• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Year List (1 Viewer)

11th September 2012

Weather was sunny and warm with a stiff breeze making it cool in the wind.

Orgreave Lagoon's

185 Ring-necked Duck.

Finally managed to get my database sorted and able to correct the errors.

Reed Island / Humber

186 White Fronted Goose ( March)

John

13th September 2012

Very mixed weather today with periods of sunshine and cloud, but generally a blustery wind.
A visit to one of my local reserves for a great looking bird, an adult ,moulting .

Edderthorpe Flash

187 American Golden Plover

John

17th September 2012

Although the sun was shining it was a cool day with blustery South Westerly winds.
A detour to one of my favourite Lincolnshire reserves whilst on our way to Spurn gave me number 200 on my life list after I restarted birding this year again after a 45 yr break.

Far Ings ( Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust)

188 Ferruginous Duck

John

25th September 2012

Athough it was generally a dry day with no rain until late in the afternoon there was a very strong blustery wind which made conditions very difficult as most birds were sheltering and not showing to well, the wind started to abate towards evening.

Spurn Peninsula

189 Brambling

190 Redstart

191 Wryneck

192 Yellow-browed Warbler

John

28th September 2012

A day of mixed weather generally windy with some rain showers and sunshine, with the SW wind decreasing towards mid afternoon.
With the migrant season well underway its back to coast.
Having made a numbering mistake with two 170 entries Im going to miss out 193 to save re-editing.

Spurn Peninsula

194 Greenish Warbler

195 Red-breasted Flycatcher

196 Pintail

197 Lesser Redpoll

198 Pink-footed Goose

199 Firecrest

John

2nd October 2012

A mostly cloudy day with light showers in the morning turning into rain by late afternoon.Wind was South Westerly .
Back to the coast again, but was a very quiet day with few migrants around and a light sea passage.

Spurn Peninsula

200 Red-throated Diver

John

5th October 2012

Weather was overcast with some sunshine and a gentle breeze.
After a pager alert I travelled with a friend to a local reserve.
Our am visit was fruitless but our pm visit was sucessful.
A stunning bird.

Firsby Reservoir

201 Pallid Harrier

John

8th October 2012

A warm sunny day with very little wind. Not ideal for the coast but with some easterly winds the evening before , was hopeful for a reasonable day.
Lots of birds but only one new bird for this year.

Spurn Peninsula

202 Rock Pipit

John

11th October 2012

As I had not been an active birdwatcher since 1966 , when news of this bird came on my alerts I had to make the journey to see it, having last seen the species in 1966.

Swillington Ings

203 Slavonian Grebe

John

14th October 2012

Weather was very pleasant after a frosty night, warm and sunny with very little wind.

Angler's Country Park

204 American Wigeon

John

22nd October 2012

Today was a foggy day with a f 3-4 North Easterly wind, a little rain pm which cleared.
With easterly winds forecast it was off to the coast.
A spectacular day with large falls of winter thrushes, large number of Fieldfare c10,000, Redwing c20,000, Ring Ouzel,Blackbirds, Mistle thrush and Song Thrush in smaller numbers. Goldcrest c800, Brambling in excess of 2,000 it was a fantastic event for me as I hadn't experienced it before.

Spurn Peninsula

205 Black Redstart

206 Ring Ouzel

John

24th October 2012

A misty morning, fog rolling in around lunchtime but cleared mid afternoon.
With the Easterly winds it was back to the coast.

Spurn Peninsula

207 Bluethroat

208 Woodcock

209 Jack Snipe

John

30th October 2012

Weather today was cool in a Westerly wind with periods of sunshine and cloud.
Today was a red letter day for me as I saw a bird I had wanted to see for years and always never did, a fantastic bird.Altogether a total of eighteen were seen coming off the sea , my friends and I had a group of four whilst looking for another reported bird which we didn't see, a Great Grey Shrike.

Spurn Peninsula

210 Waxwing

John

29th October-
Abbottsbury Gardens, Dorset
10 Firecrest, new bird for me, takes Britain year list to 171, world year list 435.

20th November 2012

Weather today started dry but by early afternoon had turned to rain. Strong
blustery wind most of the day with the temperature dropping.

Far Ings ( Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust )

211 Smew

Bridlington Harbour

212 Purple Sandpiper

John

4th December 2012

Weather was very cold with some winter sunshine, rain forcast for later in day.

Clumber Park Nottinghamshire

113 Marsh Tit

John

12th December 2012

Previous post should read 213 Marsh Tit.

Today was a bright day with winter sunshine although temperature was 2c.

Linacre Reservoirs Derbyshire

214 Mandarin Duck

John

31st December 2012

Despite all my efforts and several miles failed to see the Hawfinch's in Notts and the Bewicks had done a similar diappearing act.
I'm looking forwards to next year and some great birds.
Happy New Year to all and enjoy your birding.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back