• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some advice would be gratefully received. (1 Viewer)

Bill Payer

I've had a pair of Pentax 12 x 50 PCF Binos for fifteen years and they have provided sterling service, however I would like to 'push the boat out' a bit and get something with a bit more finesse.

A new pair would need to be suitable for general wildlife observation and also looking at aircraft. My bird and wildlife observation is fairly casual and I don't spend time in hides at reserves or out in all weathers on moor or marsh. I'm fortunate to have access to nearby farmland and will spend an hour or two out there. At other times I'll be happy watching Buzzards and Kites from the back garden. If there are no birds about, passing aircraft will do. Many aircraft will be 'trailing' and therefore be above about 30,000ft, that's five to six miles away if they are directly overhead. I hope that the above will be a starting point for anyone who is kind enough to put fingers to keyboard.

Some considerable time ago I had a brief look through a pair of Swarovskis which I think were 8 x 32s. I recall being impressed with the quality but I'm not sure that I would want to meet the hefty price tag. Zeiss seem to have a good reputation and I think that they would probably be more in my price range, but I wouldn't entirely rule out the Swarovskis if they seemed to be a good investment.

As you've probably already divined, my knowledge is somewhat limited, for instance, arithmetically speaking, a 12x magnification lens should give a 50% larger image than an 8x. I know that things don't always work like that, so am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks.

Last edited:
. Hi Bill,
what about a Canon 10×30 or 12×36 MK II image stabilised binocular.
I often use the Canon 18×50 image stabilised for aircraft and the resolution is phenomenal. One can see individual windows at perhaps two or 3 miles distance.
I often also use a 10×25 Docter during bright daylight and even this gives wonderful views of aircraft at about 35,000 feet. The colours of the aircraft markings can be spectacular even in this small binocular.

In fact, even with unaided eyes it is easy to see the difference between a Boeing 747, Airbus 380 and a 340 by the separation of the four contrails. If there are three it is often a DC 10 derivative or maybe a Boeing 727.

I have often used a 3 inch astronomical refractor with either a terrestrial eyepiece or micrometre eyepiece to follow highflying aircraft up to well over 200 miles distance.
To find the maximum distance visible one multiplies the height in feet by 1.5 times and takes the square root which gives the distance in miles or to account for atmospheric refraction the multiplier is about 1.7 times when in fact one is seeing the aircraft beyond the normal horizon.
In the same way the sun is actually below the horizon when we see it on the horizon because of atmospheric refraction which is sometimes anomalous and can in fact be more than the normal 0.5° of dip below the geometric horizon.

Of course, one can also use the Canon 10×30 or 12×36 for birdwatching but they're not waterproof and I would not buy a second-hand one.

Hope this helps.

. Hi Bill,
what about a Canon 10×30 or 12×36 MK II image stabilised binocular.
I often use the Canon 18×50 image stabilised for aircraft and the resolution is phenomenal. One can see individual windows at perhaps two or 3 miles distance.
I often also use a 10×25 Docter during bright daylight and even this gives wonderful views of aircraft at about 35,000 feet. The colours of the aircraft markings can be spectacular even in this small binocular.

In fact, even with unaided eyes it is easy to see the difference between a Boeing 747, Airbus 380 and a 340 by the separation of the four contrails. If there are three it is often a DC 10 derivative or maybe a Boeing 727.

I have often used a 3 inch astronomical refractor with either a terrestrial eyepiece or micrometre eyepiece to follow highflying aircraft up to well over 200 miles distance.
To find the maximum distance visible one multiplies the height in feet by 1.5 times and takes the square root which gives the distance in miles or to account for atmospheric refraction the multiplier is about 1.7 times when in fact one is seeing the aircraft beyond the normal horizon.
In the same way the sun is actually below the horizon when we see it on the horizon because of atmospheric refraction which is sometimes anomalous and can in fact be more than the normal 0.5° of dip below the geometric horizon.

Of course, one can also use the Canon 10×30 or 12×36 for birdwatching but they're not waterproof and I would not buy a second-hand one.

Hope this helps.

My word, there's some food for thought there!

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post, I'm very grateful to you. I'll do some research based on your suggestions.

Thanks again,

B-P

I have used a 12x50 a lot, and 12x is really a trip. But I don't think it shows much more than 10x really. I'm talking 10x up partly because there are some very nice 10x out there for reasonable prices. Check out a 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD if you can go $1000. It is waterproof but so are most roof prism binoculars. It is much more compact than your present binocular, with an excellent view almost at the top of the heap and nice build quality. I think you'd have to spend twice its price to beat it.

Ron

Bill,

I too like a 12x but in my hands probably three quarters of the models I've tried show me no more detail than my 7x. I just got lucky and found one where the weight and balance worked for me.

There are far more 8x and 10x choices out there and a most you'll find discussed on the forum somewhere. Certainly the Zeiss Conquest HD is the flavour of the month here in the sub alpha class, but I'd prefer something like the Kowa 10.5x44 or Vortex Razor HD 10x50 for example to replace my 12x50.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
ronh, typo and perterra...

Thank you kindly for your thoughts. The phrases 'spoiled for choice' and 'kid in a sweetshop' spring to mind.

I'll embark upon a filtering exercise and try to narrow down my options, or perhaps optics!

Thanks again.:t:

B-P

I'm no expert (by any means) but I was just convinced by forum members to purchase a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32, and I'll never go back. For $2,000, they ought to last me for the next 10-15 years (no joke). That's one heck of an investment when you consider that you can pay $26,000 for a car that depreciates by about half over four or five years. ;)

Hi Bill Payer,

If you can hoist a Pentax 12x50 for more than a decade it does away with the main objection to the various Canon IS models, that they are heavy and clunky.
While I share your appreciation for the 12x50 combo of power and light, (I came to the Canon to replace my long serving Docter 12x50BGA) Canon does not offer that specification.
At present, the 10x42ISL is the best Canon alternative available, better optically and structurally than the 12x36 or the 15x50 designs that Canon also offers.
Image stabilization really is a game changer for binoculars, at least imho.
It makes so much easier to pick out detail on warblers flitting between the leaves in the tree tops or on birds in flight. However, the birding community is conservative and has never really warmed up to this clearly superior product. Canon's niggardly 1 year warranty and non existent marketing are part of the reason, along with misperceptions such as that the binoculars would cease to work if the batteries run out. The stabilization does stop when there is no power, but the glass is still good without it.
I've been very happy with the Canon 10x42ISL, rugged (thus far 6 years flawless service, in the tropics and in the north), waterproof, superbly bright and sharp, thanks to great glass and Canon's L grade optics.
Kimmo Absetz's view is that this is the best birding binocular currently available, which is why he carries one. His more nuanced appraisal is posted here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=248876

Whatever glass you eventually choose, birding is a wonderful hobby, no matter what you carry. So enjoy!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back