• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoskins's (alt. Hoskins') Pygmy Owl (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some minor bits and pieces, that I stumbled upon, maybe useful (or not), regarding the obscure, very little-known eponym ...

hoskinsii as in:
• the debated species or subspecies Baja/Cape Pygmy-Owl Glaucidium (gnoma) hoskinsii BREWSTER 1888 (here) as "Glaucidium gnoma hoskinsii":
To Mr. Francis Hoskins of Triumfo, Lower California, by request of Mr. Frazar to whom Mr. Hoskins rendered invaluable aid in the exploration of the Sierra de la Laguna.
Could this be aimed at Major Francis Hoskins a k a "Francisco Hoskins", superintendent/Director of United Mines ("Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California") in the (Silver and Gold) Mining town Triunfo (a k a "Triumfo"), Lower California (Baya California) ... ?

See links; here, here and here (p.135). Could it be that guy who showed Mr. Frazar around the area? If he, in any direct way, assisted Frazar in capturing the owl itself (as have been assumed) is unknown to me.

However, that´s all I´ve seen of him, and I haven´t dug any deeper (as this birds is californiasparvuggla in Swedish). But maybe it could be worth someting, as a little clue or at least a possibility ... for anyone interested, trying to know more of this unknown man (and eponym)?

If so; good luck finding him!

Björn

Very plausible, as El Triunfo would be a logical waypoint on a trip into the Sierra, and it's a very small town (600 miners, 400 others at that time). Francis Hoskins isn't an unusual american name, but how many gringos would be in this Mexican mining outpost (whose "entire working force is Mexican", except foremen)?

Wikipedia says this, which appears at first blush to contradict your idea:

The epithet hoskinsii commemorates Francis Hoskins, an assistant to Marston Abbott Frazar, an ornithologist who the American businessman George Burritt Sennett paid to collect birds in the 1880s. The first specimen of the cape pygmy owl was collected on one of Frazar's expeditions.[7]

Here's the cite:
Beolen, Bo; Watkins, Michael (2004), Whose Bird? Common Bird Names and the People They Commemorate, Yale University Press, pp. 123, 171, 307–308, ISBN 0-300-10359-X

I'm wondering if "an assistant to Frazar" is just a misinterpretation (whether by Beolen/Watkins or by a Wikipedist, I don't know) of "rendered invaluable aid" . A wikipedia reference to a secondary source, sigh...

Last edited:
Yep, Wikipedia error. Here's the entire relevant section of Beolen/Watkins:

Hoskins

Hoskins's Pygmy Owl Glaucidium hoskinsii Brewster, 1888
[ alt. Baja Pygmy Owl; Syn. Glaucidium gnoma hoskinsii ]

Franics Hoskins (DNF) of El Triumfo, Baja California, assisted Marston Abbott Frazar (q.v.), who was a paid bird collector for Sennett (q.v.). Frazar collected the owl holotype and requested that it be named after Hoskins.

The last line hints that Hoskins' help in obtaining the bird was only indirect, but it's still a secondary source.

Also, translating the relavant bits of your third link:

"In the early [eighteen-] eighties, the USian Francisco Hoskins, director of "El Progresso" [a firm financed by USians, with offices in nearby San Antonio, Baja California], assumed control of United Mines..." [and began selling its assets, over the objections of some of its shareholders. United ceased operations at an uncertain date, inaugurating an era in which foreigners dominated mining on the southern part of the peninsula]

So he'd be in town at about the right time. (I think Frazar made multiple expeditions, not sure of the dates or which one yielded this owl.)

Your link to the LA Herald shows that Progresso was still operating (major parts of) the local mining concession in 1903. So the hostile takeover of United wasn't just for purposes of selling off the company; Progresso took over the operation of the business and Hoskins was their man - he would have stayed around at least a few years (though we know his tenure ended before 1903).

Last edited:
Described by Brewster from a bird collected by Frazar is Viosca's Band-tailed Dove. Brewster said like hoskinsii that Frazar asked him to name it for James Viosca for his help. It was collected in Sierra de las Lagunas also. My question is why did Brewster give it a female Latin ending?

Last edited:
Described by Brewster from a bird collected by Frazar is Viosca's Band-tailed Dove. Brewster said like hoskinsii that Frazar asked him to name it for James Viosca for his help. It was collected in Sierra de las Lagunas also. My question is why did Brewster give it a female Latin ending?

