• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole in Yucatan (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hello,

In Celestun (Northwest of Yucatan) I took two pictures of an Oriole.
It's an Orange Oriole or a Hooded Oriole. Who can confirm the ID?

Thx again.

Greetings,
Lennaert

Attachments

• Oriole.jpg
    Oriole.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Oriole-2.jpg
    Oriole-2.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 202
The wide based, big bill this bird shows fits more a juv Altamira Oriole imo but the orange head, yellow-orange body visible on left pic plus whitish upper wingbar could make this bird a young Orange Oriole. Not sure on this one.

Also had a look at this, and due to straight looking culmen an the bigness of the bill along with other characters exclude Hooded at least. The lack of a black tip to lower mandible would exclude Altamira except juv? Looks a bit to long tailed for Altamira (?)
Adult Orange have black tails, juvenile and immatures olive. The subject bird doesn´t look juvenile fresh, wonder when it´s taken?
Not sure of this one.

JanJ

Orioles in Yucatan are a real pain in imm /fem plumage... took me a long time to see an Orange i was happy with...

this could be a Hooded or Orange from pic two where the bill looks much more slender and possibly decurved but in pic one the bill looks quite heavy, even suggesting Altamira as Eduardo points out above...

I'd leave it

Tim

Hi All,

The shape and bill structure seem okay for Orange Oriole, but I’m not sure the bill is clear enough to determine its true culmen shape. I also cannot tell what color the back is (are there notes on this?). I have never seen a juvenile Orange Oriole, which this would have to be if indeed this species. Also lacking is any trace of a white patch at the base of the primaries, but again, this may be age related (but the lack of it is suggestive of a Hooded Oriole sort of wing). The bill is not stout enough for Altamira in my experience, and the bird looks slimmer and longer tailed too, more in line with Orange or Hooded. I guess it’s out of my league, but I have nagging Hooded Oriole doubts.

Here is an Altamira Oriole labeled as an Orange:
http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u36/jhapeman/large/39532297.photosWE9L4723.jpg

Here is a real Orange Oriole:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/288196115/1292614556049221485mrEmFu

Here are some Hooded for comparison:
http://www.geocities.com/tgrey41/Pages/HoodedOriolep.html

What is really cool, however, is that my three year old daughter nailed down the identification of the Altamira Oriole in the above link just by looking at the oriole plates in Howell & Webb, without any prompting or encouragement on my part! Way to go Linnea! :t: :t: :t:

Chris

Hello everbody,

First of all. Thanks for all comments. Orioles in imm/female plumage are indeed a pain in the ... :). In the field I thought it was a Hooded Oriole. Because the back of the bird seems to be black. Quick I took two pictures.
Later I saw Orange Orioles (I have one picture of an orange oriole). At home I wasn't sure if this bird is a Hooded Oriole.
Altamira can be excluded by size and bill-shape I think.
@Jan Picture is taken the 11th of August this year.

Hopefully we can crack this bird's ID.

Lennaert

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back