• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct Birds (1 Viewer)

In this case I agree with Hume/Walters. There no reliable evidence that any Cozumel Thrasher has survived the past Hurricane seasons.

I agree - but then why exclude all of the "other" Hawaiian birds that have obviously gone? It's the inconsistency that concerns me - they don't seemed to have used IUCN /BLI criteria - or indeed any consistent criteria of their own. The Giant Antpitta example above is laughable - I would estimate that 500-1000 people have seen it in the last 20 years!

cheers, alan

Bet your figures are something of an underestimate Alan. Every time I've been to Angel Paz's reserve there have been between five and 15 other people there. Of course, there are many people, like me, who've been multiple times, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could add one zero to your figures.

"why exclude all of the "other" Hawaiian birds that have obviously gone?"

Perhaps you could explain which birds you mean, Alan?

Helen James recently wrote to Julian to congratulate us on the extinct Hawaiian birds' completeness.

JM

Extinct Birds 2nd edition is now out since August 10, 2017. Well I've made an order attempt at Amazon.de but they have send me the wrong edition (2012) and so I have returned the book back to Amazon. Today I have made a new attempt at NHBS. I hope it works now. Peter Maas from the Extinction Website already has his copy. He told that it has indeed 608 pages, these are 64 pages more than in the first edition. And there are several new entries. But several changes (e.g. Cygnus sumnerensis and Heliangelus zusii) and new descriptions (e.g. Pyrrhula crassa) are not recognized.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back