• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizergh Hawfinches (2 Viewers)

I think the K in Car park refered to the posted Street Map map not to anything on the ground. Have a look around in the tops of the trees, that is where the hawfinchs accumulate before dropping down.

There has been an irregular smew at Leighton Moss for the last month but the Moss is mostly frozen over so not the best times for ducks but can be good for bittern. Snow bunting have been seen on the Carnforth Slag Heaps but they aren't the prettiest place to bird if you are after scenery.

I think the K in Car park refered to the posted Street Map map not to anything on the ground. Have a look around in the tops of the trees, that is where the hawfinchs accumulate before dropping down.

There has been an irregular smew at Leighton Moss for the last month but the Moss is mostly frozen over so not the best times for ducks but can be good for bittern. Snow bunting have been seen on the Carnforth Slag Heaps but they aren't the prettiest place to bird if you are after scenery.

Snow Buntings woud be good anywhere. The problem with the Smew is it is very off and on. Smew on Pine Lake. Where can one park for that?

Cool I will park there next time I pass that way if the Smew is still present. Went to Sizergh today. Got there for 9am. Saw Bullfinches, Nuthatches, all the Tits except Willow and Crested, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Grey Heron, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Robin - out in force and fighting, Dunnock, Collared Dove, Woodpigeon, Chaffinch, a possible Brambling but the one that i got up early for was the one that got away. I threw feed out but no sign except two birds flew away from the area near the feeders that could have very possibly been Hawfinches but I shall never know.

Very foggy today. It added to the winter beauty of the lakes but views were limited. added 180 miles to my car today and spent from £15-20 on petrol. I did not spend on anything else.

@ Gronk08 - they told me it was easier to see the Hawfinches in March but the days will be longer so you may have to get up earlier even. It maybe worth attending the Hawfinch event simply because if you are travelling all that way an extra £10 for a gauranteed sighting is worth it. I would have waited until then but I wanted to see the Lakes in snow but with less fog of course.

@ ianF and Mono - the gates were open when I got there! Luckily I did not have to wait and stand in the cold.

Me and two friends travelled across from Newcastle today hoping to see hawfinch at Sizergh. It didn't look to promising coming across the A69 at 6.30am in the driving rain. Our luck was in though with it easing up just as we entered the castle grounds. We had fantastic views of 4 hawfinch almost immediately. Perched and foraging in the leaf litter by the play ground.

Well worth the early start and petrol money.

Steve

Four showed really well early this morning just before the gate under the patch of trees to the right of the slope to the gateway - never seen them so well or in that area before - was brilliant to watch then foraging and using those beaks to sort the fruit stones they were searching out!

Attachments

• Hawfinch2Sizergh190212.jpg
    Hawfinch2Sizergh190212.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 96
5 hawfinches this morning between 07:35 and 09:10. 3 in play area and 2 in trees behind cafe. Gates open. Also pair of jays, raven over, various tits and finches.

Phil

Great views of 5 (4 males and a female) coming to feed infront of the childrens play area this morning. Don't seem to be bothered when you are in a car, I was only c10 metres from them and they were unfased. Also 2 Nuthatch and Coal Tit coming to the food, as well as Green Woodpecker and Bullfinch around.

Took the long way home from Manchester today, and there was 1 hawfinch visible for around an hour at 11am this morning. Was able to watch from about 15m away sitting on the raised verge at the end of the car park.

The feeding station was also quite busy.... at least 30 chaffinch, 2 bullfinch, 4 goldfinch, 3-4 coal tit, 8-10 blue-tit, 3-4 great tit, robin, 2 song thrush, 2 nuthatch, 1 dunnock. Sadly no marsh tit though, which I believe can be seen sometimes.

Just an update on the Hawfinches. We've been seeing 12-15 over the last few mornings. Difficult to give a total as they seem to be in several small groups, usually 3-4 though this morning we had eight together on the ground all in one group amongst the picnic tables in the centre of the car park. Another 3-4 were on the ground by the childrens play area.

Definitely better to stay in the car as they give views down to 2-3m.

Attachments

• IMG_1266a.jpg
    IMG_1266a.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1299b.jpg
    IMG_1299b.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1372a.jpg
    IMG_1372a.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2459a.jpg
    IMG_2459a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2513a.jpg
    IMG_2513a.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 66
Just an update on the Hawfinches. We've been seeing 12-15 over the last few mornings. Difficult to give a total as they seem to be in several small groups, usually 3-4 though this morning we had eight together on the ground all in one group amongst the picnic tables in the centre of the car park. Another 3-4 were on the ground by the childrens play area.

Definitely better to stay in the car as they give views down to 2-3m.

Lovely shots Ian - I was quite pleased with mine until I saw yours :)

Anyone know if they are still showing and if so what time is best to get there - I could manage about 8am at the earliest

Thanks

Davo

Anyone know if they are still showing and if so what time is best to get there - I could manage about 8am at the earliest

Thanks

Davo

There were 10+ there on Monday morning around 7.30am. Don't know how long they were around as we only popped in for ten minutes on our way to Hey Bridge.

Cheers
Jonathan

There were 10+ there on Monday morning around 7.30am. Don't know how long they were around as we only popped in for ten minutes on our way to Hey Bridge.

Cheers
Jonathan

Ta v much hopefully will be able to get up there early on Sunday morning.

Cheers

D

This morning just after 9 am - no sign of the Hawfinches when I arrived. Parked up opp the children's play area and settled down to wait. Sure enough after about 20 mins a cracking male (ringed right leg) flew down, immediately followed by another male and a female. The first male came within 3 m of my car as he was pecking away amongst the gravel. The NT property doesn't open until 11 am for visitors so I suspect it's not essential to be there super early.

Great day continued with view sof the male osprey at Bassenthwaite from the Winlatter Pass road - the 'official' viewing point was a joke - £1.70 to park - if you can find a space- absolutely crawling with Easter holiday families. Winlatter was much the same - packed out - but at least they have something to offer for your car parking fee...

Great day continued with view sof the male osprey at Bassenthwaite from the Winlatter Pass road - the 'official' viewing point was a joke - £1.70 to park - if you can find a space- absolutely crawling with Easter holiday families. Winlatter was much the same - packed out - but at least they have something to offer for your car parking fee...

Off topic I know but personally I think that £1.70 isn't that bad and they do offer something for the car parking fee - Ospreys.

Stephen

I'm going to be be at Sizergh in a couple weeks, does anybody know if the Hawfinches have been seen recently?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back