• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Fl's or Swarovski EL (1 Viewer)

bmacrc46

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so I am going to ask a question that probably get asks by every newbie that inspires several upstanding members to suggest that the newbie learn how to use the search function.

Anyway, as I get older, and perhaps a little senial, I have decided I should spend way to much money on a pair of binoculars. I have narrowed down the search to the Zeiss FL's or the Swarovski EL's. I currently own some Pentax SP's 8X43 and WP 10X42. From what I have read both the Zeiss and Swarovski's seem to get great reviews. Is there anything that should disuade me from choosing one of these or am completely nuts because everyone on this forum already knows that there are a couple of other very good bins at much less money?

By the way, my uses vary from animal watching at all times of the day and night (winter with snow cover and some visibility) to spotting arrows in archery competition. I add the note about archery because field of view does not matter but magnification, clarity and brightness do.

Well, I am a cheapskate at heart, but if you have the money and want to spend it on one of those two, spend and enjoy. You worked for it, so you might as well get all you can from it.

There is really nothing to favor one over the other, in my opinion. It gets down to which one suits you best when you have it in your hand. Each will present a bit different look than the other. In my particular case, I'd get the Swaro EL, simply because I prefer the way it feels in my hands.

There is nothing wrong to splurge a little from time to time. Swarovski EL is an excellent glass and I like it a lot. Maybe you can go to their subforums to seek advice on their comparison.

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so I am going to ask a question that probably get asks by every newbie that inspires several upstanding members to suggest that the newbie learn how to use the search function.

Anyway, as I get older, and perhaps a little senial, I have decided I should spend way to much money on a pair of binoculars.
LOL! Go ahead and spend it, you deserve it. I recently went through much angst trying to decide a similar question, and eventually bought the Swarovski EL 8.5x42. I´m delighted with these binos, they may have cured me of bino-buying obsession forever. I tried them against whatever I could (including Leica Ultravid HD), and preferred the "total package" of the EL´s. Note that I couldn´t find a pair of Zeiss FL to try in this country. I think each type of binocular has its own adherents, and I also think the optical difference between the "top three" is probably minimal. As always, it´s advisable to try them in your own hands, and to your own eyes, before deciding, because the factors that influence your final decision may be very specific to you. But I would recommend trying the EL´s, as I said, I´m a very happy little bino-bunny since I got them. Best Wishes and Good Luck with your choice, let us know what you decide.:t:
P.S. - try trawling through these threads to see how I arrived at the EL´s:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=128206
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=127244

Last edited:
... There is really nothing to favor one over the other, in my opinion. It gets down to which one suits you best when you have it in your hand. Each will present a bit different look than the other. ...

Well said.

And being said, I have both binoculars in addition to the Leica Ultravid HD. In order of my particular preference, if I had to choose, I'd rate the three in the following order:

Leica HD
Swarovski EL
Zeiss FL

Again, it's a personal preference, and all three are better than anyone has a right to expect.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

PS -- And like Sancho suggested -- It's a "total package" thing. Try them all, go with your gut. There is no wrong decision (although there may be an optimal choice for you).

Last edited:
I've owned a 7x42 FL for 20 months and was very impressed by its brightness and resolution. The reason I sold the FL's was that I noticed the diopter shifted unintended whenever I changed the IPD, i.e. when I adjusted the barrels out or in a couple of times.
Since there are no clickstops except on 'zero' diopter this means there is no proper locking of diopter positions except on the 'zero' position. This is unacceptable for a top end binocular. I got so angry by what I consider a design flaw, I sold the FL's to a birding mate for only 250 Euro's, after warning him the diopter gave trouble. He didn't mind and uses the 'zero' position and is quite happy with them.

My advice: buy the Swarovski's.

Kind regards,

Ronald

I've had the 8x42 FLs for 1 1/2 years and have only set the diopter once when I first bought them and have not had the setting shift since then.

I tested the Leica HD, Swarovski EL, and the Zeiss FL at the Cape May Bird Observatory optics shop before I bought the FLs. The open-bridge shape of the ELs was just not for me from the start. So it was between the HDs & the FLs. After over an hour outside testing each bin I went with the FLs. I just like their feel in the hand and the view is just perfect. I also love the smooth one-revolution focus wheel.

