• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID in So Cal, USA (1 Viewer)

wendell2643

This bird was picking up crumbs in a market parking lot this morning in Irvine, CA. Maybe a grackle? Maybe a blackbird? I don't know. Help please . . .

Wendell

Attachments

• 20110322093935-3-1.jpg
    20110322093935-3-1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 139
The tail of this bird does not look like a grackle tail, and southern California would be a very unusual place to find a Common Grackle. The bird is a Brewer's Blackbird, not sure if it is female or immature male. Supermarket parking lots are one of its preferred habitats.

The tail of this bird does not look like a grackle tail, and southern California would be a very unusual place to find a Common Grackle.

Duh!! Guess I should have checked my guide which doesn't show the Common Grackle in Calfornia.

OK, upon further review I concede it is a female Brewer's Blackbird. It's apparent length led me astray. It looks long in the photo.

Where I felt compelled to chime in again is from the repetition of Common Grackles not being in Southern California. Here I can confidently say this is incorrect. They are well established here now. They also are frequently seen in parking lots. Clearly their range has expanded since many field guides were last revised.

Added:
Here's a pic taken from my small Sibley's (2003, no revisions) showing C. Grackles in SoCal, though indicated "rare". I can tell you they are no longer rare. I can go see them 5 minutes from my home.

Attachments

• Common Grackle.jpg
    Common Grackle.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Where I felt compelled to chime in again is from the repetition of Common Grackles not being in Southern California. Here I can confidently say this is incorrect. They are well established here now. They also are frequently seen in parking lots. Clearly their range has expanded since many field guides were last revised.

Are you sure you're not confusing Common Grackles with Great-tailed Grackles? AFAIK, Common Grackles are still considered vagrants in California; they certainly are in southern Nevada.

Last edited:
eBird shows only a handful of reports of Common Grackle this year and last in all of California: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...r=2010&eYear=2011&continue.x=28&continue.y=10

Most of the reports are from a single Supermarket parking lot in the LA area, so I think we know Kevin's appx location now ;-).

Best,
Jim

I'm in eastern Ventura County 2 miles from LA Co. The San Fernando Valley is 5 miles away. I also see the birds in question in a series of parking lots on the west side of town.

Well, maybe. Certainly my curiosity is piqued. When I get a little time (hah!), I'll see if I can get a pic of the mysterious Simi Valley Grackles.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited:
Just checked and Common Grackle also remains a review species in eBird, meaning a report would only be accepted if supported by documentation. But interesting to "hear" it's apparently now established in a few areas.

Jim

Do you want a few from my back yard? They have been taking over. Even the squirrels are looking over their shoulders when they venture near the Arbor Vitae where they nest!;)
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back