• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Tail of Three Vixens! (1 Viewer)

bluespiderweb

Great Grey Looking Out
Sorry to possibly disappoint, but, yes that is a bit poetic license on my part. Tale is the word that should have been used more precisely, about three Vixen Foresta binoculars that I have recently had the pleasure of viewing through. Two are still with me, and I don't know how I cannot keep both, at this point in time.

I first ordered an 8x30 Vixen Foresta porro recently from BHphoto.com in NY, and when I got it (not in stock-dropshipped from MrStarGuy-Vixen USA's Distrubuter now), I was really impressed with the clear, bright, big view it had, without glasses. If I put on my sunglasses, the field of view was cut off, as it is with many bins. Without the use or need of glasses, with the naked eye, the view is impressive-no claustrophobia from this view. They are a tad heavy, for a more compact size like most 8x30's, but the eyecups were comfortable (though large diameter), and the mechanics and build quality all were excellent, from a new bin perspective, though without long term stats, of course.

But then I thought, that maybe an 8x30 might not be my best choice, given the weight of the Forestas-that possibly the 8x42's would serve even better, especially since the eyecups were not as recessed as the 30's (thank you to the Birdforum member who mentioned this in another post about them!), and the weight of the 42's were only a few ounces more, if that.

So I ordered the 8x42's from B&H Photo again, (best price I could find on them anywhere) to see if I would prefer them to the '30's. And sure enough, when I got the 8x42 Foresta's, they immediately were my favorite bin that I had tried as yet, in my limited financial and time spent in knowing newer binocular refinements over the short time I had spent with any in the last year or so. This, after not having any real binoculars for more than 40 years (except for a tiny, cheap compact in all that time), until I found Birdforum a little over a year ago and found my way to my first purchase of Zen-Ray Vistas in 8x42-my re-introduction to modern full sized roof bins, after only knowing Bushnell 8x30 Sportview cf's from the mid to late 60's) when I was a teen.

Since then, I bought first after the Zen-Rays, an Eagle Optics 6.5x32 Raptor porro, that really impressed me with the 3D view and sharpness. Then in a closeout deal from EO (I now know many of you have found these closeouts irresistible over the years), an Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 roof, that is still my favorite for a compact travel and woods bin. Which lead me naturally more recently, to try out the Meopta MeoPro 6.5x32, and haven't been able to say goodbye to them since either.

Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of my short experiences with modern bins since my reintroduction to them a little over a year ago. So, this won't be an in depth review, as some are apt to provide-I'm a more fly by the seat of my pants guy, per my limitations, no doubt, but I hope it might give you an idea of what these Vixens might be like, at least to some who really like porros, as do I.

OK, so here are the main points: I sent the 8x30's back, since the 8x42's did everything better (no fussy focus-as to more depth of focus in the field of view in the x42's), and a bit larger sweet spot to my eyes, along with much better eye relief, and a bit more brightness. The only thing I gave up was compactness, which really isn't an issue for me, as their weight is nearly the same in practical terms. I am really impressed with the Vixen Foresta 8x42 porros, and will probably never sell them unless I hit the lottery or someone wills me an alpha (not likely).

Just to complicate matters I decided to add another to the mix, also a Vixen I had been considering, and not ordering-the previous Foresta 8x42 model, from Televue.com, which had been on closeout for some time now (with no return privilege unless defective). These are the ones that share the same body as the Swift Audubon 820 rubber armored bins, though the Vixens seem a bit more refined as to texture, at the least, and differ in price about $60-$100 depending on source, with the Swift's being more. The main difference between the older Forestas and the newer ones is that they were made in Japan before, now China, and had a Magnesium body instead of Aluminum, and had a wider FOV, as advertised, at 8.8 degrees, instead of 7.5 for the newer 8x42's. As my mortality pursues me (midway past 60 now), I decided to just go ahead and take the chance on what I had seen and read about Vixens in general-pretty much specs and merit alone-and wow, am I glad I did!

At first, I thought they were a bit more particular and fussy about focus, etc, just looking out my back picture window-double glazed, often not very clean outside (not easy to maintain in an apartment on the 2nd floor). But then I took them to the field the other day, and bam! It hit me almost immediately-these were designed with just this in mind-mixed open and closer outdoor use-easy to track any flying bird, sharpness and good contrast in most good lighting situations. Boy, was I happy I had taken them out for a spin! What a difference that can make, I now know. I had seen some CA on a highly overcast day at home, looking out at the tree branches against the open sky from indoors. More than the new Foresta 8x42's, I will add, but in the field in good light (not overcast), I saw none there, even looking toward the glare of the Western setting sun.

