• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodlark hunt, & something much better! (1 Viewer)

cjay

Today I planned to visit an area near Dunwich to look for singing Woodlarks. It was a bit cold & windy but the clear skies looked good for the birds to get up & sing. I left the car in Dunwich Village & as soon as I left the car a Little Egret was seen sitting on the grazing marsh opposite the pub. Little else was seen until I reached a footpath where both Greater spotted & green Woodpecker were seen. Other than a couple of squabbling Jays it was pretty poor. There were no Woodlarks in song so I decided to walk around to where the Continental white- headed Long tailed Tits were. I did not have to wait long before one was seen low down on some Bramble. I was very pleased to get this very rare bird on my list. Still no singing Chiffchaffs or Black caps yet.

CJ

Nice one on the Scandinavian LT Tit, super birds!

Don't think there's going to be many summer visitors foolish enough to come for the next few days, judging by the forecast . . .

Michael

Sounds like a pretty typical day excepting the tits - wonderful, eh? Wish we lived a bit nearer that wonderful county.

You might want to try Mayday Farm, just past Elvedon. We went there a couple of weeks ago and saw two woodlarks, we also heard at least two singing at any one time.
If you're not familiar with the song, see if you can get hold of a recording, it's a very distinctive and beautiful song and unmistakable once heard!
The woodlarks we saw were in amongst the tussocks on the area in front of the first hide.

Yea a bit out of my area. But thanks anyway. I hope to return to Westleton next week to see if the woodlarks have arrived.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back