find that this occurs mainly in the courtship and breeding season. Apparently, its the male shrikes that impale prey on thorns etc. to show off their hunting prowess to convince females that they are a good bet. Bit like a guy flashing his credit card to womern...or not!

I don't think they do it to store food for a rainy day.....

I think you'll find that this occurs mainly in the courtship and breeding season.

I didn't know that.....didn't think it was anything more than everyday hunting behavior.

I'm likin' this bird more than ever..!! I'm gonna have to spend a few hours next spring just watchin' this bird.

All the same, I don't think there's a whole lot of people who's seen this first hand. I could be wrong......??

Thanks for schoolin' me, I appreciate ya.

Sightings of Shrike's in my area are rare. I haven't seen one in several years. But no, I have never seen an impaled prey, but I have read about it all my life.

A Great Grey Shrike caught a Coal Tit and impaled it in the Forest of Dean on 31st Oct.

Nice! Did anyone notice the Coal Tit was ringed? Maybe they could find it on the bush still?

I had read somewhere (anyone?) that contrary to what is often thought, shrikes do this more in the breeding season. I've seen Iberian Grey especially (and Woodchat less) hang various items along barbed wire in breeding season. In this case, maybe the Coal Tit was hung for easier eating?

When Red-backed Shrikes were breeding regularly in the UK through the '50's, the prey items caught and impaled ''together'' would be referred to as the ''Shrike's Larder''...so I have read in tomes of old!

Cheers

Oddly enough the only shrike larder I've found was about 30 years ago and that of Isabelline Shrike, a rarity in the UK, at Stodmarsh, Kent. Impaled on a thorn was a Harvest Mouse, my first record of the species. Some years later when searching for a Penduline Tit at the same site (and about 100m from the bush that hosted the larder), I spotted a live Harvest Mouse on a bullrush - still my only record of that elusive species.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back