Also, the barrels are a bit bigger on the older Foresta, as they appear on the Swift Audubons, though I did measure the Vixens, the they are indeed '42's, not '44's. And, I found out that the older Forestas have cheaper slide out eyecups (not described well on the Televue website), not twist out as the norm now. But no matter-they will stay in the closed position for me, since the eye relief is less on the older Forestas. Fine if you are not wearing glasses or sunglasses, but a challenge otherwise, with the eyecups down. You won't see the whole field of view if you do use glasses.

But, the main thing here that I discovered, is that these older Foresta 8x42's really perform in the real world! I was delighted with them in the great outdoors-great wide view, crisp, contrasty images, and the focuser was so easy, just like the newer Foresta 8x42-no sluggishness or stickiness. I would imagine them both to be year round performers, no matter the temperatures. I could follow Barn Swallows easily in their acrobatic flights, until I got a bit dizzy from how long I was watching them! Wide field sure does help in following such birds, and also helps spot others coming into view where some other bins may fall short because of a constricted field of view. They also gave me a great view of the closer tree line, and what birds showed themselves there or nearabout the close views as well. But gaw, what a great view for long range! Foreground to horizon-just an easy-peasy view at your fingertips. It so helps to test bins in the real world-not just on targets or familiar outside locations from indoors, it would seem.

So, thank you Vixen, for some really nice choices in modern "waterproof" bins! I really like the rubber outside body coatings too-comfortable to hold and tactile, no-slip finishes. And thank you Birdforum members who have given other info on these in the past. I hope my new reflections on these might inspire others to seek them out as well. There is something special here-that's easy for me to see now that they are in hand.

Good weather, good binoculars, and a quiet place to be, for all who wish it!

Be well,
Barry

Last edited:
Hello bluespiderweb. Glad to hear that the foresta porros worked out for you. I've found the current models to be a very good range, especially for the money. For me, the 8x32 just barely has enough effective eye relief to work with my glasses, but I can understand how these might be more challenging for other eyeglass wearers. I actually tend to use the 8x32's more than the 8x42's because of the compactness, but it's nice to have both. I am a bit curious about the older 8x42's. The only thing that's kept me from trying them has been the 15mm eye relief. Did you find the effective eye relief of the old 8x42's to be similar to or less than the 8x32's?

Hi peatmoss, I wish I could answer that better, since I can't compare them both directly now-I already sent the 8x32's back. What I did just do (yes, it's the middle of the night, so take it for what it's worth), is put on my regular glasses, and tried the previous model Foresta 8x42's down the dimly lit back alley, and could see that it wasn't too bad, but it definitely limited my vision of the whole field of view to maybe 80% by wearing my glasses. That I could tell easily, so I wouldn't probably recommend them for eyeglass wearers. I only wear sunglasses occasionally with bins, but if the eye relief isn't enough to see the whole picture, then I just won't wear them, as it is with these older Forestas.

In contrast, the newer Vixen Foresta 8x42's are fine in that regard. I don't think I ever tried my regular glasses with the 8x32's, since my sunglasses didn't work, though they are more curved in profile. So the 8x32's might well have been better for eye relief, even with the recessed element from the eyecup that doesn't go all the way down by Vixen's design in the '32's.

I would say that if you already have the newer 8x42's, then you're probably not missing anything optically vs the older model. I haven't compared them both directly outside in the field yet, though just from using the newer Foresta from indoors, it just handles everything just a little better it seems, in comparison to the old model. I don't know optically they compare in tests, but just from a practical user standpoint, the newer ones just are less fussy about adjustment-more depth of focus, less CA, less field curvature. All I know right now is that I really like the older model now that I've had it outside where it begs to be used, and performs wonderfully. I hope I can say the same of the newer model too, when I take them outside for a run. I think they will hold up though, considering how well they do from the bedroom window!

Hi bluespiderweb. Thanks for your thoughtful response. You're probably right about not missing anything if I've already got the newer model. Just curiosity on my part, I suppose. Good luck with both of them!

