• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Customs and Excise Charges on Bins from USA. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Not sure where to put this info!.

I have been lookung at getting some Bins from thge USA and thought I would find out what charges UK Customs & Excise would levy on top.

Each item has a commodity code. Bins are 9005100000

Purchase Price+ Insurance+Delivery Multiplied by 4.5% then standard VAT on top of that.

Example:

product cost converted to UKP £ = 100
Insurance (if any ) converted to UKP £=10
Delivery converted to UKP £=10
=120 multiplied by 4.5% = £125.40 Pence

17.5% VAT on top of that = £147.35

Which isn't too bad really, when you consider the savings that could be made!.

C&E Phone number for queries is 0845 010 9000

Last edited:
Just seeing whose taking notice!. Well done Robin!.
My excel calc obviously needs work!.

Just checked and corrected it. My calc was correct.
but the duty is 4.5% not 4% as I had on the original post

Last edited:
Good info, Alan... but I'm a bit concerned that the mirky world of Commodity Codes has hit BF!!!

(Guess what muggins does at work! ;) )

alan_rymer said:
Just seeing whose taking notice!. Well done Robin!.
My excel calc obviously needs work!.

Just checked and corrected it. My calc was correct.
but the duty is 4.5% not 4% as I had on the original post
I spotted that your calc was 4.5% but then didn't bother to mention it. DOH.

alan_rymer said:
Not sure where to put this info!.

I have been lookung at getting some Bins from thge USA and thought I would find out what charges UK Customs & Excise would levy on top.

Each item has a commodity code. Bins are 9005100000

Purchase Price+ Insurance+Delivery Multiplied by 4.5% then standard VAT on top of that.

Example:

product cost converted to UKP £ = 100
Insurance (if any ) converted to UKP £=10
Delivery converted to UKP £=10
=120 multiplied by 4.5% = £125.40 Pence

17.5% VAT on top of that = £147.35

Which isn't too bad really, when you consider the savings that could be made!.

C&E Phone number for queries is 0845 010 9000

Alan - I'm obviously more senile than you - in your calculation is the £147.35p what C&E would charge you -or- is it the difference between £147.35p and what the item cost ???
Bob (a bear with very little brain !)

goldilocks said:
Alan - I'm obviously more senile than you - in your calculation is the £147.35p what C&E would charge you -or- is it the difference between £147.35p and what the item cost ???
Bob (a bear with very little brain !)
Goldilocks

Yup you are right, the calculation is what they base their charge on :
Inport duty of 4.5% of the total cost including insurance and carriage plus the VAT.
In the example I gave you would be liable for £27.35 to the Coffers of the Government on top of the £120 that you already paid to the supplier.
HTH

alan_rymer said:
Goldilocks

Yup you are right, the calculation is what they base their charge on :
Inport duty of 4.5% of the total cost including insurance and carriage plus the VAT.
In the example I gave you would be liable for £27.35 to the Coffers of the Government on top of the £120 that you already paid to the supplier.
HTH

Alan
Many thanks for that - with the $1 = £1 that most of our UK suppliers employ I will definitely start searching the U.S. dealers for my new Scope.
Bob

I wonder which Bins/Scopes are worth buying from the USA;in my experience the major brands are cheaper in the UK,even allowing for the " weak' Dollar.

When I was changing my camera from the 995 to the G3, I almost bought one from the USA, bearing in mind that the duty on digital cameras is 0% (and I've just checked and it's still zero). The reason I changed my mind was that I wondered what I would do if it needed returning due to a fault or something. When I added up the total cost of importing the camera, even taking into account the zero duty, I was no better off. The shipping costs that some retailers were charging also put me off. In one case it came to around £70.

In the end I managed to get almost as good a deal by negotiating a price-match at Jessops, saving over £100 on their normal price.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back