• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya & Tanzania Dragonflies Nov/Dec 12 (1 Viewer)

AlexJPemberton

Some unidentified dragonflies from a recent trip to Kenya & Tanzania in Nov/Dec 12. I've no idea of the Odonata of the region so any help greatly appreciated:

Kenya - Sarova Taita Hills lodge:
2012_11_26_IMG_0163a.jpg

Tanzania - Ngorongoro crater (Hippo Pools):
2012_11_28_IMG_2551a.jpg

Tanzania - Serengeti (Sopa Lodge):
2012_11_29_IMG_3200a.jpg

Kenya - Voyager camp, nr Tsavo West:
Possibly, Scarlet Darter (Crocothemis erythraea)?
2012_12_02_ Crocothemis erythraea.jpg

Kenya - Voyager camp, nr Tsavo West:
Northern Banded Groundling (Brachythemis impartita)?
2012_12_02_Brachythemis.jpg

1. Pantala flavescens
2. Orthetrum sp ?trinacria
3. Trithemis kirbyii
I would have guessed the same as you for 4&5

I agree with the three ID's that Paul has given, and would suggest that No. 2 is Orthetrum trinacria (Long Skimmer).

I also agree with Scarlet Darter (AKA Broad Scarlet) for No. 4, but think that No. 5 may well be Southern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis leucosticta.

... but think that No. 5 may well be Southern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis leucosticta.

I can see that now! - the all dark borders to the pterostigmas and dark veins behind them. Pretty poor for someone who has B.impartita as their screensaver|:$|

Roy and Paul, many thanks for the help on the ID's. I'd also confused the Groudlings in my initial stab but I'd have had no clue on the others. Incidentally is there an authoritative field guide for the region? There doesn't seem to be a recent one for butterflies ....

I've just realised I missed one very long distance shot from Shimba lodge. This is a heavy crop from a shot taken in flight of a v v large dragonfly, it was at least twice of the other dragonflies over the pool.

2012_12_05_IMG_1146a.jpg

Incidentally is there an authoritative field guide for the region? There doesn't seem to be a recent one for butterflies ....
There is nothing at all readily available for East Africa at present - South African guides (eg. Samways) cover many of the species, but any ID that use them (including the ones I have suggested) has to take into account the fact that there may be similar closely related species.

Africa-dragonfly.net is a good web resource (but not comprehensive).

This is an Orthetrum species (a skimmer). It is probably possible to get a specific ID from the details visible in this photo, but I would need to check some literature!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back