• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kruger Caldera 8x42 (2 Viewers)

A couple of years ago, with the help of web-site reviews, I bought a pair of Vortex-Stokes DLS 10x42s for under $500 and was blown away by the combination of American design and quality control plus Asian (Japanese I think) lenses.

(I'm in Australia where binoculars are generally astronomical in price or like looking through jam-jar bottoms).

This time, I've been looking for a pair of entry level binoculars around the $200 mark for my son. I stuck with the American/Asian formula and went for Kruger Caldera 10x42s at $214. (I think I scored the last discounted pair on Amazon).

They have an AB18 series prefix. No problems whatsoever with the diopter setting or focus knob. Or anything else for that matter. These are excellent birding binoculars, comparable to my Vortex with the bonus of an increased FOV and fiddley but effective eye-shield wings. Incredible for the price.

I read one review warning of a "Rolling Ball" effect on these. When I first used them I noticed it too - very slightly. Strangely though, after about 15 minutes of use the effect went away. Maybe the software between my ears kicked-in and compensated.

insomnia....

This is the older version. I paid too much for it. Here it is for 202.00:http://www.packsandtents.com/products/Calderra-8x42-Sngl%2dHng-X%2dWd-FOV.html

The diopter keeps moving and it doesn't focus as sharp as the Zen Ray.

I'm a tiny bit suspicious if Krueger really "engineered" this binocular when Adorama had/has an identical diopter design for quite a while. I already had one of these and it was defective and I returned it. I thought the diopter looked familiar..

Pic below is Adorama's Pro-Optic

****edit***********

However, I really like the focus dampening. There is a little play but it's very easy to move.

Attachments

• pro842_1.jpg
    pro842_1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I spoke with the folks at Kruger this afternoon and found out facts regarding two applicable points discussed here. First, it was stated that the Caldera does not have dielectric mirroring. Second, they sure way to check if one has the new, corrected diopter adjustment is to look at the button: if it is round, it's the old one and if it's square and black, it's the improved model.

I'll be curious to see whether you see the same apparrent wider fov as I do.

Oh yeah, I did not have a similar experience. My peripheral vision indicated less apparent FOV and when I tried to use my eyes to look at the edges, I would see "blackouts". This is with eye cups fully extended. It just wasn't a good fit for my eyes.

Last edited:
Mine looks just like the one in the picture, except the diopter ring is a gold color rather than thre reddish orange one shown in the photh on the site. It is a locking affair, both the diopters on the first two runs lock. The button is pushed down and the diopter adjusted, then locks in place upon release of the button. The one I have, and the one pictured, is the original production run with the AB21 serial numbers. The current run. distinguished by serial numbers beginning AB22, has what appears to be the same diopter mechanism, except there is a rubbery ring around the entire diopter mechanism, the one pictured is the earlier AB21 series. The adjustment works the same way. There is a raised area on the diopter ring that is over the diopter adjustment button. The button is pushed, the diopter is adjusted and locks when you remove your finger. The only problem with the original diopter is that the exposed button can get pushed and the ring can move, throwing the diopter out of adjustment. The newer modification looks like it should be better. The knob makes a double check of the setting pretty easy to check and adjust by feel. There seems to be no diopter creep and actual movement of the diopter is pretty rare, and typically my fault for not keeping it always in a case while in my pickup. Adjustment is sharp and precise in my experience.

The optics in the two are the same.

I have no idea of what birdazzLED is seeing. I do wonder if he contacted Kruger with his issue. It seems he's looking for an argument, and if so can do that by himself.

peterginsburg (or whoever he spoke to at Kruger) is simply mistaken, the Caldera is dielelctric coated. This comes from my direct questions to Kruger's Marketing Manager, the Head Engineer at the Kruger facility, and if one wishes to check the Kruger catalog http://www.krugeroptical.com/docs/catalog_2011_ko.pdf
The dielectric coating is printed in black and white on page 7.

The Caldera I originally purchased was the newer series, but the one I now have, which Kruger replaced (due to above described issues) is the original style.

The more I use this glass the better I like it. The overall image quality is at least on par with the ZEN ED 2 series and the Vortex Talon. The big difference is the distinct ergonomics feel. It is so close to the Razor HD, that it is pretty hard to justify that extra cost for the Razor.

Kruger was aware of some potential diopter complaints, the big reason they went to the modification on the second run. The winged eye cups don't stay in place and Kruger is addressing that as well.

