• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for those who own just one pair of binoculars... (1 Viewer)

AJP

...which I realize is probably about .05% of this forum. ;)

But seriously...I am chomping at the bit to start exploring the world anew with my Swarovski ELs. The problem is, I do a lot of birdwatching from my home, but, I also like to have binoculars in the car for those unexpected, on-the-go sightings. I am going to have to remember to carry them back and forth every time I leave the house (groan) but I did wonder how everyone else manages this with only a single pair.

You do have a good question, and my answer is that it is very hard to do it with
only one pair of binoculars. For many here, you have your best one available
to take along when birding or observing. If you have a nice view from your home
then you do need to dedicate another one for that purpose, close by and at the ready,
reserve a shelf space.
As far as the vehicle, you may want something else in there at all times.

You are the one to decide what other binoculars to choose for those.

Lots of choices for those, if you spend much time on here, reading all of
the posts.
That's why its fun for many on here.

Jerry

Last edited:
What's the size on the ELs? If I had just one size it would have to be 8x30 or 8x32.
I think the hidden factor that tilts me off 25mm is the way larger lenses seem less sensitive to
window glass distortions. I do a lot of looking from my picture window since we're in the woods
practically. 30mm seems plenty bright, at any rate, and 25 does better outside than in.

I carry a "go bag" or "war bag" so I have a pair of compacts in there. I have scaled back my "war bag" as at one time it was a full 3 compartment range bag and weighed about 10-15 pounds! Now its a Lowe camera bag (shoulder/messenger type) and only has some true essentials. Theoretically its always near me whether I'm driving, in a motel, riding with someone else, or just sitting at home. WARNING: THIS LEVEL OF PREPAREDNESS WILL BECOME ADDICTING!

They are 8x32. Very light. But what a pain to have to transfer them all the time!

I agree that I should keep a lookout for another pair of decent but inexpensive bins, but it's going to be a while since I am just now starting to pay off the Swarvos on a college student's budget.

David, I too will be looking for a decent "on the go" bag...but lucky you, you don't already have a purse to deal with. |<|

Scrape up a few bucks for a Pentax 9x28 DCF LV. It's under $200.00 now.

It's small enough to carry around in a jacket pocket or a big shirt pocket and tough enough to keep under the seat of your car, with long enough eye relief to make using it easy. FOV is rather narrow and edges not so good but you can't have everything at this price. It's a very versatile, well built cheap binocular: My son back packed all over the Andes Mountains in Chile, Bolivia and Peru with mine, beat it half to death, dropped it in Lake Titicaca and came back home with it still working. I still carry it in my car all the time where ever I find room for it in case I need it real quick.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-lv-9x28-roof-prism-binocular

Bob

AJP,

If in your situation, I'd just get a purse large enough to holster them. When my girlfriend was using an old pair of 8x32s I had, she carried them around in one of those sling-style messenger bags that seem to be en-vogue. Now that she's been using my larger 7x43, she sticks them in her hydration pack, at my recommendation (I also carry my pure birding binos in a 10-15L hydration pack).

I do have a pair that stick in my work truck at all times, though - some battered 10x42 B&L Elites. The roads on the Refuges I've worked are often abhorrent and as I use these binos for incidental observations, I want to them to be quick to the eyes without covers/cases.

PS: As a recent college graduate swamped in loan debt, I sure am envious of your ability to afford the alphas!

Best,
Justin

Like David in NC I'm a 'tactical bag' user, although the cases for many bins come with a belt-loop of some sort, but then you might not wish to be strapped into wearing a belt all the time ...

I carry a "go bag" or "war bag" so I have a pair of compacts in there. I have scaled back my "war bag" as at one time it was a full 3 compartment range bag and weighed about 10-15 pounds! Now its a Lowe camera bag (shoulder/messenger type) and only has some true essentials. Theoretically its always near me whether I'm driving, in a motel, riding with someone else, or just sitting at home. WARNING: THIS LEVEL OF PREPAREDNESS WILL BECOME ADDICTING!

Same here. I carry a Mountainsmith lumbar bag (older version of this one: http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/lumbar-packs/lumbar-packs/day-tls.html ) with me just about everywhere. Some things like bins, compact camera, ibuprofen, ear plugs, pens and pencils, maps, and Swiss Army knife stay in it permanently, while other things get switched out depending on whether I'm going on a day hike or to the office/lab.

AJP - it's true most of us have more than one bin, but almost all of us started that way so we remember how it is. My Bushnell 8x42 Banner went with me everywhere I could stand to carry it, then it was my Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle, then I switched to Zeiss 7x42 Classic but it was so big I got a B&L 7x26 Custom which was my first dedicated bag/briefcase bin, the latter was eventually replaced with a Leica 8x32 BA Ultra, and now my dedicated everywhere bin is a Leica 8x20 Ultravid. It's nice to have along for opportunistic birding--for example, this morning I saw 15 species of wood warblers on my ~20 min walk to work.

