• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A look at the Viper 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Steve C

There was one of these at the Sportsman's show too. The biggest impression I had about this is that it looks to have a better, brighter image than the Viper 8x42's in the same booth. The 8x32 was new, and the dealer had had the 42's for a little while, so are likely not new production. So this begs the question of are there any glass upgrades incorporated in the Viper line?

This looks likea 3/4 scale model of the 42 series. It is a neat looking instrument and feels superb in the hand. If I didn't have the Swift 7x36 already, and if I was more in the market for a compact glass this would be on the short list.

Lacking better opportunity for review, I'll just say I liked what I saw.

Hmm, brighter than the 42 mm? I find that interesting. Do you think it could have been the result of possibly better sharpness, contrast or the type of color bias?

Hmm, brighter than the 42 mm? I find that interesting. Do you think it could have been the result of possibly better sharpness, contrast or the type of color bias?

I'd say there is a more neutral color bias in the 32mm, so that might be it.

Hmm, again, interesting. I have not handled a 42 mm Viper in a few years but I seem to remember their being relatively neutral in color representation. If they were a bit blue-green and then the 32 mm are truly more neutral then that definitely would explain it.

Newer coatings too might improve transmission.

Chinese AR and PC and even decent mirror coatings have got better in the last couple of years (see Chinese EDs).

Plus going from having a color bias (i.e. reduce tranmission of some part of the spectrum) will make them less bright than not removing any color (neutral).

Newer coatings too might improve transmission.

I had not thought of that. I just assumed they would use the same glass and coating as that found in the 42 mm Viper. However, if they were going to improve the coatings on the Diamondbacks then why not the Vipers as well.

I had not thought of that. I just assumed they would use the same glass and coating as that found in the 42 mm Viper. However, if they were going to improve the coatings on the Diamondbacks then why not the Vipers as well.

That was my exact thought, but Vortex makes a big deal out of the improved Diamondback coatings, but not peep number 1 about anything different with the Viper.

Kevin mentions Chinese coatings, but the Viper is Japanese.

Last edited:
That was my exact thought, but Vortex makes a big deal out of the improved Diamondback coatings, but not peep number 1 about anything different with the Viper.

Kevin mentions Chinese coatings, but the Viper is Japanese.

A slip of the brain. I meant that coatings (particularly Chinese ones) have moved on in the past coupe of years.

It could be that the Japanese OEM is using the same coatings as before.

But the Diamondbacks are Chinese and should have bumped their coatings. Their AR coating wasn't that great (bluish color bias and you can see ghosts images frombright sources more easily with that bin than other's I've used)

These have my attention! I originally sold my Leupold 8x42 Pinnacles for the 8x42 Vipers. But, after using the Vipers for awhile sold them because I didn't think they had the center field sharpness as the Pinnacles? I originally wanted to get the Pentax DCF ED's 8x32. I already had the 10x43 ED's and was sold on them!!! So if the new Viper's have improved coatings? I wonder how they compare to the Pentax DCF SP 8x32? I have a cherry SP 8x32! Bryce...

The 8x42 Vipers have been as sharp in the middle for me as any 8x. Of course, I only had them for a month. Your Pentax ED 8x32..hmm, which one do you have?...should be quite similar.

Tero, I don't have the Pentax DCF ED 8x32, it's an SP! I do have a 10x43 DCF ED though. Not cutting the Vipers down but, to my eye's and I had 2pr of Pinnacles, the original and the newer one with the added coatings, "L" I believe? The older binocular was indeed sharper in the center! I like the Viper, that's why if they have improved it, the 8x32 I'm very interested? Bryce...

Tero, I don't have the Pentax DCF ED 8x32, it's an SP! I do have a 10x43 DCF ED though. Not cutting the Vipers down but, to my eye's and I had 2pr of Pinnacles, the original and the newer one with the added coatings, "L" I believe? The older binocular was indeed sharper in the center! I like the Viper, that's why if they have improved it, the 8x32 I'm very interested? Bryce...

It's always difficult to tell if this is a real effect. For example I have a Pentax WP 8x32 that is consistently "sharper" in the center field (many tests so I now believe this is real) than my more expensive Pentax SP 8x32. The coatings are newer on the latter (and color bias is more neutral on the latter).

But the problem is I only have one of each of these bins.

So is this a "cherry" WP and an "average" SP? i.e. is this just manufacturing variation?

Or did something else change (aberration perhaps?) with the redesign?

I have no way of knowing. And you have a similar sort of problem too.

One reason why getting multiple people to review bins, and compare them against multiple other bins, is a good idea. Even when we don't agree (e.g. the current ZRS review) I think we reveal something even though it can be rather confusing.

Well, I don't know whether or not this deserves a new post, but since it came up here, I'll keep it here.

The XD glass Vortex uses does indeed have an Abbe number greater than 90, making it a true ED glass. The reason the Razor has better color and fringing control is because the Razor has longer focal lengths and ED works better with longer focal lengths than the Viper has in its much shorter design.

The guy I talked to said it was his impression that the coatings may have indeed improved, there may have been some coating upgrades done by the factory as would be expected in the normal course of operation, but Vortex did not specify any particular change in the coatings on the Viper. As long as the changes do not degrade the product, Vortex likely would be fine with it.

FWIW.

Thanks for the update, Steve. I can't see why they won't use a standard term like ED in their description of the bins even if they want to call their glass XD. Just dropping the E is confusing!

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex-viper-6x32-binocular said:
XD (Xtra-low Dispersion) glass objective lens elements of extra-low dispersion glass enhance image resolution—carefully selected and precision-crafted to exacting standards for true-to-life images of startling clarity and color accuracy.

I see they're listed as in stock at EO for $479

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-viper-6x32-binocular

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-viper-8x32-binocular

Last edited:
I have given up trying to understand marketers. All I can say is what I see they do that apparently works...well it's beyond me. Here they seem to have gotten into an X marks the spot sort of deal. XD Glass, XR coatings, XD engineering. Three X's in a row, they win! Call it whatever they want, but why not just say it is a true ED glass somewhere in the copy?

Hmm, the comments about focal length and proper use of ED glass have me intrigued. Can someone explain why more compact binoculars, such as the 8x32 FL, are able to control CA so effectively while an 8x42 Viper does not fair quite as well? Is this an issue with the objective diameter in relation to the magnification or something else?

XD Glass, XR coatings, XD engineering. Three X's in a row, they win! Call it whatever they want, but why not just say it is a true ED glass somewhere in the copy?
I'd like to see something more concrete, as well.
I know my DLS is ranked higher by Vortex than the Viper. XHR(extremely high resolution:eek!:), 99/100, and all that crap.
It's more color neutral, but doesn't have the sharpness or contrast of my Pentax ED.
I don't have any complaints about the view through either, just sayin'...marketing hype doesn't do much for me.

I have to agree about using standard terminology. Case in point, I have been quite involved with other hobbies, such as competitive archery. In that sport the manufacturers often compete to create faster and faster, shootable bows. However, they still have to rate the bows based on a specific measurable standard.

It would be nice if we had something like that to fall back on when it came to something like ED glass. I know Henry and some others have been kind enough to explain ED glass in depth. I would love to see some of the manufacturers follow through along that line of thought.

Any reviews on the 6x or 8x 32 vipers?.............I'm getting anxious..........turkey season is getting close................red

Nothing I have seen at this point. I have a feeling that a few select individuals got to handle some demo/prototype units but nothing really yet for the general public.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back