• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying binoculars (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

does any one know any good place to get a pair of binoculars in the north west of england or the bordering areas of yorkshire? if i wanted a long range one whats the cost and what should i be looking for??? how do i get best value for a good price?

First of all I am no expert-there are some very knowledgeable people on here and hopefully this 'bump' will generate some answers for you.
1.There is a place just outside Warrington called Focalpoint Optics. It's run by a guy called Paul. He is extremely helpful and does not put pressure on you. His shop/office backs onto open fields and you can line them up and try them.
2. What you must do is decide how much you can justify paying and look at everything below that price.
3. I could see massive differences between £100 & £200 etc but when I got to £300 I struggled to note any major improvement-even up to £1000.00. Others will disagree so I think it depends largely on your own vision/spectacles/feel etc.
4. There was (and maybe still is) a good stockist just outside Wakefield-on the road to Denby Dale. Can't be more specific but someone will know it.

thanks so much david! will have a look at them when i get a chance.
is there any webistes which provide information on binoculars? i hve avery simple and cheap one and it needs upgrading. wil start looking for one no wincase i go on holiday anytime soon.

Warehouse Express do some great deals on bins. An excellent buy would be something like the Nikon Sporter 8x36 DF, which I bought for my better half and they are incredibly good for only £89. Buying online is easy and safe, the only down side being you can't try them out.

Well that's my suggestion anyway!

Mark Grantham
BTO

I'd always try before you buy. By al means shop around the internet, but I would never buy any binocualr without first trying them against others.

In the NW try Focalpoint as well as reserves with shops (RSPB reserve shops might stock binos inc some of their own very good models).

Spend as much as you can afford, but £100-£300 will buy a very good pair these days. Look at Opticron, Minox, Nikon and RSPB models.

thanks so much all of you for your advice! i will start looking at makes models and then see what ii come up with. hope to have a pair in the next 2 weeks!

I have a week to buy my binoculars and time for on plac to checkout only - would it be wiser checking out the warehouse express, infocus or focalpoint?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back