Last edited:
Steve, does the winged cups fold back enough so as not to interfere with eyeglasses?

Yes they do. The ocular cover are oversized enough to fit over the folded over wing. If yo get a pair and decide to keep them, the wings can be trimmed of pretty easily as well.

I have no idea of what birdazzLED is seeing. I do wonder if he contacted Kruger with his issue. It seems he's looking for an argument, and if so can do that by himself.

Hehe, i'm not trying to argue. I'm just sayin' that it doesn't fit my eyes well and that I had practically the same bin from Adorama. I sent it back because it was broken.

Hehe, i'm not trying to argue. I'm just sayin' that it doesn't fit my eyes well and that I had practically the same bin from Adorama. I sent it back because it was broken.

Well, me neither. Just was not sure. Would have been interestingl to see how Kruger would have responded to the issue. Certainly one binocular design won't work for everybody.

Yes they do. The ocular cover are oversized enough to fit over the folded over wing. If yo get a pair and decide to keep them, the wings can be trimmed of pretty easily as well.

Thanks Steve. I have narrowed my choice down to this binocular or the Theron 8x42. Sure like the sound of the ergonomics of the Kruger. But first and foremost I want the best optics. Both are in the same price range, so money is not an issue.

Thanks Steve. I have narrowed my choice down to this binocular or the Theron 8x42. Sure like the sound of the ergonomics of the Kruger. But first and foremost I want the best optics. Both are in the same price range, so money is not an issue.

The simplest way I can describe the difference is this.

Kruger- Wide FOV, more compact.

Theron- brighter image, sharper edge, noticeably smaller fov.

While the Theron appears brighter, do not think the Kruger is not bright, it is. This may well be a simple difference of color balance, the Theron being a cooler, bluish and the Caldera a more neutral cast.

I really can't tell you which has the best optics, it's pretty much a wash. It will be between size and ergonomics more than optics, except for the very obvious fov difference.

While the Theron appears brighter, do not think the Kruger is not bright, it is. This may well be a simple difference of color balance, the Theron being a cooler, bluish and the Caldera a more neutral cast.

I really can't tell you which has the best optics, it's pretty much a wash. It will be between size and ergonomics more than optics, except for the very obvious fov difference.

Thanks again Steve,. In that case the Kruger wins out.

I'm liking my Caldera 10x42s more now. They do a spectacular job on flowers and bumble bees. I'm also getting used to the fast focus on more distant targets.

I had actually thought about selling or trading them, but it now looks like they could become my favorite bins for nature walks.

I do wish they would redesign the eye cups to eliminate the rotating wings and give a couple extra millimeters of usable eye relief instead.

Still, I would highly recommend them now.

Mark

The Vortex Razor I got along with the Caldera has not been able to seperate itself far enough from the Caldera to really warrant keeping it, especially when the difference is some $700. My two keepers for now are the ZEN ED 2 7x36 and the Caldera 8x42.

Steve,FYI. Since I was going to purchase a Mag82 spotter, I went ahead and ordered the Theron ED binocular. Will be here about Wensday and I will give a report.

Caldera Focus Wheel

The Vortex Razor I got along with the Caldera has not been able to seperate itself far enough from the Caldera to really warrant keeping it, especially when the difference is some $700. My two keepers for now are the ZEN ED 2 7x36 and the Caldera 8x42.

Steve,

What do you think about the focus wheel? Its looks rather small compared to most binoculars out there. I am considering these yet do you think there would be any issue in adjusting focus while wearing gloves?

Steve,

What do you think about the focus wheel? Its looks rather small compared to most binoculars out there. I am considering these yet do you think there would be any issue in adjusting focus while wearing gloves?

I guess you mean the focus wheel of the Razor? It really is no smaller in diameter than any other, but it is longer, so the relationship makes it look smaller in diameter. I have no problems with it, even with gloves, which I almost never use anyway, even in the cold.

Caldera Focus Wheel

I guess you mean the focus wheel of the Razor? It really is no smaller in diameter than any other, but it is longer, so the relationship makes it look smaller in diameter. I have no problems with it, even with gloves, which I almost never use anyway, even in the cold.

Actually my question is about the Caldera. The front to back distance of the focus wheel looks rather short compared to others. Not the diameter. My concern is that a gloved hand my also be in contact with the diopter adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back