• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Good luck if you go for it Matt!

Connor

LOL, cheers, though won't be twitching for it!

Tuesday looks about the best day next week as far as weather is concerned so will be going anyway, also wouldn't mind another look at that Spotshanks on patts pool...

Anyone know if the Red Necked Phalorope is still on the reserve?

Matt

Nice selection of birds rptd at Cley NWT this afternoon: 2 Roseate Terns, 1 Wood Sand, Little Gull and Temminck's Stint rptd this morning.

Connor

Jus come up on RBA: Norfolk 8 Spoonbills Cley NWT flew east then west over East bank at 5:42pm. Good day for cley... Temmincks Stint has also been seen again this afternoon.

cheers,

Connor

hope you do not mind me butting in so to speak..
starting to prepare already for a trip to your neck of the woods next year..
poss..end of august -september time..i would be very grateful for any info on the best sites to visit on a weeks holiday( and i know theres loads!) as its our first trip in your area..
also looking into renting a cottage or any other self cattering accom.
thanks in advance

Hi. Any part of norfolk is good.
As for rented accomadtion my other half works for a holiday cottage firm it is called. NORFOLK COUNTRY COTTAGES they have about 320 properties on their books.
Barry.

Had a beach picnic lunch today midway between Happisburgh & Cart Gap; Sandwich Terns a plenty here creating a lot of noise as the hungry youngsters begged for food. An Arctic Skua robbed a tern too and earlier a Red-throated Diver was sat on the sea. Also 3 Sanderling flew west and it was good to see 2 fluffy young Ringed Plovers on the shore with a parent bird.

Hobby over the garden this evening was alerted to me by the alarm calls of Swallows...

James

Last edited:
Glad you had a good day Penny. I was going to join you but it has poured with rain here all day and I decided to do school work whilst it was raining in the hope it will clear tomorrow (now today). However to my surprise I saw a Spotted Flycatcher on my telephone wire outside my front window during one downpour. Some sad news in that one of my much loved House Sparrows died on my driveway. I shall bury it tomorrow. I can't see that it would be lack of food as they must be the best fed sparrows of all time!
Good Birding
Sue

Thanks Sue - spotted flycatcher was good!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

east coast seawatch of five hours produced a total of 20 Arctic Skuas yesterday, mostly south

1 Arctic Tern south
6 Whimbrel south
1 Shag
18 Common Scoter north
30 Gannets per hour north
handful of Little Terns
comings and goings of Common and Sandwich Terns made counting very trick
3 Guillemots

soon as i sat down on dunes today four quarelling adult Arctic Skuas passed by very close - 3 pale and one dark, couple more adult Sanderlings

Tim

Finally managed to catch up with a Roseate Tern this afternoon, on Arnolds Marsh, Cley. Watched it twice in flight (didn't see it once on the deck; god knows where it was hiding!) Also 4 Turnstones, 2 Greenshanks, a Whimbrel and lots of Grayling butterflies resting on the shingle. 1 Gannet and a female Common Scoter on the sea.

Elsewhere on the Cley reserve were 3 or 4 Common Sandpipers, 1 Green Sandpiper, a Spotshank, Ruffs etc, and a very odd looking juv. Marsh Harrier (1 of 2 juvs, with a male and a female) It had abhorrent, spotted wings, much like the bird below (halfway down the birds of winter 06/spring 07)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...potted+marsh+harrier&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Last edited:
Good selection of birds at Titchwell this afternoon; 9 Little Gulls, 10 Greenshanks, 1 Med Gull, 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 5+ Common Sandpipers, 1 summer Golden Plover, 2+Spotted Redshanks, 2 Turnstones, 1 Whimbrel, and the Bearded Tits were very active.

Off the beach, lots of summer plumaged Sanderlings and a mixed sex raft of Common Scoters. Not much else, but the sun was out and the sand was comfortable :)

Couple of Corn Buntings along the Choseley road.

Jason

Last edited:
Cley today was good. From the first hide (Avocet?) we had a green sand, 2 greenshank and 2 curlew sands all pretty much in a line, all showing well and conviniently surrounded by ruff, redshank and dunlin for comparison.Text book stuff.
Also 2 yellow-legged gulls bookended by a lesser black-backed and a herring gull - I think someone's trying to teach me bird identification!

Up to 5 marshies about, the polish cygnet was showing from the cafe window, and all in blazing sunshine.

Had a weird one earlier - I was counting dragonflies at the pond at Holt country park, and ended up doing an impromptu "show-n-tell" to the families attracted by the net, when suddenly two black and white sandpipers dived in calling furiously, circled the pond and vanished. Since I had a hand full of dragon at the time all I could do was gape, but black top and white belly with a conspicous white rump makes me think green sand.

Incidently the keeled skimmers are showing really well at Holt Lowes (behind the country park), as were the adders sunbathing on the path. Also got my first Migrant Hawker of the season.

Settled into the dunes here for a half hour or so early this morning in the brisk NW'ly. Nothing too exciting, 3 Arctic Skuas and small numbers of passage waders ~ Curlew, Barwit, Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin. Also my first Golden Plover of the 'autumn' flew west across the fields. 3 Kittiwakes and a few Gannets mooched around offshore with another 30-40 of the latter passing, mostly eastward. Wildfowl were represented by 22 Common Scoter and single Shelduck...

James

Last edited:
Cley today was good. From the first hide (Avocet?) we had a green sand, 2 greenshank and 2 curlew sands all pretty much in a line, all showing well and conviniently surrounded by ruff, redshank and dunlin for comparison.Text book stuff.
Also 2 yellow-legged gulls bookended by a lesser black-backed and a herring gull - I think someone's trying to teach me bird identification!

Up to 5 marshies about, the polish cygnet was showing from the cafe window, and all in blazing sunshine.

LOL

Pretty much snap!!

You may have seen me in Dawkes hide?, sea watch was a bit of a dissapointment though despite a nice 'choppy' sea with incoming winds.

Only managed one Gannet with a few Sandwich, Little and a couple of Common Terns ~ a common seal looked most bemused as it watched me watching it heading towards Blakeney!

Couldn't resist digi-binning a Little Egret:-O

Matt

Attachments

• buckenham etc 308.jpg
    buckenham etc 308.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 88
You turning into a beach bum, Matt? All that quality birding in the rural nowhere's of Nork and you go to Cley again! :-O Hope you didn't cycle this time ... nice pic of the Legret btw.

You turning into a beach bum, Matt? All that quality birding in the rural nowhere's of Nork and you go to Cley again! :-O Hope you didn't cycle this time ... nice pic of the Legret btw.

Yes!! ~ and most definately not;)

Gladly spent three and a half hours sat on buses/train each way ~ not too chuffed about being £20 out of pocket for it though:eek!:

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back