• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bacon fat - cooked or raw? Advice please (2 Viewers)

Thelma W.

I have never been particularly fond of bacon but my husband loves it. As we are both watching cholesterol levels, the fat is now cut off, and I have been saving it in the freezer, to give to the birds when it gets colder.

What I am not sure about is whether I can put it out raw, or should I cook, drain the fat off, and put both out as there is usually some flesh and stringy bits? I would chop it up of course! I have used the cooked fat before, in bird puddings. I don't use salty bacon by the way.

Thelma W. said:
I have never been particularly fond of bacon but my husband loves it. As we are both watching cholesterol levels, the fat is now cut off, and I have been saving it in the freezer, to give to the birds when it gets colder.

What I am not sure about is whether I can put it out raw, or should I cook, drain the fat off, and put both out as there is usually some flesh and stringy bits? I would chop it up of course! I have used the cooked fat before, in bird puddings. I don't use salty bacon by the way.

Raw cut small is best.

You can put it out raw or cooked, I put it out raw because it's more convenient that way (I cut the bacon into strips to fill jacket potatoes rather than frying the whole rind so I cut the fat of before cooking it).

Hi Thelma,

Whenever I've had any I've always put it out raw as it was done so much for the Bluetits when I was young.

Sue

Thank you all. I felt raw was more natural, after all no-one cooks for them in the wild do they?

I understand our weather is the result of Hurricane Wilma this morning, and I have seen birds that haven't been around for ages. As I was feeling a bit bereft, it was nice to see them. The starlings came in force, raiding the fat block, so I better get cracking with the bacon fat!

Thelma W. said:
I understand our weather is the result of Hurricane Wilma this morning. The starlings came in force, raiding the fat block, so I better get cracking with the bacon fat!

Wilma's still blowing a hurricane round here as I write Thelma!

Still, a good lot of Birds around all day though, despite the torrential rain this morning. Those Birds'll soon be needing that fat too. Best wishes,

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back