• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (2 Viewers)

Cattle Egret

Showing well in the field beside Town End farm again after it had a trip down to the River Eden and into a local back garden.
Believe the Geese at Easton have been scattered by low flying aircraft also the farmer has been spreading where the Geese were on Saturday.
Ian Carswell

Cattle Egret

The bird is showing well at lunch time it is back in the field next to the farm after being down to the river Eden again.
Also 3 Little Grebe and two Song Thrush.
Ian

Hi everyone,

Slightly "off topic" but it has been mentioned on this thread previously: The Gretna Starling roost was really spectacular last Saturday afternoon with thousands of birds swirling around. Best to watch from the laybys on the Springfield - Kirkpatrick-Fleming road (more details & pics on my blog). We arrived at 5.15PM and the birds were just arriving.
This spectacle ended a fine afternoon actually as we jammed in on the Red-breasted Goose on the way up to Dumfries & Galloway. Nice Barn Owl at Moorhouse as we passed through too.

The Cattle Egret was present again at Grinsdale this morning, though it flew off high jus after 11 and was not seen subsequently despite exstensive searching!

Also in the general area today:

1 Merlin
12 Goosander
10 Goldeneye
6 Little Grebe
2 Grey Wagtail
Tree Sparrow etc

Also Tawny Owl calling near Monkhill

Cattle Egret

Hi! Tristan,
On the LDBWS site an unidentified Egret was seen in flight at Humphrey Head heading in the direction of Allithaite at 1700hrs I wonder if that was our bird.
Ian C

Hi! Tristan,
On the LDBWS site an unidentified Egret was seen in flight at Humphrey Head heading in the direction of Allithaite at 1700hrs I wonder if that was our bird.
Ian C

Quite possibly Ian! It certainly took off and flew to fairly high altitude yesterday.
A bit of a shame if it has gone as it was a real cracker of a bird! If you find us a Night Heron along that stretch of the Eden next that would be great ;)

Quite possibly Ian! It certainly took off and flew to fairly high altitude yesterday.
A bit of a shame if it has gone as it was a real cracker of a bird! If you find us a Night Heron along that stretch of the Eden next that would be great ;)
That I will try to do Tristan, it is a good walk along the river with a good variety of wildlife and later on you can watch the Salmon fishermen which can be entertaining at times.
Ian

Cattle Egret

Unfortunately the bird seems to have departed for pastures new.
Ian carswell

Attachments

• Cattle Egret Grinsdale 19-2-08.jpg
    Cattle Egret Grinsdale 19-2-08.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 73
Pinkfeet

There is about 4000 Pinkfeet at Easton again this lunchtime no sign of the Red-breasted Goose, a few Barnacle Geese on Campfield and many geese Pinks and Barnacle flying up towards Rockcliffe.
Ian

Still reasonable numbers of Pink-footed Geese near Abbeytown at NY137512. The adult Greenland Whitefronted Geese is still amongst them and a small number of Barnacle Geese. No sign of the Ross's Goose but the white leucistic Banacle Goose had me going briefly!

I noticed an article in the Cumberland News on the Cattle Egret at Grinsdale. Not only were there three pics of the bird but Ian also got his face published!

The artical excluding pictures can be viewed here:

http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=795758

They state that the bird is a male - a tad optimistic in winter plumage I would think!

Regards
Tristan Reid

Sizergh castle

Had 5 sightings of Hawfinch,s this morning in the car park area I think they were 5 different birds because there was 2 then another 2 then a single.
Ian C

Hello,there`s been a Ring Necked Duck on Bassenthwaite since Christmas, has been clearly visible from the hide.
Last week saw the Eagle displaying nicely in Riggindale Valley and up to 4-5 Peregrines in the Haweswater area. Fantastic views of a pair chasing a Pigeon from the car park.
Also had 2 Goldeneye and Green Sandpiper on the River Lowther by Knipe-an unexpected bonus.

Hello,there`s been a Ring Necked Duck on Bassenthwaite since Christmas, has been clearly visible from the hide.
Last week saw the Eagle displaying nicely in Riggindale Valley and up to 4-5 Peregrines in the Haweswater area. Fantastic views of a pair chasing a Pigeon from the car park.
Also had 2 Goldeneye and Green Sandpiper on the River Lowther by Knipe-an unexpected bonus.

Yes the female Ring-necked Duck was found by Craig on the 30th December - I wondered if it was still present!

I'm visiting Carlisle early next week. Can anyone recommend a good birding site nearby (wheres Talkin Tarn? Anywhere nr Carlisle?).

Cheers

Adam

Taking Tarn is about 11 mile east of Carlisle, just outside of Brampton on the A69. Some other good places are Gelt Woods, just before Brampton on the A69. Kingmoor Nature Reserve 1mile NW of Carlisle, Rockcliffe apx 5mile NW. Really it depends on the species you hope to see.

Just thought I'd let you know about this exhibition, seeing as how Cumbria ain't that far from Corbridge ;)

Starting TODAY, 27th February until 30th March there is an exhibition by the Society of Wildlife Artists at the Fifiefofum Gallery at Newton, near Corbridge. Open Wednesday to Sunday, 10am until 5pm and entry is free. The Gallery is clearly signposted from the A69.

http://www.fifiefofum.com/exhibitionDetails.asp?exhibitionID=13&topButNo=3

Neil and I plan to pop down there in the next week or so........so I've got until then to work out HOW I can get my mitts on £425 squids for that gorgeous Long-tailed Ducks at the Farne Islands pic by Michael Warren....I'm TOTALLY in love with it!!!! You can almost FEEL the swell of the waves!!!

Little Owls

There has been a decrease of Little Owl in the places I visit on my local birding trips in the Carlisle area, I knew of 5 places where one or two could be guaranteed but over the last 2 years the Owls appear to have deserted and now I have no known site's, do you have the same problem? any local sightings would be appreciated.
Ian Carswell

South Walney Island Nature Reserve:

On Monday and Tuesday just gone I visited South Walney Nature Reserve. This is my favourite place for birding. Saw numerous Shelduck and Eider, Red-breasted Merganser, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Dunlin, Curlew, Greenshank, Golden Plover, Turnstone, Meadow pipits, Reed bunting, Barnacle Geese, Canada Geese, numerous large gulls and there was a Merlin about. I saw much more including 3 geese I could not id.

It was extremely windy and the sea was quite rough. A superb location to go birding and sea watching and an exhilerating experience. I'll be back there this Sunday coming:t: After the visit I will write an account of my experience on the 'Your Birding Day' thread.

Dean

Last edited:
South Walney Island Nature Reserve:

As I did not go last weekend as planned I visited South Walney Island nature Reserve yesterday(Saturday) and was there the whole day. The sea was wild and the wind very strong but the walk was exhilerating. Arrived at a very high tide

Managed to see the following:-

Redshank, 650+ Dunlin, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, numerous Eider, Oystercatcher, Lesser Black backed and Herring Gull, Brent and Canada Geese, Reed Bunting, Curlew, meadow Pipits, numerous Wigeon, Teal and Shelduck, 5 Common Seals. There were also Sanderling about. Finally, I watched a Merlin in flight, hunting and perched at very close quarters.

Saw those same three geese I could not ID the last time I was there. They had a white face and white neck at rear and black all the way down front of neck.

The wind remained strong most of the day on the reserve and it was very cold but a thoroughly good walking and birding experience:t: In the afternoon there was blue sky and sunshine. The whole place was alive with birds resting, sheltering, preening, feeding and in flight.

Dean

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back