• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Perfect Days Birding (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi everyone,

Monday [8th March] was for me the best days birding I've had.

You may ask why it was so special, well I've wanted to see a Red Kite for quite a few years. Receiving information on their whereabouts from a friend/fellow birder, who lives in same county, I planned my day out.

Also arranged to meet another birder [who belongs this forum] at Rutland Water. I'd never been to this place, so my fellow birder was the guide. He took me round the Egleton visitor centre and then to some of the hides. Though it was sunny, when in the hides we found it quite chilly. In total we saw 39 species of birds during a stay of three hours.

Then we went to Eyebrook reservior, stopped for a bite to eat and then started to scan the water. We were told by other birders that sixteen Grey Heron were in the fields, I only saw six. We got good views of a Common Buzzard. My guide had hoped to show me a Stonechat and Smew but neither were showing. There was the usual ducks and waders there, but nothing special.

Then we went to the site I had been told about, we hadn't long to wait, before a Red Kite appeared, I was getting excited. We drove a little further and parked up. Then proceeded to walk along the track to where the Kites are. My new friend/guide and I both noticed how tame a Dunnock was sat in a tree only yards from us. As we reached the end of the footpath and came out into the open there before us was two Kites, then two more displaying, also saw two Common Buzzard. Then saw four more Red Kites. I didn't know whether to look through the scope, binos or camera [SLR]. Tried to do all three as much as possible, I was so excited at seeing these beautiful birds so close. We both thoroughly enjoyed seeing them above our heads and beyond. Also saw hundreds of Chaffinches, and more Coal Tit's than ever before.

We drove a little further and noticed a stretch of water, while scanning it, three Red Kites were seen, two of them close by. Also saw some Black Swans.

At the end of the day I'd seen what I'd come for and had also made a new friend. We both enjoyed the day and the 'crack'.

Although for me it was an extremely long day, I would not have missed it for anything!

Regards

Intellectual.

Good stuff and it's nice to read about some of my old haunts. Sounds as if you spent some of the day in the north of Northamptonshire, which is a particularly fine area. Amazing that there are so many Red Kites about there nowadays.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back