• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders and photographers (1 Viewer)

Blast, I've been rumbled.
How many times at the height of my obsession and when after many hours of patient stalking one those infinitely rare members of the divine order Lepidoptera, have I been foiled at the last moment by the crass intervention of a camera clicking dolt stumbling into the mis en scene, scaring away the pale ghost. The opportunity lost for ever.

I think I know your sister,the birding photographer, Diva Darkroom.

I think Vivian Darkbloom should be credited with giving an accurate "snap shot" of the socio-economic development of nature reserves and bird watching. When I started bird watching in the early 1970s few birdwatchers had telescopes and West German Zeiss and Leitz (Leica) binoculars were rare. I have witnessed the increased use and development of telescopes and the increased % use of "Alpha" binoculars. I also agree with the observation that, the number photographers visiting hides has increased significantly over the past three years. This may be evidence of the well known definition about the difference between men and boys being the price of their toys .
The nature of nature reserves has changed from the preserve of dedicated birders to "visitor attraction", hence the excellent catering facilities at Cley and at many other "honey pot reserves".
Simon Barnes has written a very appropriate article in the lastest edition of "Birds" the RSPB magazine regarding nature reserves which I commend to Vivian.
The answer is simple don't visit honeypots and if visiting North Norfolk try the coastal path where there are many locations where peaceful contemplation is easily obtained.

When I first visited Cley back in the fifties we had binoculars made from old toilet rolls, and used a lorgnette for long distance work.
If we saw a coot we gave it a tick and a gold star.
We ate black pudding and lugworm sarnies at the car-park cafe and drank tea out of old bait tins.
We were happy as kings and laughed till we were sick, and couldn't wait for the next weekend to go birding once again. We called ourselves the dip sticks and whose to say we were wrong.

Last edited:
When I first visited Cley back in the fifties we had binoculars made from old toilet rolls, and used a lorgnette for long distance work.
If we saw a coot we gave it a tick and a gold star.
We ate black pudding and lugworm sarnies at the car-park cafe and drank tea out of old bait tins.
We were happy as kings and laughed till we were sick, regurgitated chum, and couldn't wait for the next weekend to go birding once again. We called ourselves the dip sticks and whose to say we were wrong.
"And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you." :t: :-O

Ron

This thread and the others like it remind me a little of the dark mutterings and occasional spats in the 80's when scopes on tripods started becoming more common, causing much congestion in cramped hides.

This thread and the others like it remind me a little of the dark mutterings and occasional spats in the 80's when scopes on tripods started becoming more common, causing much congestion in cramped hides.

That's a very interesting point. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about tripods in hides for many years now.
So is it that people just want something to moan at, and choose the latest fad? or is it more a resistance to new technology and change?

OR, in the interests of fairness: these hides were designed and built for people to sit in peace and quiet observing wildlife. Then people started to half the capacity with tripods, and introduce loud, irritating man-made noises?

It would be interesting to speak to the person who commissioned the hide at the reserve originally, and get his/her views on the intended use of the hide. Was it built with a photographer's window for instance?

Last edited:
That's a very interesting point. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about tripods in hides for many years now.
So is it that people just want something to moan at, and choose the latest fad? or is it more a resistance to new technology and change?

I think a lot of us have become old farts!

I hope this thread continues for some time. Although I've been to London and Paris, it's only by hearing the natives converse that one gets the flavor of a place. Besides, the dialogue is as good as "Downton Abby" and "Upstairs Downstairs".;)

I've never been to the above believe everything i read on the internet or see on tv.

How I wish we could convert some "birders" to looking through a camera and snapping away instead of through the sights of a gun. The Mediterranean habit of shooting to collect species for their trophy cabinets !

Here in Greece there are now many Greek nationals who take great delight in photographing birds, a new concept from the shooting mentality that was once so great here. There are lots of fantastic pictures that are now adorning walls and being entered into competitions instead of depleting numbers of birds, don't knock it, tolerate it and think there are more birds than there would have been to watch.
Lets hope it spreads to Malta and Cyprus and ........

