• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few Trinidad IDs. (1 Viewer)

Drevni

I have a few last IDs from Trinidad that I need some help IDing, and all help is greatly appreciated as always! These were all taken near the Pax Guesthouse.

1. I've darkened the image a bit so that the details could show a little better. It clearly has 5 fingers, and nothing seems to match that in my book, so I was stumped here.

DSC05550-Hawk.jpg

DSC05885.jpg

DSC05774.jpg

4. Although this looks a bit like a White-lined Tanager, I do not believe I saw any white on it at all.
DSC05954.jpg

Thank you all in advance!

My thoughts...........

1 - not sure but looks like Hook-billed Hawk ??
2- Yellow-olive Flycatcher
3- White-chested Emerald
4- Blue-black Grassquit

I think the first is a zonetailed. They are more often seen with back-swept hand, but it looks on the photos in the gallery like there would be five primaries if folded out like this.

Niels

I'd agree with Sinaloa and Niels that #1 is a Zone-tailed Hawk based on head shape, wings held in a dihedral, and white band(s) on tail. This is a regular resident at Pax and often flies close overhead. The only other black hawk here with a narrow white tail band is the common Black-Hawk, but this is a much heavier looking bird with wider wings and held flat in flight.

#2 looks more like an Ochre-bellied Flycatcher to me. Doesn't have that heavy bill and head nor the light eye of the Yellow-olive Flycatcher. Also the Yellow-olive has an all dark bill and this bird has a flesh/orangish colored lower mandible.

#3 agree White-chested Emerald

#4 agree with Blue-black grassquit

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back