--AP

Last edited:
For most of my birding life ( 52 years out of 54 ) I've only ever had one pair of binoculars at a time. It soon becomes habit to put your bins into whatever bag you use ( in my case, usually a 25l. day sack ) when you go out, and take them out again when you get back. Its got that instinctive with me now that I'm more likely to forget to put my trousers on than leave my bins behind ( or that could just be down to age ;) ).

Having a second pair, preferably compact, makes perfect sense. If you carry a purse anyway, you can just toss them in there.

I rarely leave a pair in the car because of the heat, but many do that. If so, consider something like the Sightron 8x32 at about $190. Not compact, but by all accounts a great view, and $2000 less than your Swarovski so nothing to worry about.

Eventually, if you wind up like some of us nuts, you'll have pair for the office, one for dedicated birding, one for travel, a true compact for when size/weight is a concern, etc. Try to avoid that. We are entirely nuts, after all. ;)

Like Alexis I use a compact dual-hinge bino as default. I have the 8x20 Ultravid but my new fave is the 8x25 Swaro Pocket.

Mark

PS: Just saw Chris B's entry. Earlier I was going to modify the somewhat off-color and gender specific saying used by Catholic gents upon leaving the house: "Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch...and binos." Don't leave home without 'em. ;)

Last edited:
I have one pair of binoculars and I just take my rucksack containing them when I go out birdwatching. When I am driving I sometimes see relatively unusual birds, but I am not usually in a position to stop and look through binoculars at them anyway. I've soon forgotten what it may have been (I become even older later this month!), so I don't fret at missing a bird!

I rarely leave a pair in the car because of the heat, but many do that. If so, consider something like the Sightron 8x32 at about $190. Not compact, but by all accounts a great view, and $2000 less than your Swarovski so nothing to worry about.

My thoughts exactly.

;)

Somebody lock this thread down fast - if the OH´s find out there are folks out there using just ONE pair of binos and some kind of fancy-ass bag, we´re all in serious trouble!;)

Great advice, guys! Down the road, when I collect enough pennies from the ground, I will buy a decent second pair around $200. Will keep your suggestions in mind! :t:

As a recent college graduate swamped in loan debt, I sure am envious of your ability to afford the alphas!
I guess I have to tell the truth now....I had $400 saved up and the rest I am paying back to my parents in installments. |:$|

For most of my birding life ( 52 years out of 54 ) I've only ever had one pair of binoculars at a time. It soon becomes habit to put your bins into whatever bag you use ( in my case, usually a 25l. day sack ) when you go out, and take them out again when you get back. Its got that instinctive with me now that I'm more likely to forget to put my trousers on than leave my bins behind ( or that could just be down to age ;) ).

Wadda minute there, Chris! You've been a birder since you were TWO years old?!! (you should be in one of those TV commercials - "even then he knew"). Your life list must number in the thousands by now.

Also, what kind of binoculars fit a 2-year-old's face? Not even the Yosemite's IPD closes that narrow.

Say hello to Mrs Butterworth for me. She's a real sweet lady. ;)

Brock

Last edited:
Great advice, guys! Down the road, when I collect enough pennies from the ground, I will buy a decent second pair around $200. Will keep your suggestions in mind! :t:

I guess I have to tell the truth now....I had $400 saved up and the rest I am paying back to my parents in installments. |:$|

Ah hah! Well, better than paying 27% to MasterCard ("master the possibilities... including being in debt the rest of your life") should be their actual tagline. Cut mine up.

Did your dad ask you, "AJ, why do you need such an expensive pair of binoculars? Your Aunt Maude likes to watch birds, too, and she seems perfectly content with her $300 Monarch 7 except when it's overcast and shows veiling glare."

I bet you answered: "But daddy, I just gots to have 'em, I just gots to, 'cause Dennis on Birdforum said they are the best!" ;)

And then mum leaned over and whispered in dad's ear: "Don't discourage her, Myron, she may have finally found herself a man, and if they get married, he can pay off the balance." :smoke:

Well, in case you don't meet Mr. Right before you graduate, I hope you are earning a practical degree such as a business or an engineering or a natural gas industrial process operations degree and not a liberal arts or a general arts degree like mine, which I keep in the bathroom in case I run out of toilet paper.

Brock

Wadda minute there, Chris! You've been a birder since you were TWO years old?!! (you should be in one of those TV commercials - "even then he knew"). Your life list must number in the thousands by now.

Also, what kind of binoculars fit a 2-year-old's face? Not even the Yosemite's IPD closes that narrow.

Say hello to Mrs Butterworth for me. She's a real sweet lady. ;)

Brock

I do think age 2 may be a little young to use binoculars unless it is
just a toy, I have experience. The young ones's can enjoy watching birds under age 2.

Here is Mrs. Butterworth, in the sugarfree version. ;)

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0977.JPG
    DSCN0977.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 39
Wadda minute there, Chris! You've been a birder since you were TWO years old?!!

Brock

( Deep, deep sigh ) 52 out of 54 years birding Brock. ;) If I was still a 'yoof' of 54 I'd have to go around behaving myself, instead of getting away with embarrassing friends and family because they believe "The poor old bugger can't help it". :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back