You mean vioscae? Given that the guy's name ends in an a, he didn't have a lot of choice. Grammatical gender is not the same as biological gender, although they very often coincide.

I know that eg obamai exists, which implies a Latinisation of Obama to Obamaus - personally I think that is right ugly, going for obamae would have been much more elegant.

Keith

Sidetrack: Viosca's Band-tailed Dove

• the subspecies Patagioenas fasciata vioscae BREWSTER 1888 (here) as "Columba fasciata vioscæ":
To Mr. Viosca, United States Consul at La Paz, Lower California.
Today's HBW Alive Key:
vioscae
James Viosca (d. 1895) US Consul at La Paz, Baja California, Mexico 1882-1895 (subsp. Patagioenas fasciata).
T. S. Palmer, Condor 30, p.302:
Viosca, James.
Born in Florida; died, June, 1896.
Viosca was appointed from California as U. S. Consul at La Paz, Lower California, July 18, 1882. His son, James Viosca, Jr., was appointed Vice Consul, September 16, 1885, and served for several years as Acting Consul after his fathers’ death. The Consul assisted M. Abbott Frazar during a trip to Lower California and, at Frazars’ request, William Brewster named the Band-tailed Pigeon taken in May, 1887, in the Sierra de la Laguna, Columba fasciata vioscae in his honor, notwithstanding the fact that it was James Viosca, Jr., who accompanied Frazar on the expedition to the type locality.
I guess someone need to find out which Mr. Viosca, the Father or the Son, was on duty as US Consul in 1888 (or in 1887 when the type was collected)?

To me it look like it was aimed for the Son [who most likely was Santiago James Viosca, Jr. (1859–1911)]? I think "James Viosca" (Sr.) refers to Santiago (as in "St. James") James Viosca (1827–1895/6). If correct in this ... I simply don´t know. Either way, it might be worth something, even if I couldn't´t understand the full story.

Good luck on that one as well!
--

Last edited:
Mr Viosca Sr. or Jr. ....?

Short return to the Sidetrack (of this old Owl thread): Viosca's Band-tailed Dove, and ...

vioscae as in:
• the subspecies Patagioenas fasciata vioscae BREWSTER 1888 (OD in #7) ...

More info on the two Vioscas is to be read in "El Abolengo Blog" (2015) (here)

I guess the question remains: Which Mr. Viosca, the Father or the Son, was on duty as US Consul in 1888 (or in 1887 when the type was collected)?

Santiago "James" Viosca Senior? Or ditto Junior?

/B

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Viosca's Pigeon Patagioenas fasciata vioscae Brewster, 1888
[Alt. Band-tailed Pigeon]
James Viosca (d.1895) was appointed first as US Vice Consul (1877), then as US Consul at La Paz, Baja California, Mexico (1882-1895). The pigeon was named on Viosca's honour at the request of Marston Abbott Frazar (q.v.) who collected the type specimen, because Viosca 'has been most kind and helpful in furthering the success of Mr. Frazar's explorations.'

But agree to above comments. The son....

Santiago James Viosca, born 7 June 1859 in San Antonio, Baja California, Mexico d, 1911 in La Paz, Baja California, Mexico

But if for the father when was he born?

IN OD we also find:

At Mr. Frazar's request I have named this bird after Mr. Viosca, the U.S. Consul at La Paz, who has been most kind and helpful in furthering the success of Mr. Frazar's explorations.

Maybe it is time to solve the mystery who the real U.S. Consul at La Paz was. But apart from what Björn wrote above the father might have died 30. Jun 1895 (see here): My tendency is that the Pigeon was named for the father.

The type was collected:

(No. 14138, collection of W. Brewster, La Laguna, Lower California, May 3, 1887; M. Abbott Frazar)

Last edited:
James Viosca Snr was the US consul when he died on 30 June 1895 in La Paz according to his US probate. Thus there is no doubt the dedication is to him as his son was only vice-consul at the time. According to Jnrs widow's passport application he born in La Paz to American parents and hence had US citizenship. Several family websites are horribly confused due to the similarity in names:
Snr was born in Louisiana in 1827 and died in La Paz in 1895. And his first or given names were Jose Santiago.
Jnr was born 1859 died 1911 in La Paz.
To be specific