To finish off, my wife and I have visited Titchwell on several occasions and the last time found the behaviour of some of the "big Lens" brigade downright disgusting,we have not been since, I think a lot of it boils down to basic manners.
I have a so called big lens, a Tamron 200-500mm I hope I have not got in peoples way or caused offence. B :)

ColD

What exactly is that? Personally I would like something rather like a Lancaster's mid-upper gun turret, power-operated and with a fitting for slotting my enormous lens onto instead of guns. :-O:-O

John

Come one John.. you must have seen one!
You are sitting in the hide and you notice, usually pride of place in the centre of the hide, a dirty, smudged, and spider's web covered window, about knee height, that doesn't open. Underneath it very neatly are the words "Photographer's window". Thinking about it, I'm not sure if they were designed to encourage or discourage photographers.

Seems I struck a nerve with the photographers. Is perhaps the angry response prompted by guilt?
The realisation that as lapsed birders who have strayed from the narrow path, that the disruption that they inflict on other people is basically both anti-social and selfish.

I am a photographer and proud of it! Please let me know when I stopped being a birder? I have done and still do voluntary work for three bird related organisations which involves oceans of correspondence in any one year, I have never charged for postage which is my right to caim, my photographs have been used promoting species awareness and helped raise many thousands of pounds for charitable organisations (no doubt enabling the finance of the hides for the likes of you to sit in). My photographs have been used for several biodiversity organsations and extensively with educational organisations. When I have purchased telescopes, bins and camera gear etc I have always made a donation with any discount I have been able to make in the deal. I have encouraged rare breeding birds in my city, put up nest trays/boxes and guided scores of birders who have come to my city to see their target birds. When I have used hides (as a photographer) I have frequently given up my seat in the past to enable birders to view their target species. I submit records.

So in case my question is now forgotton please tell me when I stopped being birder? And what gives you the moral right to make an assumption about me or my ability or lack of ability (or of anyone else) should I choose to enter a hide in which you seem to think you have a right 'fee simple absolute in possesion' and should I be seeking your permission each time I want to make a click with my camera? I have earned my right but that is not the point. If folk pay their dues or entrance fee and choose to take pictures then they should be able to do so whether they are amateur or pro without feeling that their neighbour in the hide is feeling grumpy about it. The fact is we can choose to be grumpy or we can ride it. Time to grow up Vivian...try birding on an oil rig or near a working quarry... then you will understand peace.

I have been in two hides. One in Pine Bluff, Arkansas and one in Ostia, Italy. The combined time was about a half hour. I can't see why anybody would want to spend their birding time in one. Much too restrictive; you can't follow the birds. You might as well plant some good trees and shrubs, set up a bird feeder and bath in your yard and install a picture window. Vivian, maybe a bird walk would be more rewarding.

Last edited:
...try birding on an oil rig or near a working quarry... then you will understand peace.

Well I'm on an oil rig right now - the thing is, if there's a good bird about then the background racket just doesn't seem to matter that much!

Not that I'm recommending oil rigs as good birding locations...;)

Whenever I go into a hide there is always some sweaty fat little bearded ginger runt with a big lens (makes a change from a big car I suppose) and his mum hogging the same seat for hours on end.

Whenever I go into a hide there is always some sweaty fat little bearded ginger runt with a big lens (makes a change from a big car I suppose) and his mum hogging the same seat for hours on end.

Love it. So, question is Mike, if said sweaty, fat, ginger-bearded runt had a big scope rather than lens, would that make any difference? ;)

I'm fascinated in what it is that makes this guy memorable or unreasonable - is it his sweat, his demenour and fact that he's ginger, the fact that he and his mum sit in the hide for too long or could it just be some lens envy on your part? ;) Maybe because he has a camera, he is somehow not considered to be a true birder?

I must take more notice when I'm next in a hide rather than watch what's outside.

I have been in two hides. One in Pine Bluff, Arkansas and one in Ostia, Italy. The combined time was about a half hour. I can't see why anybody would want to spend their birding time in one. Much too restrictive; you can't follow the birds. You might as well plant some good trees and shrubs, set up a bird feeder and bath in your yard and install a picture window. Vivian, maybe a bird walk would be more rewarding.

Because you are hidden from the birds and so they will come closer. That's the theory anyway, of course it doesn't always work out. For general birding I agree, they can be restrictive. For photography, they are often essential.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back