• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farmland Walk (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
Since the heat wave continued unabated, decided to have a walk round the local farmland today. Loads of gulls (Common, Herring, Black-headed and Herring) on the ploughed fields, plus a few Lapwing. Wood Pigeons used their ubiquity as an excuse to be everywhere, but very few of the smaller birds I'd expected - one Chaffinch, a few Blackbirds (but no other thrushes), one Skylark, some Pied Wagtails. The only House Sparrows I saw were when I was nearly home, and my hopes of seeing Merlin, Harriers or Owls were dashed - the only raptors were one male Sparrowhawk, and one Kestrel hovering. Some Mallards on the duck pond were at least in the right place, and I dissuaded a fine male Pheasant from crossing the road until the traffic had cleared. Another flock of Lapwing flew over, about 40 in all, and a small flock of Golden Plover, and a party of twelve Red-legged Partridge finished the walk on a seasonal note.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back