Come to think about it some more now, I do believe the 8x30 was better in eye relief-I remember sometimes I would rest the large eyecups on my brow instead of trying to fit them into my eye sockets-and never had a problem with not having enough eye relief doing so with the eyecups down as far as they would go.

But with the previous model Foresta 8x42's, I need all I can get-I keep the eyecups retracted (full down), in order to get the best view, and my eyes are very close to the lenses. This model has smaller eye cups, so they do fit into my eye sockets much easier too, which is beneficial when eye relief is at a premium.

Yes, no doubt we're a curious lot, wondering what views might be a little different with other bins we don't have. We are also very fortunate to have such good optics today-at such good prices, for the most part too. That in itself allows us to be pretty persnickity and keep searching. So, it's not all our fault-it's those darned binocular makers making too many models to choose from!

Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of my short experiences with modern bins since my reintroduction to them a little over a year ago.

You're coming in at an exciting time in binocular design. So much improvement in the low-mid binocs.
Mainly in the roofs, but some of that rejuventes the porros, keeps them up there.
They all have re-discovered darkening, deep irising and stray light suppression vs. contrast the past few years.

Had them both out for a walk!

Well, I finally got a chance to compare the 2 Foresta 8x42's outside, and it was as I had thought-they are both excellent performers outside. Both handled the sun really well-even when looking very near the bright setting sun. Only some brief veiling glare at times-but not enough to ruin the view, and they both held the contrast very well too in that hard lighting.

The only two advantages that I perceived were that the current model Foresta just doesn't have to be focused as much-it has a greater range of depth of field, and it also has better eye relief as well, though much larger diameter eye cups than the previous model. But other than that, they are very similar in view and performance. Really nice for the money, that is certain. They both have the feel and look of well made binoculars, though how well they perform in the long run, I can't say for sure, but at least they seem that they may do well in that regard just from how they perform and handle. I really like how easily the focus wheel works on both-it's not too easy or too hard to turn-just about right for me.

The current model Foresta BWCF porro also has a lifetime transferrable warranty, so that makes it the natural choice between the two for practicality. That said, I keep the older one out as my go-to bin. I'm not exactly sure why, but it seems I may favor them for some reason or reasons that isn't quite explainable as yet. Maybe the larger diameter of the barrels, and also the texture of the rubber just make it more ergonomic for my hands, not sure. They both make me smile when I use them though!

Interesting....same power and aperature, but more focal depth of field and greater eye relief.
I strongly suspect they added an ocular element and advanced the design a bit.
That sort of change is possible now with the ultra-low loss coatings most binocs have.
Ghosting limits ocular design otherwise. It will take a little time for this possibility to
dawn on all the makers.

I want to correct a previous statement about where I bought the previous model the Foresta porro (Japan made); it is not from Televue.com, as I had mistakenly said, but rather from VixenAmerica.com, and here is the link to the Foresta closeout page. Just remember that there is no warranty on these closeouts, just replacement if defective when you receive them. They were Vixen's old distributer in the USA, and were left with a large remaining stock, so I was told when I ordered mine, and are offering them only on closeout until they are gone. Just FYI in case you want to check them out.

http://www.vixenamerica.com/Product...hort_Verbose=Foresta+Binoculars&capitis=cunae

Also, here is a very helpful link to a past discussion here on BF about the previous model Vixens, and other modern WP porros as well:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266659

Barry

Last edited:
Vixen and Tele Vue show the same address. Also the Foresta roof prism binoculars showing in the link look very much like Opticron Travellers. The sale prices shown for them are very good! The Travellers list for over $400.00. The 8x42 Porro Prism has a real wide FOV of 8.8 degree. That works out to 462'@1000 yards which is the same as the legendary Nikon 8x30 EII!

These look like good deals!

Bob

Last edited:
Right you are Bob, they do share the same physical address in NY state, but Televue doesn't show any binoculars on their website, only on the website VixenAmerica.com.

Yes, they might be good deals though I can only say that for the Foresta 8x42 with my only experience with them. Just take into consideration that they have no warranty experssed or implied-they are all on closeout, no returns unless defective.

The new Vixen USA distributer, MrStarGuy.com is handling all the warranty work, and most likely will not honor any Warranty work on these closeouts.

