• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 501HDV on Feisol 3301 legs question (1 Viewer)

mannukiddo

I am looking for a new Manfrotto 501HDV fluid head for my PF80 ED straight, to mount on my Feisol 3301 cf legs. These legs do not have a center column and there is just a base where the head is directly screwed on.

The few videos that I have seen on youtube and other sites, make me believe that to mount this head on my 3301 head, I need some bowl kind of an accessory with a handle that protrudes below the tripod base. Now I am confused if the 501HDV will a direct fit or not on my Feisol 3301 which just has a nut protruding on top of the head mount where I screwed my earlier head.

I guess the manfrotto too will be mounted directly and screwed tight but will I lose panning if I did not have this bowl accessory that I have seen on the the videos?

I would like to hear for 501HDV users who have mounted their heads to their tripods that do not have space for center columns.

Thanks and Regards,

The bowl you refer to is just a levelling device so that (video) cameras can easilily be adjusted to the horizontal in uneven terrain. It's not necessary for use with a scope.

The Manfrotto 501 is a 2-way (pan and tilt) head and should be just fine with the Feisol 3301. It would have the standard 3/8" x 16 thread.

If you are tall the set-up might be a little uncomfortable with a straight scope and you might like to consider purchasing a centre column for the Feisol, which is available as an accessory.

John

The bowl you refer to is just a levelling device so that (video) cameras can easilily be adjusted to the horizontal in uneven terrain. It's not necessary for use with a scope.

The Manfrotto 501 is a 2-way (pan and tilt) head and should be just fine with the Feisol 3301. It would have the standard 3/8" x 16 thread.

If you are tall the set-up might be a little uncomfortable with a straight scope and you might like to consider purchasing a centre column for the Feisol, which is available as an accessory.

John

Thanks a lot John, this was of great help.

Lovely shot of the moon and thanks for the scope on the 501 shots. So I see that the 501 head ends at the little matte silver I see just below the head right? Or is that part of the tripod?

Thanks for the compliment. The matte silver below the scope and above the 501 head is just an aluminum plate I drilled holes in for the telescope mounting rings. I drilled and tapped the plate for the sliding quick release plate. I just move the telescope in the mounting rings to balance and the sliding plate. This head handles the scope pretty good as the Moon shot shows. The head is a little overkill for a 60mm spotter. BTW the head tripod and scope were all bought used or something was traded.

Finally got my 501 HDV last week and the first impressions are very positive. The head is heavier than I imagined but is super smooth in both pan and tilt, easily a lot better than my ball head that I used for all this time. The PF80 balances beautifully on it and movements are very nice. Thanks for all the help I got here from Steve and John. This indeed is a wonderful forum.

Last edited:
Hi Mannukiddo, I am glad you like the 501 head, other than kind of heavy it is great. Do you have the screws that screw up under the head base to keep it from coming loose?

Finally got my 501 HDV last week and the first impressions are very positive. The head is heavier than I imagined but is super smooth in both pan and tilt, easily a lot better than my ball head that I used for all this time. The PF80 balances beautifully on it and movements are very nice. Thanks for all the help I got here from Steve and John. This indeed is a wonderful forum.

Yes one of the best video head for our scope plus digiscoping :king:

I looked up the Feisol 3301 tripod and looks like a heavy duty tripod and a little lighter than the almost 10 lbs. of mine. :)

Last edited:
Hi Mannukiddo, I am glad you like the 501 head, other than kind of heavy it is great. Do you have the screws that screw up under the head base to keep it from coming loose?

Hi Steve,

Sorry for a late reply. But I am not sure of what screws you are talking about. There is just 1 screw on the tripod on which the head is mounted. Other than this there is no other screw is available.

Regards

Hi, The plate on the tripod that has the 3/8 screw that you mount your 501 head on, at the bottom of this plate there "could" be screws that screw up from the bottom to keep the 501 head from coming loose if you turn it to the left.These screws push into the bottom of the Heads mounting surface. The head has ridges in it on the bottom part of the mounting shoe.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back