• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New guide for SE-Asia? (1 Viewer)

The Collins Field Guides by Norman Arlott (also Palearctic, India, North America, West Indies) are similar to those by Ber van Perlo: very compact, with minimal text opposite the plates, and distribution maps in an appendix – essentially pocket-sized illustrated checklists.

Last edited:
Is the artwork good? From what you say, sounds like a good complementary to the Robson.

If you check on NHBS: http://www.nhbs.com/title/140156/collins-field-guide-birds-of-india

they have a similar one for India. And that one is already out. So some plates can be checked. Aside from the limited quality of the illustrations, I hate books that don't provide range maps right with the illustrations and text. I think that is a poor concept than can only be worsened by not showing any range maps (or completely wrong ones).

As the only guide for the region so far, Robson, doesn't show range maps at all, maps in the back of the book are indeed a progress ;)

Is the artwork good? From what you say, sounds like a good complementary to the Robson.
As with many field guides for species-rich tropical regions (including Robson), the artwork doesn't match the standards now achieved for (eg) the WP and N America. I'd say that Arlott's artwork isn't bad, given that in recent years he's been illustrating field guides on an industrial scale! But, taking the 2-vol Palearctic guide as an example, I wouldn't try to use it for identification of Phylloscopidae, Locustellidae, Acrocephalidae...

As you say, the maps (presumably based upon HBW?) will anyway provide a worthwhile complement to Robson.

Last edited:
A 'Handbook', would be really nice.....!!!

Something to compliment the field guide but an expansive 'stay at home' reference.

Andy

Amazed there are no reviews for the first significant new guide to the region since Robson.

Cheers
Mike

I'm afraid, Arlott has not the best reputation when it comes to his FGs. That may be why the excitement has remained rather subdued. I hope we get some reviews in the future, though. Except for the front cover, there are still no samples of the plates etc.

One most welcome new feature will be the distribution maps that the Robson book is missing. So it will be important to learn whether they are sufficiently accurate.

Last edited:
I just recieved that book and had a first look. No in-depth comparison yet, and no use in the field yet, so obviously some superficial impressions only:

- Format is quite portable, close to the concise edition of the Robson and much smaller than the full Robson version. Unfortunately, the compact format is somewhat impaired by the thickness of the hard cover and the pointy protruding edges that will be be bothering and wear off fast if used in the field. Not sure if a paperback version is planned, but this would be much preferable. Can't understand why publishers still offer such clumsy hard cover versions for field guides?

- Plates are surprisingly good. I like them overall, a bit strong colors but nothing too much off I think. I also like the consistency throughout, which is good compared to the ones in Robson, which are of very variable quality (due to different artists involved I think). I didn't really challenge the plates for ID of tricky species yet, so can't say anything on how good they really are. Plates are often very croweded and drawings small, and usually at max there are females and males shown, not more plumage variants or different positions (e.g. birds are rarely shown in flight), so obvious limitations in this sense.

- Species accounts are extremly brief, but complement the plates very well I think. I have the impression that the author carefully avoided descriptions that could be deduced from the plates as well, in order to not be redundant. In the extreme, for example for Phyllos warblers, the text does not give any info on plumage features at all, but solely describes behaviour. Overall, texts may often be too short to be reliable as sole ID resource, but they seem useful nevertheless and make good use of space.

- Range maps are given for most species in the back of the book. The numbering system makes it straight forward to find the plates, still it is much less comfortable than with maps being given togehter with text and plates, as it should be. However, as the only competition here (Robson) has no maps at all, maps in the back of the book are still an advantage. The text also gives short range info in similar style as the Robson (e.g. NC Thailand, S Laos), which seems a bit redundant to me. Why not leave the text out and use saved space for putting the maps on the same page? According to the (very brief) introduction, the maps are based on info from Robson, birdlife and ebird.

- I was surprised to see that the area covered by the book included large parts of China, in addition to mainland SE Asia (as in Robson). I like this, as it provides some added value to me (I will use this book in combination to the Robson). But of course the many species included are the reason for short texts and crowed plates.

As a summary, I'm pleasantly surprised by the book so far. Plates look good and the book is quite portable. Texts seem quite useful for ID in the field. But it is clearly more of an illustrated checklist, than a detailed field guide of reference book. As a single resource, I would still go for the Robson (2008). But I can imagine to use the Arlott guide as book in the field (replacing the concise version of Robson), in addition to the large Robson book, which still needs to be in the luggage.

Last edited:
Maybe some will cut out or copy the range maps and stick them in their Robson?

That's not a euphemism by the way!!!!

Edit: How was his India guide received?

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back