Addendum

Hello bluespiderweb. Glad to hear that the foresta porros worked out for you. I've found the current models to be a very good range, especially for the money. For me, the 8x32 just barely has enough effective eye relief to work with my glasses, but I can understand how these might be more challenging for other eyeglass wearers. I actually tend to use the 8x32's more than the 8x42's because of the compactness, but it's nice to have both. I am a bit curious about the older 8x42's. The only thing that's kept me from trying them has been the 15mm eye relief. Did you find the effective eye relief of the old 8x42's to be similar to or less than the 8x32's?

Peatmoss,

I can better answer your question, since I now have another Foresta 8x32 in my possession. The eye relief is very similar-I would say the same, in comparison to the older Foresta 8x42 that Televue or Vixen America has had on clearance for some time now. With glasses, I can see just about the whole field of view on either. Without, they are both fine for eye relief though.

Which one I like better is up for grabs, but this latest 8x32 is very nice, optically, as well as build quality it seems. The only thing I can find that I don't like about it is that the focuser on the new Foresta 8x32, is a bit harder to move, in comparison to both of my Foresta 8x42's, old and new, which great in that regard-not stiff at all, but smooth and easy.

I may try to get another sample and see if I can get a better focuser, as long as the optics are as good. But still, I think I could live with this new one, even as it is now, given how much I like it so far, though it could be tough to use in cold weather. It seems a bit better than my first 8x32 optically, but I haven't really had much time with it, except for a couple of hours today. So, we'll see how it works out-but as is, I'm glad I have one again, and it's a real pleasure to look through!

Hi bluespiderweb. Thanks for the update. I actually decided to take a pass on the older 8x42 foresta after reading your post concerning the lack of a warranty. I guess one can hardly blame televue, given that their relationship with vixen seems to have ceased. Coincidentally, the focuser on my 8x32 seems tighter than the other forestas I have. Luck of the draw I suppose, but I can still work with it just fine.

well, then there is that...and more:

Yes, Peatmoss, maybe the 8x32's just have a tighter focus wheel, though I don't remember it being an issue on my first one, an earlier serial number Foresta porro. Or, as it seems is often the case, the luck of the draw, or in other words, sample variation from one bin to the next. But from what I've read, it seems it's not a strong suit for waterproof porros, to have a free moving focus wheel. But then again, both my 8x42's (old and new) have free-wheeling focusers, as you would like, and are supposedly both waterproof as well. Even the two examples of the Opticron HRWP's I tried (8x&10x) had wonky focusers-and made them seem cheaper than their optics qualities, as is the case here. Though neither did I find better optically than the Forestas, and at quite a premium ($100 more) at that.

I don't know, maybe we're just too picky consumers now-a-days, given the competition and internet to spread the word. Do we just expect too much from mass produced technology? Or, maybe it is time for manufacturers (and dealers) to step up and be responsible for the media that they create in selling their wares (along with erroneous spec data). For instance, this quote from both BHphoto.com and Adorama.com, is identical on their websites, describing the current Foresta porros (which I hope came directly from the manufacturer-and not just media (advertising) hype):

About the Vixen 8x32 Porro Prism
The Vixen Optics Foresta 8x32 ZWCF Binocular is a unique triplet objective design binocular intended for outdoor enthusiasts. It features fully multi-coated optics to obtain sharp and crisp views. It is made of durable die-cast aluminum encased in rubber armored housings. Its Bak4 prisms increase light transmission.

The binocular is waterproof and nitrogen filled to prevent fogging during sudden temperature changes. It has pop-up eyecups to accommodate all viewers including eyeglass wearers. Its large center focusing knob enables rapid target focus, even if you are wearing heavy gloves during cold temperatures.

I really like the newer Foresta 8x32's very much; it's a great, comfortable view, and very sharp, with a nice wide field of view (and good depth of field as well), from this newer example I have now of the x32's. I just wish it lived up to the expectations of the media and for practical birding use, especially the focusing ease in lower than Summer temperatures. Ah well, on goes the hunt for practical perfection and execution of design, in this woefull economy.

Though I will say that overall, I can say that I prefer the Foresta 8x32 porro to the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32. But more on that in the Blue Sky thread, momentarily.

