• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (2 Viewers)

G1 kit zoom at distance

There are few waders left to see here and they tend to be a long way off at the high tide roost. These photos were take with the G1 and kit zoom on Wednesday this week at a distance of about 150 - 180 metres in hazy light.
Good enough for record purposes and the AF was reliable and fast despite the haze.
Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 and kit zoom lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
June 2009

Attachments

• whimbrel G1 sw45x_1460615.jpg
    whimbrel G1 sw45x_1460615.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 361
  • waders G1 sw45x_1460676.jpg
    waders G1 sw45x_1460676.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 404
  • waders G1 sw45x_1460662.jpg
    waders G1 sw45x_1460662.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 356
The new mirrorless hybrid dslr Olympus e-p1 micro 4/3 camera is getting a lot of previews at the moment. Looks disappointing though with no viewfinder of any sorts and a low res 3" lcd screen at only 230,000 dots.

Paul.

>Panasonic Lumix G1 and kit zoom lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and >DCA adapter

Hi Neil,

Have you been using the Swaro 45x eyepiece more frequently with your Panasonic Lumix G1? Have you found one setup you like the best when not knowing what your going to shoot for distance and light conditions?

Thanks,

I have been persevering with my G1 just lately and my results have improved (although not as much as I would like).Clearly looking at some of the shots on this thread the G1 is a good piece of kit.
I use a Kowa 823 and 32x lens.
I also have a nikon coolpix P6000.
The kittiwake, razorbill and pied wagtail were taken with the G1 and the herring gull was taken with my P6000.
It appears that myP6000 images are much sharper (which would suggest to me that the problem does not lie with the scope).
I'm not entirely certain that I have all the modes correctly set.Would anybody care to comment/provide some more information on autofocus settings etc?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Kit3.jpg
    Kit3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Raz2.jpg
    Raz2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 376
  • PW1.jpg
    PW1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 429
  • her2.jpg
    her2.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 500
>Panasonic Lumix G1 and kit zoom lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and >DCA adapter

Hi Neil,

Have you been using the Swaro 45x eyepiece more frequently with your Panasonic Lumix G1? Have you found one setup you like the best when not knowing what your going to shoot for distance and light conditions?

Thanks,

The 30x is my main eyepiece that I use with most cameras but with the G1 kit zoom it only gives me a range equivalent to around 1000 mm which is not really a digiscoping range . I will get better results with a 500/4 + D90/D3 + 1.4x . I always have the 45x with me and use it from the hides or where shooting at distance. I shoot a lot of herons/egrets ( very common here ) and so I prefer the 30x for this to leave some space around. It's not a choice based on light conditions as I can bump the iso up to 800/1600 if necessary.
I would prefer to have an AF 35mm lens with the zoom eyepiece to cover a wider range .
Neil.
Neil.

I have been persevering with my G1 just lately and my results have improved (although not as much as I would like).Clearly looking at some of the shots on this thread the G1 is a good piece of kit.
I use a Kowa 823 and 32x lens.
I also have a nikon coolpix P6000.
The kittiwake, razorbill and pied wagtail were taken with the G1 and the herring gull was taken with my P6000.
It appears that myP6000 images are much sharper (which would suggest to me that the problem does not lie with the scope).
I'm not entirely certain that I have all the modes correctly set.Would anybody care to comment/provide some more information on autofocus settings etc?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The kit zoom on the G1 is not sharper than the P6000 lens which gives excellent results, particularly at distance. If the subjects were all similar distance I would expect the P6000 to outperform. I still shoot both but I prefer the P6000 for distance and the G1 for moving subjects up to 30 metres.
The lighting looks harsh in the first 3 photos which has made it hard to expose for detail , whereas the last one is in overhead shade which tends to show detail better.
Were they all at similar distances?
Neil

Hi Neil

An interesting point that you make about the light.
I had gone specifically early in the morning for what I thought would be 'good' light, however my shutter speed was only 1/125th for the 3 shots with the G1 but the herring gull was 1/320 but later in the morning when the sun had got up (albeit in the shade).
The sea birds were all taken at about the same distance (20m) and the wagtail was at about 8m.
Do you think I would benefit significantly by using another lens?
Martin

The kit zoom on the G1 is not sharper than the P6000 lens which gives excellent results, particularly at distance. If the subjects were all similar distance I would expect the P6000 to outperform. I still shoot both but I prefer the P6000 for distance and the G1 for moving subjects up to 30 metres.
The lighting looks harsh in the first 3 photos which has made it hard to expose for detail , whereas the last one is in overhead shade which tends to show detail better.
Neil

