• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frozen hummer feeders (1 Viewer)

Greetings from cold Canada! Please help us! Although we live on a normally warm/moderate coast line, we do have spells of cold weather. It is currently minus six celcius (colder at night) with strong winds and we are having trouble keeping our feeders thawed. The ports are freezing in about 20-30 minutes. It is supposed to get even colder for the rest of the week. Our poor little Annas hummers are just sitting on a branch a few feet from the feeder and that's where they stay. My husband and I go out twice every hour, bring in the feeders and thaw them, put them out again. Any advice on how to make this a little easier on all of us....most of all the birds?
Thanks
Cold Canadian Hummer

Last winter I had a wintering hummer and I had several nights where the temps fell into the teens. I set up a flood light with a dome over the feeder with a 100 watt bulb. You'll have to play around with how far away the bulb will be away from the feeder. You don't want to melt the feeder) On days and nights where it was not supposed to go above freezing, I left i plugged in for the whole time. My hummer greatly appreciated it as he was at the feeder as early as 5 a.m. in the mornings. ;) Also, if you make the sugar concentration a bit higher say - 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water, it will freeze at a lower temperature.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back