• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First bins for daughter, sub $100 (1 Viewer)

IMHO, the 6x30 Yosemites are the best bet for young birders.
Bright, wide field of view and much easier to hold steady which many adults forget about.
Most kids have trouble holding 8x or 10x steady for extended periods of time and then loose interest.
Many pairs given to kids and adults have survived just fine and the adults prefer them for many situations.
Leupold backs up their products and servicing is easy in case you ever need it and their wide distribution net work makes them easy to find.
The 6x30's are amazing little glasses and work so well for so many people.
Art

Now that one made me laugh (in a good natured sort of way). For one, I can't believe you posted it. Two, I am not arguing with you. :)

;)

People take things too seriously in this life. I probably offend many, but rarely will you find me offended. This chapter in my life finds me with the loss of several friends for various reason and a wife undergoing treatment for breast cancer, great prognosis but chemo and radiation arent for sissys.

What I have learned from the experience she is going thru is that no one knows what life holds for us in the future, or that there is even a future held for us. It may end tonight, tomorrow or 30 years from now. I have learned that all the business accolades, stock options and time we spend trying to impress means very little when it gets right down to it. If you arent enjoying your time here on earth, you are wasting it. So even though some may squirm a bit at my comments, I am enjoying my time. 3:)

Another vote for the Leupold Yosemite, these are all 6x30.
These are a very nice binocular for any age. Compact with
very good optics.

I am planning ahead for my grandchildren.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0946.JPG
    DSCN0946.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 53
Another vote for the Leupold Yosemite, these are all 6x30.
These are a very nice binocular for any age. Compact with
very good optics.

I am planning ahead for my grandchildren.

Jerry
You guy's will make me regret my recent purchased of my Nikon Aculon A211. For a few extra $$$ I could have bought the Yosemite, :-(

Last edited:
You guy's will make me regret my recent purchased of my Nikon Aculon A211. For a few extra $$$ I could have bought the Yosemite, :-(

Don't feel bad, there's nothing wrong with the Aculon, I've found
them to be a small step better than the Action models. They are a solid
choice in the entry level.

This thread was about a binocular for the younger set, and the Yosemite
is nice because of its small size and weight, and the IPD ( interpupillary
distance) goes down to fit a small face.

Jerry

Indeed: the Acculon 211 has its charms. Monstrous field width, once you
accept a bit more size. When I'm new to a dense stretch of woods, I take
the old 10-degree or 11-degree 7x35s out. Awesome for searching or following
fast-moving birds, squirrels, sports, and fleeing deer. Moderate size was
specified up-front, and the Yosemites are pretty slim and light.
The contrast on the Acculons is very impressive for a wide-field.

Last edited:
Thank you all for you thoughts and insights. I ended up going with the 8x30 Yosemites, she seems pleased with them so far. She was out in our yard spotting the next day and told me she had seen a red bellied woodpecker and the summer tanager that we have hanging around :)

The smaller IPD is spot on for her and they are a very comfortable size and weight. My hands are not small by any means and I found them comfortable to hold. I do have to say that the clip system for attaching the neck strap is extremely difficult to install, not least because they're aren't even any directions . It comprises a clip attached to a split ring for the binocular attachment and then a second clip at the end of the adjustable part of the strap. Getting the split rings into the hole on the binoculars was not at all easy. Also the strap is quite long with very little range of adjustment available. On the plus side it is comfortable and seems well made.

Having read various reviews online I was intrigued to see the quality of the optics for myself as my own bins (Opticron HR 8x42) are at least 20 years old and I had seen a number of comments to the effect that the optical technology had come a long way. I know it isn't a fair comparison as mine were more expensive (I am guessing about $250 way back then??) and are 42mm as opposed to 30mm but still I was a bit worried I would see the Yosemites and start thinking I needed something new too. So I was relieved to see that mine have not dated to the point of obsolescence just yet!

Thanks again, everyone.

The annoying neck strap attachment carries across the other Yosemite-like 30s as well.
The strap is a bit excessive for the light weight, too. I put two clip badge lanyards together
and used needlenose pliers to work the clips through the little mountpoint. They have
safety release blocks so they're a bit safe than string-based gear.

...Having read various reviews online I was intrigued to see the quality of the optics for myself as my own bins (Opticron HR 8x42) are at least 20 years old and I had seen a number of comments to the effect that the optical technology had come a long way. ... I was relieved to see that mine have not dated to the point of obsolescence just yet!

Most improvements have been in bringing roof prism models up to (and in some cases beyond) the optical performance levels of a good porro. A good porro model from the last few decades, especially if multicoated, will always be (optically) a darn good binocular.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back