James Jose Santiago De VIOSCA SOLAR ANIVIA

Birth4 Jul 1827 New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Marriage14 Aug 1858 San Antonio, La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Death30 Jun 1895 La Paz, La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Record information.
FatherJoaquin VIOSCA (1800-1880)
MotherMaría Josefa Austreberta SOLAR ANIVIA (1799-1837)
SpousePilar Navarro

Son​

James Jose Santiago Antonio Roberto De VIOSCA NAVARRO(1859–1911)​

Birth 07 Jun 1859 • San Antonio, Baja California, Mexico​

Death​

05 Feb 1911 • La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico​

Last edited:
Back to the original intended topic of this thread:
Here´s some minor bits and pieces, that I stumbled upon, maybe useful (or not), regarding the obscure, very little-known eponym ...

hoskinsii as in:
• the debated species or subspecies Baja/Cape Pygmy-Owl Glaucidium (gnoma) hoskinsii BREWSTER 1888 (here) as "Glaucidium gnoma hoskinsii": Could this be aimed at Major Francis Hoskins a k a "Francisco Hoskins", superintendent/Director of United Mines ("Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California") in the (Silver and Gold) Mining town Triunfo (a k a "Triumfo"), Lower California (Baya California) ... ?

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Hoskins's Pygmy Owl Glaucidium hoskinsii Brewster, 1888 [Alt. Baja Pygmy Owl; Syn. Glaucidium gnoma hoskinsii]
Francis Hoskins (DNF) of El Triumfo, Baja California, assisted Marston Abbott Frazar (q.v.), who was a paid bird collector for Sennett (q.v.). Frazar collected the owl holotype and requested that it be named after Hoskins.

The Key to Scientific Names
Francis Hoskins (fl. 1887) US mine owner in Mexico, Director of El Progreso Mine, El Triunfo, and Chairman of Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California (Glaucidium).

Maybe it is now the time to get his life dates? From here I would suspect that he died 1892?

LA DECLINACIÓN DE LA MINERÍA EN EL SUR En 1892 , cambió la dirección de la empresa por la muerte del señor Hoskins y entró como superintendente el señor R. F. Grisby.

But when he was born is still unclear to me.

Last edited:
Name:Francis Hoskins (known as Francisco in Mexico)
Sex:Male
Event Place:Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
Event Place (Original):Mazatlán
Death Date:27 Dec 1891
Death Place:Mazatlán
Christening6 January 1841, St Agnes, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom
Son of Mine Engineer. I can see no evidence he was a Major. He was the majority owner of the company. The idea he was an assistant to Frazer is unfounded. His "assistance" was that he allowed Frazer onto land controlled by his company and the company provided logistics etc.

Para principios de los años ochenta, el estadounidense Francisco Hoskins, director de la empresa El Progreso, asumió el control de la Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
:oops: Wow! Thanks Paul, ... thus it looks like I did find the proper guy (back in 2017) :)

The alleged Title "Major" originated from/in Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXX, Number 257, 21 June 1903 (see link in post #1) [my blue bolds]:
GOLD AND SILVER MINES OF LOWER CALIFORNIA The Cradle of the Great Mining Industry on the Shores of the Pacific, Where the Precious Metals Were Obtained in the Days Before the Mission Fathers Came
[...]
... from a very valuable and conservative report made by the late H. O. Reinhardt during the Incumbency of Major Hoskins as the superintendent. ...

If true, is unknown to me (but I don't understand why they would report it in such a way if unfounded?) ... he could/might have been titled this way (far) prior to his Mining business in Mexico, who knows.

Remember that Abbott Frazar collected the type of 'Hoskin's Pigmy [sic] Owl' on the 10th of May 1887, and that Mexico was a turbulent Place in around the Mid-1800's (after the Mexican–American War). Also maybe worth considering is that the British title Major isn't/wasn't always used exactly the same way as in the US, and Mexico ...

Either way, also mentioned (in Spanish) in the third link (that Paul ended his post with) is the following:
(on p.135)

... Para principios de los años ochenta, el estadounidense Francisco Hoskins, director de la empresa El Progreso, asumió el control de la Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California, lo que lo puso en condiciones de enajenar paulatinamente varias de las posesiones de esta negociación, no obstante la protesta de algunos de los socios fundadores. 32 ...

