• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular shops west of London (1 Viewer)

mbeard

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows about any decent binocular shops between Staines and Swindon. I am driving that way Friday/Saturday and thought that I would take the opportunity to look at some alpha bins and muse over the 40ish vs 30ish objective lens decision. With luck I will come to a conclusive choice and even buy, but it is not something to rush into.

Thanks for any recommendations

Mike

To answer my own question I found a London Camera Exchange in Reading but was not able to get there to establish if it was worth going to.

To answer my own question I found a London Camera Exchange in Reading but was not able to get there to establish if it was worth going to.

I went to LCE in Worcester and got a superb deal on a second pair of Hawke Frontier ED's (8 x 43) for £259.00. It might be worth attempting to get a similar deal in Reading. They might price-match their colleagues :t: Let me know if you need a copy of the invoice.;)

The one than springs to mind is LCE sited opposite Reading train terminal although viewing / testing conditions aren't exactly ideal. I think there is an optics shop somewhere in Swindon. Best bet is to get a copy of a monthly birdwatching magazine and see if there are any optics field days near you during the coming months.....much more relaxed and the "alpha" bins should be available. As you're not in a rush then perhaps consider a day for the British Birdfair

Yes, I found a photography shop in Swindon but they did not have much of a range of bins and nothing of the calibre I am looking at.

re: optics field days I am debating Kay Optical at Pagham, In Focus at Rye Harbour or going to In Focus at the London Wetland Centre as I know they have something of a viewing platform. There is an optics event at Pulborough as well but they have told me that they do not have Zeiss and I have been able to discount Leica in a camera shop in Lewes.

Mike

Mike

If you don't mind going to a gun shop FA Anderson's in East Grinsted sell both Swarovski and Leica gear. There is also Chris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells which sells Swarovski and Zeiss.

Paul

Mike

If you don't mind going to a gun shop FA Anderson's in East Grinsted sell both Swarovski and Leica gear. There is also Chris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells which sells Swarovski and Zeiss.

Paul

Thanks Paul, good suggestion except that I am hoping to "tick" Swaro and Zeiss in one trip, even better if I can compare with the Minox HGs as they seem to be my base line at the minute.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back