As far as the older Foresta 8x42's (8.8 degree fov)-I think they are also awesome, along with the more recent 8x42 Foresta porros, but I do understand not wanting to put out any investment in them, especially if there are "NO RETURNS", and "NO WARRANTY"! If you get a good one, as I did (8x42), from Teleview (Vixen North America), then it's probably a good deal, but if you get one with some issues, then it could be a nightmare, no doubt, unless it's a genuine defect that they will recognize...then they will repair (or more likely just replace) with another one.

That alone is a shame, and I don't have any idea how many are sitting in Teleview's warehouse-but think it is still a major quantity from what I've been told-since they can be very amazing bins for the money. Too bad Teleview can't recogize this and promote them in a less chanceful way. It is possible that they might be covered by VixenJp.com, under warranty, but who knows-communication with Japan is often not easy. Too bad, I think they are worthy of being out there in the bino and bird world, all of the porros I have encountered in the Vixen Foresta name.

Last edited:
Hi bluespiderweb. I agree with what you say. I generally take marketing pitches with a grain of salt anyway. Luckily, we've got the internet to let us get out more accurate info about these things. We're not being picky, we're just calling it like it is.

I also saw your post about the Sightrons. I don't have those, but have a theron and a vixen that are very similar. Love the ergonomics of the open hinge! If you're still looking for a mid-size, one bin that I found to be really interesting is the Leupold Mojave 8x32. It's not as bright as the 8x32 foresta porro, but it is just as sharp (imho), and the sweet spot might actually be a bit bigger too. My pair has some unevenness in the focuser, but this appears to be sample variation - there are plenty of others who had no problems with it. Prices on the Leupy are around $300 right now, but I'd bet that by the end of the year during the holiday season, the price might drop to pretty close to the foresta.

Thanks for the tip, Peat...!

Well, finally came to the conclusion that I wanted a compact 8x32 for extended carry. So, I revisited the Sightrons (3 times is a charm!), and found a cherry pair that work great for me. But as always, there was the thought of maybe there is something a bit better...I guess most can relate to this. So, I took your advice, Peatmoss, and tracked down a good deal on the Leupold Mojave 8x32's, to compare with the Sightrons.

I think there is much to say for both, and I have said elesewhere on the forums what the differences are, so I won't repeat myself here. But for me, the Sightrons work a better fit for me and my ergonomics, both in eye placement and a bit lighter weight, so better maybe in the long run they are my go to's for an easily carriable and handling 8x32.

But I do very much like the Mojave's larger FOV and bigger picture window effect, along with their more neutral color, and low light performance. But in the end, I find the Sightrons still work best for me, overall, even with the slightly amber cast to the view. But that, I now find an advantage, in that it highlights the flora that I have begun to admire and study as a mostly esthetic side interest, along with the feathered creatures, and nature in general. I imagine most people would prefer the Mojave's more neutral color cast though. But I decided to sell the Mojaves, and keep the Sightrons. So I put them up for sale in the classifieds here, if anyone is interested, because I can't afford to keep them all, as much as I would like to!

Oh, and by the way, in a matter of keeping to the thread gist, if anyone would like a good deal on some demo Foresta Porros, MrStarguy.com has an 8x32 Porro and also a Foresta 8x42 Porro, for a really attractive price. But be warned, and note this: , I do not know the condition of the demos they are selling, and I would recommend calling to find out specifically for an in hand description first before buying online (including focusing ease and collimation, etc). This warning because I had the unfortunate experience to order a demo Vixen Geoma Porro, listed as a salesman's sample, and when they arrived, they were not in very good nic, and were out of collimation, to my surprise. Also, make sure they tell you their return policy on demos, as it seems they may be reluctant to refund, but rather give store credit if you are not pleased. Fair warning, but these still may be a very good deal, if they are in good order. They are two of my favorites, and probably will be for a long time to come:

http://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Foresta-8x32CF-Binocular-Demo-Model-p/rc14501.htm

http://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Foresta-8x42CF-Binocular-Demo-Model-p/rc14502.htm

Last edited:
Hello Barry. I understand what you're saying about the Sightron coatings. The warm amber tint is actually quite common among a lot of models, and it really does seem to add a bit of pop to wildlife. The Mojaves, to my eye, are generally neutral, but to me seem a bit deficient in the green, which can render nature scenes as neutral, but a bit bland. That's also a good call regarding the foresta demos at Mr Star Guy. If they're in good shape then they're really bargains, about 1/2 price. A good choice for the "porro-curious"!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back