• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

List Question (1 Viewer)

joroma

What locations do the "standard" lists include? Do you generally have a UK list or a British list and where do places like the Scillies and the Channel Islands fit? I realise you can have any list you like but to compare like for like I am interested in what areas are included in the UK?British lists - excuse my poor geographical knowledge!

Hi Joroma

Just noticed this hadn't been replied to. You can get an idea of the popular lists people use from BUBO Listing. Many birders tend to prefer either a full Britain and Ireland list or just Britain (i.e. England, Scotland and Wales). The Scillies are part of England and therefore included, although you'll find for county listing some people prefer to keep Cornwall and Isles of Scilly separate, whilst others combine them. I think most birders would exclude the Channel Isles from any British lists, but many do include them - there aren't any rules and it's really up to individuals as to which personal lists they want to keep.

The trouble with keeping lists is that you tend start at the top with, for British birders :-

Life List ( all those birds you've ever seen, anywhere )
Western Palearctic List ( those birds you've seen in Europe and North Africa basically )
National List ( tends to be the UK in Britain, which excludes both the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man )
County List ( self explanatory )
Patch List ( '' )
Garden List ( '' )

There seems to be a growing trend to keep a British Isles List which would include both the Isle of Man and the whole of Ireland but would still exclude the Channel Isles as they are biogeographically part of France. So you pays your money and takes your choice!

Chris

Note that the UK also includes Northern Ireland which makes an odd region geographically for listing, so I'd be surprised if anyone keeps a UK list.

OOOPS. I tend to forget that N.I.is part of the U.K. Thanks for pointing it out. At least we don't have the brain destroying complication the French have when it comes to a national list :eek!:

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back