But, as has been said already, it is indeed a very personal opinion and you really need to do a similar evaluation with the two bins in your hands with your own eyes. Best of luck. You certainly can't go wrong either way.

Considering your intended applications and the two bins in question I would probably opt for the FL (no surprise there). I have owned both of these lines of bins and though both are at the top of the proverbial heap I think the FL is a bit more of a next generation design. Because of its ability to control color fringing and through the use of the Abbe Koenig prisms I think you get a brighter and sharper image with it.

Look at it this way, I don't know what type of archery activity you engage in but the target lines on that McKenzie or possibly the field target are going to be a bit easier to see with the Zeiss.

Just my opinion.

When I compared the Zeiss and Swaros about three years ago, my qualitative impression was that Swaro was sharper. Though was a small sample, I suspect that if you want a sharper Zeiss, you'll have to cherry-pick from a bunch of them. Zeiss may be a bit brighter; I'd prefer more detail. Since buying the Swaro I've been trying to induce a tinge of buyer's remorse, but it just hasn't happened.

Well, I looked at both examples and I feel that I could be happy with either one. I did not have a strong preference as both were as clear as could be. I really wanted to compare them side by side in extremely low light conditions but it was not possible.

I found a very good deal this morning on the Zeiss 10X42 so I went ahead and ordered them. Late this morning I found a great deal on a pair of Swarovski's 8X32 so I bought those as well. It looks like I no longer have to decide which way to go since I will have both

Well, I looked at both examples and I feel that I could be happy with either one. I did not have a strong preference as both were as clear as could be. I really wanted to compare them side by side in extremely low light conditions but it was not possible.

I found a very good deal this morning on the Zeiss 10X42 so I went ahead and ordered them. Late this morning I found a great deal on a pair of Swarovski's 8X32 so I bought those as well. It looks like I no longer have to decide which way to go since I will have both
Congratulations!!! A great philosophy....when undecided, choose both options. (Unfortunately I was limited to only one option when choosing Mrs. S., but that´s another story....) Tell us how you find your new binos in the field!:t:

Good choice. I was much more impressed with the Swaro 8x32 than with the 10x42, probably because the excellent grip and wider field of view. The Zeiss 10x42 is an all round binocular which would serve well on a monopod for getting the best out of the resolution...
Have fun! B :)

Although I don't buy two expensive binoculars at once, I found I accumulated quite a few over the years. So your approach is more practical.

I like your approach. ;)

It sort of simplifies things when you can buy both. I would say that you pretty much have all of your bases covered.

Hello Everyone,
Anyway, as I get older, .

If you wear glasses you should try both to see which is most suitable. Binos are a personal thing and there is no right or wrong in anyone's purchase. Our eyes are all slightly different and you really do have to try think first.

Both are excellent binos and I am sure you will be happy whichever you choose. I have tried both and preferred the Swaro although I ended up getting Ultravid's.

Well said.

And being said, I have both binoculars in addition to the Leica Ultravid HD. In order of my particular preference, if I had to choose, I'd rate the three in the following order:

Leica HD
Swarovski EL
Zeiss FL

Again, it's a personal preference, and all three are better than anyone has a right to expect.

+1 to the above

I tried FL, did not think it had any advantages at all over EL.

Here in the US the Zeiss FL's now cost much more than the EL's . Adorama has the 8x42 Zeiss FL's for $2,249.99 and the 8.5x42 EL's for $1,899.00 .

Here in the US the Zeiss FL's now cost much more than the EL's . Adorama has the 8x42 Zeiss FL's for $2,249.99 and the 8.5x42 EL's for $1,899.00 .

My heavens, when did that happen? It was only a few months ago that the FLs were right at $1600.

:eek!:
to think that only a couple of weeks ago Sherwoods were selling them for £850 (sold out pretty quick tho')

:eek!:
to think that only a couple of weeks ago Sherwoods were selling them for £850 (sold out pretty quick tho')

when I bought my EL, the price was all over the place. Some were at MSRP, some had slight markup. And there were always some shaddy camera stores in NY that advertised it for a few hundred dollars. So always do price comparison. Another experience of mine was there was always a better price as soon as I pulled the trigger after waiting hard and tough for the best deal. This has proven true for me over and over. So I gave up checking price after I am done.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back