• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics revamp their web site (1 Viewer)

I was just looking over the new Eagle Optics website. I finally noticed there was a sort by best selling button. Yeah I know, I'm probably the last person here to figure that out. ;) But after using it a little, I noticed something interesting. Every manufacturer who sells both porro and roof prism binoculars has more porro prism glass in their top ten sellers than roofs.

I think this is solely a price consideration, as when the manufacturer, like Vortex, has no porros, the cheap ones are at the top. However, it does seem to run counter to the oft heard comment that "porro prism binoculars don't sell". It seems to me to say yes they will, particularly when the 6x and then the 8x Yosemite are the top selling thing listed for Leupold. I think that is largely a quality vs price thing that the Yosemite just about whacks all comers.

Hmm Steve, interesting observation. I think I am going to give that one a try myself. As you commented on it is probably because of the price issue. But you have to somewhat consider that folks must be reasonably pleased with the porros' optical performance at that price point in addition to the less expensive price point.

I know the Vortex guys laughed at it but I seriously wonder what they could come up with if they put some effort to an Internal Focus porro design in multiple configurations and a moderate to large field of view. As always I think they would have the market cornered.

I think I need to edit the above post a bit. I had not looked at Pentax, and they have only one porro in thier top sellers. The more porros should probably be a "number of porros in their best sellers". What I did earlier was too quick of a look. Oops. But the basic point seems to remain.

You can't sort by size or magnification anymore. Makes it tougher to do comparisons. Or even find comparisons, for that matter.
Bob

I did tinker with it a bit more and left a few more reviews but I haven't seen any of them actually become "Active" at this point.

I have deleted my previous post relating to "specifications" because it was wrong, but I still have a bit of a problem with what I see as the confusing method of getting information on the specifications and the description of the binocular.

As an example, sometimes the Specification section appears first and may not disclose if a roof prism binocular is phase coated. Then if you go to the Description section you MAY or MAY NOT find out if it is phase coated. Other times the Description section pops up first, with a partial statement of the specifications. In short, the Specifications sections too often don't contain ALL the specs. I think the 2 sections should be merged into one, if possible.
Bob

Last edited:
Ok Bob, you are giving me a headache just thinking about trying to use the search feature. Is it really that bad?

I will have to give it a go when I get to work tomorrow.

No, it is manageable, Frank. But the old site was more efficient in dispersing information relating to the binocular's stats. You now have to make a couple of more clicks in order to get all the pertinent info and sometimes you forget to do this. And, as I noted before, alot of Roof Prisms do not have info on whether they are phase coated or not.
Bob

That last part could be an issue. However, realistically, how many roof prism bins over $150 aren't phase coated at this point?

Yes, I guess so. If you really need to confirm it you can always go to the manufacturer's web site or ask the sales person. But, then again, they are a phone/mail/e-mail order dealer and they can save time by having this info in the spec description.
Bob

No argument there.

Related to that issue, I love buying from Doug at Cameralandny but I always hate the fact that the listing on there for any given bin don't have all of the specs listed. Though I feel pretty familiar with most of the bins he sells it is nice to have the specs there for a point of reference.

A month on and I think they just did a minor tweak on the "front page" (the root page of their site).

http://www.eagleoptics.com/

They added the hot deals banner below the title banner and have fewer "featured products". I think ... I don't recall it looking like this a couple of days ago.

They have also added (in addition to all hot deals ... which was too many for me) a spotting scope and a binocular specific hot deals pages

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars?specials=hot-deals
http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes?specials=hot-deals

And they have made their eBay store a bit more prominent on the front page.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back