Hi Neil

An interesting point that you make about the light.
I had gone specifically early in the morning for what I thought would be 'good' light, however my shutter speed was only 1/125th for the 3 shots with the G1 but the herring gull was 1/320 but later in the morning when the sun had got up (albeit in the shade).
The sea birds were all taken at about the same distance (20m) and the wagtail was at about 8m.
Do you think I would benefit significantly by using another lens?
Martin

Martin,
I am surprised your Shutter Speed in the sun was so low. I couldn't see your Exif info so I'm guessing that you were using a low iso and/or in P mode with the G1. Both will keep the shutter speed low.
My Default iso for the G1 is 400 , which is the highest that shows no Noise. If the bird is not movng ( eg my Yellow Bittern ) then I'm not too worried about the shutter speed, but normally bird's heads are usually moving a lot so speed is important.
Neil

The 30x is my main eyepiece that I use with most cameras but with the G1 kit zoom it only gives me a range equivalent to around 1000 mm which is not really a digiscoping range . I will get better results with a 500/4 + D90/D3 + 1.4x . I always have the 45x with me and use it from the hides or where shooting at distance. I shoot a lot of herons/egrets ( very common here ) and so I prefer the 30x for this to leave some space around. It's not a choice based on light conditions as I can bump the iso up to 800/1600 if necessary.
I would prefer to have an AF 35mm lens with the zoom eyepiece to cover a wider range .
Neil.
Neil.

I took a look at the demo Panasonic Lumix G1 today. I didn't feel like I was holding a "small DSLR", it was comfortable. It had a really nice solid feel to it.

See ya,

I was digiscoping waterlilys in the local park late yesterday when the local group of laughing thrushes came by. The waterlilys were in the sun and the thrushes were in overhead shade and moving by quickly and I had my iso at 200 and didn't have time to change it. I got about 6 frames off but this is the only one with a bird facing me. Shutter Speed was 1/100th second. I would never have got a shot with the P6000 as the AF is too slow and the 8400 would have been busy processing the first 5 frames when this bird turned around on the 6th frame.
Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 and kit zoom (17 mm ) on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong ,
China.
June 2009

Attachments

• masked l thrush G1_1510144.jpg
    masked l thrush G1_1510144.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 451
Hi Neil,

Last summer I used to digiscope in the back yard with the Nikon CP 8400 + Swarovski Scope. I used to setup tree branches tied to the feeder pole(s). When there was no bird activity I would digiscope the back yard flowers.

I was curious if you had a example of a digiscoped flower or insect like a bee taken with the Panasonic Lumix G1 and Swarovski Scope.

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

Last summer I used to digiscope in the back yard with the Nikon CP 8400 + Swarovski Scope. I used to setup tree branches tied to the feeder pole(s). When there was no bird activity I would digiscope the back yard flowers.

I was curious if you had a example of a digiscoped flower or insect like a bee taken with the Panasonic Lumix G1 and Swarovski Scope.

Thanks!

Yellowbudgie,
I do the same. Particularly when in the local park as I love the waterlilies and they're hard to get to with a macro lens. I've been testing some of my old telephoto lenses with the G1. The Waterlilies are with the scope though and the dragonfly lens only.
Neil

Attachments

• waterlily G1_1510121.jpg
    waterlily G1_1510121.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 166
  • waterlily_DSC0587.jpg
    waterlily_DSC0587.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 222
  • dragonfly G1 hass350mm lens_1500268.jpg
    dragonfly G1 hass350mm lens_1500268.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Yellowbudgie,
I do the same. Particularly when in the local park as I love the waterlilies and they're hard to get to with a macro lens. I've been testing some of my old telephoto lenses with the G1. The Waterlilies are with the scope though and the dragonfly lens only.
Neil

Hi Neil,

The photos of the Waterlilies have great detail. It's nice to have plenty of subjects for bonus photos if your in one spot.

That's great you can use some of your older lenses with the Lumix G1, being the brains for the lenses. The Lumix G1 may give some people the chance to buy nice 2nd hand lenses.

Thanks,

Nice pictures! Sorry for being lazy and ignorant but I have two short questions that might have been explained in this thread :)

I have the ats65hd swaro scope and 20-60x zoom eyepiece. Will this eyepiece make digiscoping harder or will it still work?

Second question, I notice you use the G1 instead of a cheaper camera like ixus. Is the difference huge and in what areas?
Thanks.