32. Oficio de algunos socios de la Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California al jefe político del Territorio de la Baja California, 1 de enero de 1879, AHPLM, v. 147 bis, doc. 77, exp. 6. Oficio de Luis Mendoza, apoderado de Francisco Hoskins, al jefe político del Territorio de la Baja California, la Paz, Baja california, 2 de mayo de 1882, AHPLM, v. 172, doc. 163. Oficio de Antonio del Castillo al jefe político del Territorio de la Baja California, méxico, 8 de enero de 1883, AHPLM, idem.

And on p.160 (somewhat disturbing the concordance, peace and serenity!) we find:
Ámbitos de hegemonía de las empresas El Progreso y El Boleo

La compañía El Progreso, de capital norteamericano, se estableció en 1878 en el pueblo de El Triunfo, municipalidad de San Antonio, donde se dedicó a la extracción y beneficio de la plata. Dicha negociación era manejada por J. W. C. Maxwell, como presidente, H. M. A. Miller, como vicepresidente, y Geo Stacke, como secretario, todos ellos residentes en San Francisco, California. En la zona minera de El Triunfo radicaba un representante de los directivos, cargo que fue ocupado sucesivamente por Francisco Hosking [sic], R. F. Gribsby, Arturo C. Nahl y William H. Rocholl. 85

85. Escritura por la cual Arturo C. Nahl transfiere a William H. Rocholl las facultades como superintendente de la negociación minera El Progreso, La Paz, Baja California, 16 de mayo de 1912, AHPLM, Fomento, v. 211, exp. 9.
[The abbreviation "AHPLM" is most likely equal of: Archivo Histórico Pablo L. Martinez (Baja California Sur)]

I guess (or sure hope) that the latter "Hosking" was/is merely a typo?!? If about the same guy, of course ... my Spanish isn't the best (read: non-existing) ;)

However, I do (also/still) agree on the hesitation/question/doubt that "our guy", Francis ('Franscisco') Hoskins ever was an Assistant (whomever made such a claim?), but merely of great assistance (to Mr Frazar), simply allowing him to be there, helping him around, making Frazar's visit a bit easier.

In any case, at last, we've found him in full (... or very, very close to it). If he was one "of mine", which he (still) isn't, I'd keep him as:

Francis ('Francisco') Hoskins (1840/18411891), British Miner in Baja California, ... and onwards (as of what's already been told in this thread)

The only detail remaining (as far as I can tell) is if he was baptized/christened shortly after his Birth, or if it took them a week (or so) to organize it ...

I guess it all boils down to, if he was of/at the age of "51" (as in, very close to, or in his 51st year, alt. if he already had celebrated his 51st birthday) when he died, on the 27th of December 1891 ... ? Short time frame, not many days to dabble with.

Good luck finding the very last (tiny) missing piece (i.e. an exact Birth date).

Cheers

Björn

Last edited:
For a huge majority of English birth records, baptism date is all there is. These are often given as birth dates. Attached is all you will ever find I am afraid.

Attachments

• francis.JPG
    francis.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I guess you're right, Paul. The only trace that I could find of him (back in Cornwall, England) was this short line (from 1861):
Francis Hoskins, Son, U, 20,, Mineral Surveyor & mapper, St Agnes Cornwall

But that's all ...

By the way, now the (updated) Key to Scientific Names tells us:
hoskinsii
Francis Hoskins (1841-1891) US mine owner in Mexico, Director of El Progreso Mine, El Triunfo, and Chairman of Compañía Unida de Minas de la Baja California (Glaucidium).

I sure wonder why James kept him as an "US mine owner ..." ?

The mine itself certainly seems to have been US (i.e. in US possession), but Hoskins himself less so. At least not from the very start of his life.

In the Death record, in post #12 [again; an excellent find, Paul!] it clearly says:
... senōr Don Fransis̀co Hoskins ... originario de Cornwall en Inglaterra, ...

[incl. the names of his closest Family/relatives]

I'd call him Cornish, alt. English (or British, of course).

For what it's worth.

Björn

PS. I don't even think he was the actual "owner" of the Mexican mine, even if he ran it. At least not originally, from the start, alt. when he began to work there. Or?

Last edited:
Yes the family were unquestionably English - his London born wife Jane Mary Bailey had a girl Inez Edith born in San Francisco in 1883. She and her mother returned to England after Francis's death and lived comfortably for the rest of both their lives. Inez never married and died in 1972 in Staffordshire.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back