• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leupold Cascade Porro Prism Binoculars (1 Viewer)

mooreorless said:
Frank,Thanks for the information,I am going to have to go to Cabela's.I did try a Swarovski EL 8.5x42 at Grice's Gun Shop a few years ago,slow focus model of course and liked it and I really liked the slow focus of it.There is an Amish shoe shop that is close to Port Royal that sells binoculars and high end models to,never been there.
Steve

Lost Creek Shoe Store. If you are interested in trying out a lot of different binoculars before purchase- The place is very good. The place is "unique".

Mike

I have spent more hours in that department than anywhere else in the store. :)
Store staff: Oh oh, here he comes for his weekly visit. Bob can take him while we go on a coffee break. Then one of us will cover the rest of the hour with him...

The 10x Cascades are useable for birding as well, as the close focus is 11 ft, not 20 ft as in a typical 10x porro.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold...ernal-focus-porro-prism-binoculars-60643.html
OR try http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-binoculars.html
look for 10x Cascade porro.

The closest competition is 14ft, Audubon
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=3825

Even the Premier is 16ft
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=793

Last edited:
Store staff: Oh oh, here he comes for his weekly visit. Bob can take him while we go on a coffee break. Then one of us will cover the rest of the hour with him...

:) I bet you are right. My favorite salesperson even transferred to another department! ;)

The 10x Cascades are useable for birding as well, as the close focus is 11 ft, not 20 ft as in a typical 10x porro.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold...lars-60643.html

The closest competition is 14ft, Audubon
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.as...urch=1&pid=3825

Even the Premier is 16ft
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.as...purch=1&pid=793

I am not questioning their usefulness for birding. The close focus distance is more than adequate for my personal tastes if I had not run into the problem with the interpupillary distance adjustment. Close focus seems to be a popular characteristic to advertise about with many binoculars I would assume because of the folks that enjoy butterfly watching as well. The closest I typically get to birds is about 15-20 yards and at that distance any binocular's close focus measurement is more than enough.

michaelboustead said:
Lost Creek Shoe Store. If you are interested in trying out a lot of different binoculars before purchase- The place is very good. The place is "unique".

Mike

Hi Mike,Lost Creek Shoe Store,is that the one that is run by Amish?Also is it half way close to Port Royal?I have been wanting to go to this Shoe Shop but never made it.I have heard they have a viewing portal of some sorts to look outside.I live in Huntingdon area.
Regards,Steve

I have heard of this shoe store as well. There was a nice little article about it in one of the outdoor magazines I subscribe to. In addition, the folks that run the store post on the PA Birds Listserve. I believe the gentleman's name is Aden Troyer. I think there was a Harris Sparrow visiting one of their feeders this past winter.

http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/PENN.html

mooreorless said:
...is that the one that is run by Amish?

Please forgive my ignorance here but, don't the Amish shun all things "high-tech" (meaning basically anything developed after the mid 18th century including electricity, cars, metal nails,etc. ?) What in the world would they be doing selling binoculars?

That seems so odd. Oh well, I guess that goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything (read - anything) you see on T.V. or in the movies.

Amish Lost Creek Shoe Shop Update

Aden Troyer does run the Lost Creek Shoe Shop and they have some of the best optic selection around. They have a viewing platform behind the shop for bins and scopes.

They are Amish and there is alot of confusion about them, I was part of that as well until I became good friends with the Troyers and go birding with them as much as I can.

They aren't afraid of high tech stuff, they just like to be as self sufficent as they can. I used to think it was a matter of good vs. evil.

They go hunting, have scopes on the guns, etc.

They all own top of the line scopes and bins, usually swarovskis. The oldest son even has a double spotting scope setup on a tripod with top of the line swarovskis.

I have bought 2 pairs of bins and 2 spotting scopes from them. They even do trade-ins and sell used stuff as well. A real rarity.

Oakland Mills is 1/2 between Harrisburg and State College off route 22/322, you then take route 35 north into the village of Oakland Mills, tl on oakland road and it is about 1/2 mile on the right. He has signs.

They don't have electric, but he does have a answering service for people to leave messages on. they are open 6 days a week.

None of them could post on PA birds, but for those who have seen posts about them is probably from me or some friends of ours. They have had some great birds there, like the Harris' Sparrow from 11/05 to 5/06.

Hope that helps.

chadkauffy said:
if you look at any good optic website and look at the locate dealer page, the shoe shop is usually on there with info.
Hello,Thanks for the information about the shoe shop.If I would be coming from Huntingdon,State College I would get off at the Cuba Mills exit where McDonald's and gas station etc. are.It looks like Oakland Mills is only 6 or 7 miles from there is that about right?I know this is a silly question ,but do they take credit cards?:) I don't think I have ever been to an Amish Shop that did this.But then those shops didn't sell Swarovski binoculars.:)Thanks for any information.I have been wanting to go to this shop for a long time.Regards,Steve

Chad,

Nice to see you posting here. I take it you did a little exploring after taking a peek at that Doube Crested Cormorant pic I posted on PA Birds? Thank you for the help with that by the way.

you are welcome. If you are coming from that direction, you do take the Mifflintown/McAlisterville Exit, which is route 35. When you come off the ramp, you will take a left, which is North. That is also known as the exit for Sheetz and McDonalds. I live right across the road there, btw.

