• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what tripod I need (1 Viewer)

mblank

I have used Manfrotto 055+128RC for Swaro65. Now I have Kowa 883 (kowa's tripod base does not directly fit into the tripod head) and it seems the scope is more shaky in the wind. Is it worth changing the Manfrotto into Gitzo Traveller BW kit?
What is your opinion?

Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz,

The Gitzo Traveler tripods are a quality product but I doubt that they would provide any advantage in stability over your present set-up. They all have four leg sections, which results in very thin (and unstable) lower leg sections. In the case of the Series 2 these are only 16 mm, which have only about 30% of the rigidity of the 24 mm bottom sections of a 3 section series 3.

With the angled Kowa 883 you will only need a tripod height (without extended centre column) of 55-60 cm less than your own height, so an ideal solution would be a 3-section carbon fibre tripod with 32 mm diameter (or larger) top sections. The Gitzo GT3531 would fit the bill but is very expensive. However, there are cheaper alternatives from Benro, Feisol, Induro or Velbon.

If you are willing to accept a weight of 3 kg, the wooden Berlebach 2022 (2-section) would probably offer even better stability and damping than the CF tripods and is not expensive.

The Gitzo 2380 fluid head is rather heavy (avoid the 2180) and the Manfrotto 701HDV would be good alternative, also cheaper and lighter.

Regards and Happy New Year,

John

John makes some very good comments there.
I use a Kowa TSN4 (77mm) with an Opticron SDL V2 eyepiece ( a very good and amazingly cheap combo) on a Manfrotto 701 HDV head. I find the head to very good for the price and allows the use of high magnifications. If weight is not an issue then have a look at the Manfrotto 501 series.
I use Gitzo tripods and have to say that my GT2531, though excellent for photography, does vibrate a bit with the scope. I much prefer to use either of my 3 Series Gitzo's the extra vibration damping is well worth the extra weight. Note all my tripods are 2 or 3 section to maximize rigidity.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back