• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please recommend bins under $200 (1 Viewer)

rjwims

Certified newbie
Hi

I am just getting into birding and need recommendations for a first set of bins in the $200 range.

I seem to be drawn to raptors at the moment, so I am not sure as to 8 x 42 or 10x42 or otherwise. Secondary is looking at birds on my wooded 2 acre property.

While I can't afford to spend much over $200 at the moment, I don't want to throw $$$ away, if nothing in this range is any good.

Any recommendations are appreciated, also links to a good deal as well

Thanks

Richard

Richard,
For $200 you can't get a good roof prism binocular, only something that may sort of look like a good roof prism binocular. But you can get a very good view from a Porro prism style. I'd recommend going for the view now, and as you can afford it later, stepping into the nice style and convenience features of roofs. The Nikon Action EX is an example of what $150 or so can accomplish. Leupold sells a nice one too.
Ron

I'd stay with 8 x 42 for a 1st binocular. They are more versatile, are brighter and have wider fields of view, and have better depth of field (That's the part of the view in front of and behind the object you are focused on. This is important when you are looking for a bird that is in a "brushy" area.) than 10 x 42's.

There are quite a few good 8 x42 binoculars in your price range. I can recommend the Vortex Diamondback 8 x 42. It is a roof prism. I have one that I use as my "car" binocular. It is very well constructed and is surprisingly good optically. It is being upgraded. It will still be priced in your range. See www.cameralandny.com for more details on it. You can find them at a good price now. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback8x42 (Specs given are for 8x although magnification is stated as 10x)

Bushnell makes good ones in both Porro Prism and Roof Prism in the $200.00 category. Nikon has excellent Porro Prism binoculars in this price range. And there are others.

Eagle Optics has a good website that you can search using your price category. www.eagleoptics.com.
Bob

Last edited:
The Nikon action extreme is a porro while the diamondback is a roof type???

Is this correct?

Which would be better or what others are in this range?

Thanks again

The Nikon Action EXs are an excellent bin in that price range. I like the 7x35s in particular. Even if you become absorbed with birding and feel the need for high end bins later, these will serve you well as a wide field and back up bin.

Hi

I am just getting into birding and need recommendations for a first set of bins in the $200 range.

I seem to be drawn to raptors at the moment, so I am not sure as to 8 x 42 or 10x42 or otherwise. Secondary is looking at birds on my wooded 2 acre property.

While I can't afford to spend much over $200 at the moment, I don't want to throw $$$ away, if nothing in this range is any good.

Any recommendations are appreciated, also links to a good deal as well

Thanks

Richard

Can you borrow $10.00 from somebody?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-MONARCH-A...ryZ31711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.myrtleelectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=103542

Last edited:
I'd personally do the ZRS over the Monarch. It has a wider, flatter field and is a bit sharper than the Monarch. I happen to prefer the overall image of the ZRS to the Diamondback, but the Diamondback is a nice binocular at that price.

I'd personally do the ZRS over the Monarch. It has a wider, flatter field and is a bit sharper than the Monarch. I happen to prefer the overall image of the ZRS to the Diamondback, but the Diamondback is a nice binocular at that price.

What kind of warranty comes with the Zen Ray's?

Thanks

First it is a 30 day return for refund policy. Next it is a limited lifetime. The limits are the usual stuff that apply to manufacturing defect and do not cover the abuse or misuse of the binocular. Zen Ray also visually inspects each binocular before they are shipped.

Outside of ED glass, you get the most for your money with 8x42 vs. 10x42. At 400-500 dollars you can get a good 10x. Bushnell ED Legend may be worth waiting for and costs less.

Outside of ED glass, you get the most for your money with 8x42 vs. 10x42. At 400-500 dollars you can get a good 10x. Bushnell ED Legend may be worth waiting for and costs less.

In the $400 range, would the ZR en's be a better way to go?

I am thinking of 2 pairs...1 for my wife and 1 for me. Also , 1 around $200 and the other maybe an EN.

I am just a tad concerned as to support down the road with ZR's (if needed)

Thanks

In my view, the ZEN ED is the way I would go. There, you get at least 99% of the image quality of the top end glass for a small part of the price. The ZRS HD is a good deal for the price, but is a step below the ED.

I am just a tad concerned as to support down the road with ZR's (if needed)

Thanks

I think everyone, including Zen Ray is concerned with the issue. One way to look at, is that anyone bringing a new product into the already pretty competitive mid price binocular line, is that they would be pretty foolish to do it with a poor product. I have seen nothing with the Zen Ray binoculars that makes me think there is a potential construction issue. But the longevity issue does remain.

I asked the people at Zen Ray and they said their return rate is less than 2%. They think about half of that is for legitimate issues with normal sort of things. They also think about half of that is with people just taking advantage of the 30 day return policy and at least some of that is for a free binocular to go on a trip with. But that is an issue with any sort of a decent return policy.

I ordered a 8x ZRS HD from ZEN RAY last night. From what I have read about it this should be a decent glass. If it isn't what I expect it to be I will return it and order a ZEN ED.

It will be used for hunting (bow and muzzleloading) so performance in low light conditions and physical size are what I will be judging them on.......................red

The ZR sounds reliable enough so far. Up to you if you want that now or later. It is a very good piece of optics for beginner birdwatching. If you then ruin it and need another one, well you are used to good optics by then. One can bird successfully with much less....

The two bins that immediately came to mind were the Zen ZRS and the Vortex Diamondback. Also most certainly worthy of consideration would be the Pentax DCF HS 8x36 and the Leupold Acadia 8x42..at least in terms of roofs.

At or under the $200 price point for porros I would suggest the Leupold Cascade Porros 8x42s, the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32, the Bushnell Legend 8x42, the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 or 8x40...as well as the Leupold Yosemite 8x30 or even 6x30. Some of those porros actually better the image provided by the roofs in several areas. Some of them though can actually be a bit bulkier overall.

Well I am currently half way to my 2 sets of bins goal.

I inherited a pair of Nikon Action 7x35's , so I can slightly increase my budget for the second pair

I started another thread, asking for help in locating threads explaining roof vs porro .

I need to eductae myself fairly quickly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks everyoine for the input

Richard

Richard,

I will go check out your other thread to see exactly what you are asking for. Before checking though you may want to check out a place like Eagle Optics. They have some nice binocular comparison guides that can educate you fairly quickly on different binocular designs.

Just a thought.

Richard,

I will go check out your other thread to see exactly what you are asking for. Before checking though you may want to check out a place like Eagle Optics. They have some nice binocular comparison guides that can educate you fairly quickly on different binocular designs.

Just a thought.

On my way

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back