Compatability of GI with Kowa 603 Angled scope and 30x WA eyepeice

Hi Neil I have read with interest your posts regarding the Panasonic G1 camera. I have a Kowa 603 Angled Spotting Scope with a 30X WA eyepiece. I have been digiscoping with my old Panasonic FZ5 camera for a year or so. There is lots of vignetting, but at lowest zoom and darkest light setting I can get the record to crop into a photo. Not award winning photography by any stretch, but better than using the limit on the optical and digital zoom on the FZ5 for Bird ID.
My FZ5 came to an unfortunate demise yesterday and is not likely to recover. I have been interested in the Panasonic G1 but did not realize until today that it has digiscoping capabilities like you have demonstrated. Question, if the Kowa 30X WA eyepiece is not going to give satisfaction with the Kowa 700 and 800 mm scopes that people have tried it with, could I assume that it would also be unsatisfactory on my 600m scope for digiscoping with the G1 camera. I'm not a physicist and don't understand the optical stuff. Would the 25X LER eyepiece give satisfaction with my Kowa 603 Angled Scope and a G1 camera?

Is there any other camera that might give reasonable digiscoping results with my current Kowa scope and eyepiece?

Thanks if you can advise

Kris Andrews
British Columbia, Canada.

Neil

Hi Kris,

The G1 + lens is really too big to hang off the Kowa 603 even you could get it to work. It will weigh more than the scope! I recommend the Panasonic FX150 + DA4 adapter option.

cheers,
Rick

Hi Neil I have read with interest your posts regarding the Panasonic G1 camera. I have a Kowa 603 Angled Spotting Scope with a 30X WA eyepiece. I have been digiscoping with my old Panasonic FZ5 camera for a year or so. There is lots of vignetting, but at lowest zoom and darkest light setting I can get the record to crop into a photo. Not award winning photography by any stretch, but better than using the limit on the optical and digital zoom on the FZ5 for Bird ID.
My FZ5 came to an unfortunate demise yesterday and is not likely to recover. I have been interested in the Panasonic G1 but did not realize until today that it has digiscoping capabilities like you have demonstrated. Question, if the Kowa 30X WA eyepiece is not going to give satisfaction with the Kowa 700 and 800 mm scopes that people have tried it with, could I assume that it would also be unsatisfactory on my 600m scope for digiscoping with the G1 camera. I'm not a physicist and don't understand the optical stuff. Would the 25X LER eyepiece give satisfaction with my Kowa 603 Angled Scope and a G1 camera?

Is there any other camera that might give reasonable digiscoping results with my current Kowa scope and eyepiece?

Thanks if you can advise

Kris Andrews
British Columbia, Canada.

Kris,
Almost all short zoom digicams will give good results digiscoping these days. It just depends on how you can connect them up to the scope although there are still people get good results hand holding up to the eyepiece ( just pad out the rubber eyecup with a cardboard roll until you get a snug fit with the camera lens ).
The G1 should work ok with your 30x eyepiece ( any eyepiece with good FOV and at least 18 mm of ER will be ok ), but as Rick mentioned weight could be a problem. Less with an angled scope but it should be tested out.
Otherwise the Nikon P6000 gives excellent results with good AF but best with a third party adapter giving 52 mm ( Nikon UR E21 is only 43 mm ).
Neil.

Nice pictures! Sorry for being lazy and ignorant but I have two short questions that might have been explained in this thread :)

I have the ats65hd swaro scope and 20-60x zoom eyepiece. Will this eyepiece make digiscoping harder or will it still work?

Second question, I notice you use the G1 instead of a cheaper camera like ixus. Is the difference huge and in what areas?
Thanks.

Kristoffer,
The G1 is an electronic DSLR so operates fast and the benefit or RAW in Continuous Mode, and high iso with no/little noise. It's Auto Focus is very fast with it's own kit lens. Unfortunately this won't work well with the 20-60 zoom without vignetting so we are all waiting for a prime lens for it. If you have an old 30 mm or longer lens it will work with the zoom eyepiece with an adapter. I have Nikon /Olympus/Leica/Hasselblad adapter but of course manual focus.
The Nikon P6000 with third party adapter (52 mm ) will work well with the zoom or P5100 or Canon A590IS if you can find one. Most short zoom digicams (35 -105 mm lens ) will work ok with the zoom eyepiece too.
Neil

Swaro 20x?

Hi Niel,

I'd be interested to know if the G1 and kit lens works with no vignetting on the Swaro 20x fixed eyepiece please?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Niel,

I'd be interested to know if the G1 and kit lens works with no vignetting on the Swaro 20x fixed eyepiece please?

Many thanks

Steve

Steve,
With my setup the vignetting is worse with the 20x as it's Eye Relief is shorter than the other eyepieces. I'm using the DCA Zoom with the fixed eyepieces. It needs a fixed lens. I'm in Sydney at the moment and don't have the test results with me to check how bad it is though.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back