• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What an ATTITUDE! (1 Viewer)

David in NC

This evening I took the dog out and I sat on the front porch for a few minutes to give her time to get her business done and "hang out" a while before dusk.

We have two nectar feeders up and see several hummingbirds a day. We have a lot of "alpha males" that will sit (even in the rain, as I seen today) and "watch" these feeders and "buzz" an other hummingbirds (and sometimes even BEES) that fly to or NEAR the feeders. We keep them filled so it's not like they are going to starve, but I guess it's their nature (?)

This evening, I watched one buzz another a couple of times, and even a bee that was still flying. He would return to a small maple in our frontyard or go to a small oak sapling at the edge of out property and sit and watch. I didn't have the binocs but I watched this same behavior this morning with binocs and many times in the past.

When I got up to go inside, he buzzed ME!

:cool:

What an attitude! :-O

I was only afew feet from one feeder and I guess he was protecting it (?)

He's (how many GRAMS?) and I'm 350 pounds! As if I even WANTED "his" nectar (which WE put out for him and his kind!) :-O

What an ATTITUDE!!!

The hummers where I live do much of the same thing to each other. However, the only time they get close to us is when they want to tell us we need to refill the feeders. I guess ours are a bit smarter :-O B :)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back