It will be the 5th black top road to your left, right in the village of Oakland Mills, you will see a big sign with a boot on it, advertising the shoeshop, you then take the next left.

Yes, they do take all credit cards, cash, checks, etc. They run you up manually, then call in the info later. I have used my mac card, visa and discover card there many times.

mooreorless said:
Hello,Thanks for the information about the shoe shop.If I would be coming from Huntingdon,State College I would get off at the Cuba Mills exit where McDonald's and gas station etc. are.It looks like Oakland Mills is only 6 or 7 miles from there is that about right?I know this is a silly question ,but do they take credit cards?:) I don't think I have ever been to an Amish Shop that did this.But then those shops didn't sell Swarovski binoculars.:)Thanks for any information.I have been wanting to go to this shop for a long time.Regards,Steve

chadkauffy said:
you are welcome. If you are coming from that direction, you do take the Mifflintown/McAlisterville Exit, which is route 35. When you come off the ramp, you will take a left, which is North. That is also known as the exit for Sheetz and McDonalds. I live right across the road there, btw.

It will be the 5th black top road to your left, right in the village of Oakland Mills, you will see a big sign with a boot on it, advertising the shoeshop, you then take the next left.

Yes, they do take all credit cards, cash, checks, etc. They run you up manually, then call in the info later. I have used my mac card, visa and discover card there many times.

Hello Chad,Thanks so much for this information.When we go to see all our in-laws in Harrisburg area we almost always stop in at this exit to get gas etc.,busy place,people are friendly.I have been wanting to go to this shoe shop for a long time for binoculars and steel toe work boots.:) You say you live right across the road from Sheetz and McDonalds?If I make the trip down I will let them know that you helped me out.I was out this evening after 01:30 observing the stars,that is why this post is so late or early.:) That is really nice to know that they take credit cards,this is one reason I never made the trip down,so what you have told me is a major help.Thanks.
Steve

Sure, you can tell them I sent you, and if you talk about birds, you will see that gets them a break from the normal work day. heh.

my girlfriend and her girls always laugh about how get excited they get telling me about something they saw or how we all get into a discussion about some little feathered friend.

I do live and work right across the road from Sheetz, you will see my red sign. The subway building is right in front of my house. Feel free to stop in an say hell if you wish. I might even ride along to adens with you, if I can get out of the office.

chadkauffy said:
Sure, you can tell them I sent you, and if you talk about birds, you will see that gets them a break from the normal work day. heh.

my girlfriend and her girls always laugh about how get excited they get telling me about something they saw or how we all get into a discussion about some little feathered friend.

I do live and work right across the road from Sheetz, you will see my red sign. The subway building is right in front of my house. Feel free to stop in an say hell if you wish. I might even ride along to adens with you, if I can get out of the office.

Hi Chad,I will for sure tell them you sent me,in fact I will PM you here when we can go.It won't be for a while.This summer is flying by.I know where the Subway building is.Thanks so much.:)
Regards,Steve

This is over a year coming, but I finally made it to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop. I would say that everybody here would be very impressed with this place. I never saw so many high end binoculars in my life. They have skylights that really light up the place, in fact I really didn't notice that there wasn't any electric lights until after I left and was looking at the building. I bring this up because they are Amish and really nice folks. You people are missing something by not going to this place. I will try to post some pictures later, but I am really tired now.
I stopped to say hello and meet Chad, and he is a very nice fellow.:)
Regards,Steve

hello again, Steve. I don't know if I have been at this forum for almost a year myself. I am glad you were able to visit the Troyers at the shoe shop and they do have a great setup. They actually just expanded the backroom where they optics are and even picked up a new line that the Stokes peddle, the Vortex line.

I know Steve didn't purchase any glass, but he did get some footwear and that can be a good thing as well. heh.

Hi Chad, It is not that I didn't want to purchase any glass, I don't think my wife would of been happy if I came home with binoculars instead of boots.:) If you want to purchase excellent optics this is THE place to go in Central Pa. I didn't get to try out the Vortex optics, they had a USAF resolution chart outside that had Vortex writing on it. I tried to get one of these charts , but they didn't have any. They even had a pair of Kowa angled 82mm Prominar ED binoculars. I have pictures of binoculars and spotting scopes that they have, there is a whole 5ft.or 6ft. case with five shelves filled with binoculars as well as other places.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back